1. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    10 Jan '23 21:53
    Very sad to see so many clans either vanish or get to the point where they can't compete.

A big problem appears to be where the leader goes awol.

I've seen so many rudderless clans over the last few months when trying to set up clan challenges. If you belong to such a clan all you know is that you won't be playing, then understandably give it two fingers and drop out of clan competition all together. