1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 18:511 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    oh Rusty is that why you are a Puritan tea totaler? If I ever need help you will be the first line of call. As it stands I enjoy nothing more than a beer with my food to supplement my diet. You see I am a vegan and need the vitamin B12 from the yeast and also calcium which is added to the water profile when brewing. As the beer is home brewd and u ...[text shortened]... rry old bean its very low in alcohol a British beer averages around 4% ABV, some are even lower.
    Yes, at one time I was an alcoholic as most of the older members on here know you should remember I had a long talk about it with someone back then. I quit march 22, 1992, it changed my life for the better. It is like a whole different life time now.

I too need B12 also, which is given to me once a month, I get a needle, or could have taken one pill a day. I decided I'd just as soon have the needle once a month. I also take a Calcium pill which looks after my low calcium.

You see no beer needed, that is just an excuse, which is another sign of being an alcoholic. I use to have more excuses than you could think of for drinking. I held down a job, actually I was the boss. So I figured I am working. I am just having a sociable drink after work.

Everyone around me saw it. I just didn't. Perhaps you see now what I mean about the lashing out??? Or perhaps you don't. Because if you figure there is no problem, then there isn't one, but that is only in your own mind. When I said talk about this, I meant in P.M., but if you'd rather discusss it in open forum, I'm good with that also.
    Kind Regards,
    -VR
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 09:351 edit
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Yes, at one time I was an alcoholic as most of the older members on here know you should remember I had a long talk about it with someone back then. I quit march 22, 1992, it changed my life for the better. It is like a whole different life time now.

I too need B12 also, which is given to me once a month, I get a needle, or could have taken one pill ...[text shortened]... .M., but if you'd rather discusss it in open forum, I'm good with that also.
    Kind Regards,
    -VR
    Its not an excuse, there is nothing wrong with drinking beer in moderation, its entirely natural, infact I think it should be a health drink!

Rusty whatever your problems were its good that you got them sorted, but I am not you and you are not me, understand? I don't have any problems drinking beer with my curry, no not a single one. If you went to excess then you have a problem, drinking a 330ml bottle of 4% ABV beer with a curry is not a problem Rusty and i don't know in what universe it could be considered a problem.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 16:332 edits
    Its not an excuse, there is nothing wrong with drinking beer in moderation, its entirely natural, infact I think it should be a health drink!

Rusty whatever your problems were its good that you got them sorted, but I am not you and you are not me, understand? I don't have any problems drinking beer with my curry, no not a single one. If you wen ...[text shortened]... curry is not a problem Rusty and i don't know in what universe it could be considered a problem.
    Correction Sir, I had a problem. You don't have a problem if you don't think you have one, no one is going to convince you other wise. You do Understand how your B12 and calium issues can be controlled without drinking? I did explain that properly enough for you did I?

You do notice how you are lashing out again? Do you know that anyone who drinks can become an alcoholic and that some are without knowing it. For example: Can you go without your beer? If so for how long? Of course I have to take your word on this, which hasn't proven to be very good from what I've seen so far in these forums. Oh yes, you need it for you B12 and calcium issues. (Not True, as I've explained to you)

Kind Regards,
    -VR

EDIT: I am sincerely sorry to hear about your health issues.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 16:45
    Correction Sir, I had a problem. You don't have a problem if you don't think you have one, no one is going to convince you other wise. You do Understand how your B12 and calium issues can be controlled without drinking? I did explain that properly enough for you did I?

You do notice how you are lashing out again? Do you know that anyone who drinks can ...[text shortened]... ed it for you B12 and calcium issues. (Not True, as I've explained to you)

Kind Regards,
    -VR
    Rusty 'lashing out' is your reality not mine, nothing i have said is lashing out, my words are logical, rational and makes perfect sense to anyone capable of synthesizing them with an unbiased mind. I do need B12 and calcium and I want them in their most natural format. If you want to get yours through popping pills thats your affair, personally i much rather enjoy making and drinking my own beer, its far more rewarding, far more tasty, way more natural and i just happen to be awesome at it. If you wish to construe that this is, 'lashing out', 'symptomatic of someone with drinking problems', then go ahead, its your reality not mine, you are not me and I am not you.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 16:582 edits
    Rusty 'lashing out' is your reality not mine, nothing i have said is lashing out, my words are logical, rational and makes perfect sense to anyone capable of synthesizing them with an unbiased mind. I do need B12 and calcium and I want them in their most natural format. If you want to get yours through popping pills thats your affair, personally i m ...[text shortened]... h drinking problems', then go ahead, its your reality not mine, you are not me and I am not you.
    Sir, you haven't answered my questions you are still lashing out about how good the beer is. You think it should be some kind of health drink. Wonder how many countries would pass that?

You may actually be better off taking the calcuim in the pill form. If you hadn't been so riled up you would have noticed I said I was taking the B12 by needle not in the pill form.

You notice where you say you enjoy making and drinking your own beer, it is far more rewarding?? This is the excuss I was talking about for drinking. You feel you are awesome, but that Sir is only in your own mind. Who has told you that recently, how much beer had they drank?

I don't know how it appears to others, but it does appear to me like you are lashing out, my old friend. As I said if you need someone to talk to, I am always here for you. Never kick someone who is trying to help you.

Sincerely,
    Kind Regards,
    -VR
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 18:23
    Sir, you haven't answered my questions you are still lashing out about how good the beer is. You think it should be some kind of health drink. Wonder how many countries would pass that?

You may actually be better off taking the calcuim in the pill form. If you hadn't been so riled up you would have noticed I said I was taking the B12 by needle not in t ...[text shortened]... s here for you. Never kick someone who is trying to help you.

Sincerely,
    Kind Regards,
    -VR
    i am not riled up and i am not lashing out. no matter how many times you try to convince yourself Rusty it won't magically become reality. No its not in my mind, i give a lot of beer away, all my recipients say its the tastiest beer evah and want more. You see Rusty i have researched my art, from choosing the choicest base malts, to the finest hops, to replicating water profiles from around the world to suit particular styles of beer, to matching a particular yeast strain to a batch in order to highlight certain characteristics, I am a master brewer!
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 18:532 edits
    Have you consulted a Doctor to ensure you are putting in the proper amounts of calcium? You B12 also has to be at a proper dosage. Your could be hurting yourself and your friends without even knowing it.
    Just a bit of advice that you should know. Especially the calcium has to be taken in proper dosage. I know, as I've read up on it. Could turn out your the master of hurting people. I'll read up on the B12 to see what it says about it.
    Very Kind Regards,
    -VR
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 19:44
    As a member, in good standing, of the "mighty" Misfits club I enjoy a beer every so often, sometimes a nice dry Vodka martini, and even rarer yet, a wee dram of a good single malt scotch. I think a person's choice to indulge or not is up to the individual just as it is up to the individual to not partake. Alcohol can be addictive to some and not to others, like any pleasurable (again an individual's choice of words) "vice". One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 19:541 edit
    Have you consulted a Doctor to ensure you are putting in the proper amounts of calcium? You B12 also has to be at a proper dosage. Your could be hurting yourself and your friends without even knowing it.
    Just a bit of advice that you should know. Especially the calcium has to be taken in proper dosage. I know, as I've read up on it. Could turn out your ...[text shortened]... f hurting people. I'll read up on the B12 to see what it says about it.
    Very Kind Regards,
    -VR
    The proper amount of calcium is determined by a water profile not by a general practitioner. For example, I get my water source from the Carron reservoir 1000 feet above sea level, its very soft. It contains according to their most recent data,

Calcium (C) 10 ppm
    Magnesium (Mg) 1 ppm
    Sodium (Na) 5 ppm
    Bicarbonate (HCO3) 35ppm
    Sulfate (SO4) 14 ppm

A typical water profile for a light balanced beer (no emphasis on the malt or the hops) is,

Calcium (C) 50 ppm
    Magnesium (Mg) 7 ppm
    Sodium (Na) 5 ppm
    Chloride (CaCl2) 60ppm
    Sulfate (SO4) 75 ppm

So as you can see i need to add 40ppm of calcium, to meet the beers requirements, this comes from calcium chloride (CaCl2) and Gypsum (calcium sulphate CaSO4). These i measure to a hundredth of a gram using digital scales used for measuring gold.

I can also duplicate water from anywhere in the world using data from a water profile spreadsheet. I use this one here,

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

It was created by

Martin Brungard, P.E., D.WRE. Martin has over 30 years experience as a professional engineer with specialization in water and wastewater services to both industries and municipalities. He holds Bachelors and Masters degrees in Civil Engineering and a Masters degree in Environmental Engineering with specialization in water resources. Those degrees were awarded by the University of Florida. He is a licensed professional engineer in the states of Indiana, Florida, and Georgia.

http://brunsolutions.com/about/

So no i have not consulted my general practitioner about how much calcium i need to replicate a particular water profile but if i did i am sure he would be interested. 😀
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 19:57
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    As a member, in good standing, of the "mighty" Misfits club I enjoy a beer every so often, sometimes a nice dry Vodka martini, and even rarer yet, a wee dram of a good single malt scotch. I think a person's choice to indulge or not is up to the individual just as it is up to the individual to not partake. Alcohol can be addictive to some and not to o ...[text shortened]... ble (again an individual's choice of words) "vice". One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
    the "mighty" Misfits

Please sir lets not exaggerate!
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 20:11
    The proper amount of calcium is determined by a water profile not by a general practitioner. For example, I get my water source from the Carron reservoir 1000 feet above sea level, its very soft. It contains according to their most recent data,

Calcium (C) 10 ppm
    Magnesium (Mg) 1 ppm
    Sodium (Na) 5 ppm
    Bicarbonate (HCO3) 35ppm
    Sulfate (SO4) ...[text shortened]... i need to replicate a particular water profile but if i did i am sure he would be interested. 😀
    Calcium is used for treatment and prevention of low calcium levels and resulting bone conditions including osteoporosis (weak bones due to low bone density), rickets (a condition in children involving softening of the bones), and osteomalacia (a softening of bones involving pain). Calcium is also used for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), leg cramps in pregnancy, high blood pressure in pregnancy (pre-eclampsia), and reducing the risk of colon and rectal cancers.

Some people use calcium for complications after intestinal bypass surgery, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Lyme disease, to reduce high fluoride levels in children, and to reduce high lead levels.

Calcium carbonate is used as an antacid for “heartburn.” Calcium carbonate and calcium acetate are also used for reducing phosphate levels in people with kidney disease.

Calcium-rich foods include milk and dairy products, kale and broccoli, as well as the calcium-enriched citrus juices, mineral water, canned fish with bones, and soy products processed with calcium.

Calcium can interact with many prescription medications, but sometimes the effects can be minimized by taking calcium at a different time. See the section titled “Are there any interactions with medications?" (VERY IMPORTANT)

How does it work?
    The bones and teeth contain over 99% of the calcium in the human body. Calcium is also found in the blood, muscles, and other tissue. Calcium in the bones can be used as a reserve that can be released into the body as needed. The concentration of calcium in the body tends to decline as we age because it is released from the body through sweat, skin cells, and waste. In addition, as women age, absorption of calcium tends to decline due to reduced estrogen levels. Calcium absorption can vary depending on race, gender, and age.

Bones are always breaking down and rebuilding, and calcium is needed for this process. Taking extra calcium helps the bones rebuild properly and stay strong.

The above is just a little bit of information I copied and pasted. Then there is a whole other aspect of the amount of weight a person is, on how much they should have. Hopefully you will pay attention to this advice. TAKE THE TIME TO ACTUALLY READ IT.
    Kind Regards,
    As Always,
    -VR
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 20:191 edit
    Calcium is used for treatment and prevention of low calcium levels and resulting bone conditions including osteoporosis (weak bones due to low bone density), rickets (a condition in children involving softening of the bones), and osteomalacia (a softening of bones involving pain). Calcium is also used for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), leg cramps in pregnan ...[text shortened]... ay attention to this advice. TAKE THE TIME TO ACTUALLY READ IT.
    Kind Regards,
    As Always,
    -VR
    Thanks Rusty but its not entirely relevant. I am making beer not treating people with calcium deficiencies.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 20:48
    Thanks Rusty but its not entirely relevant. I am making beer not treating people with calcium deficiencies.
    I beg to differ with you sir. You are also giving it to people and it could end up being a problem with other medications they are taking by their family doctor. I know you don't mean them harm but could be doing so without realizing it my friend.

I am not arguing with you, I am trying to help you and your friends. I still have to look into what it says about the B12....I could have given you more info on the Calcium, but now that you know the dangers, I figure you will do that on your own.

Sincerely,
    VR
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 20:522 edits
    I beg to differ with you sir. You are also giving it to people and it could end up being a problem with other medications they are taking by their family doctor. I know you don't mean them harm but could be doing so without realizing it my friend.

I am not arguing with you, I am trying to help you and your friends. I still have to look into what it say ...[text shortened]... ium, but now that you know the dangers, I figure you will do that on your own.

Sincerely,
    VR
    Thank you for all your help and no I have dismissed your concerns as the words of a madman if I am honest.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 21:04
    Thank you for all your help and no I have dismissed your concerns as the words of a madman if I am honest.
    I am not sure you have an honest bone in you body. I try to help you, and you call me a madman. It seems you have a problem with the truth not matter what it is about. I suggest cutting back on your beer, it also eats brain cells. Thank you kindly.

Sincerely,
    -VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree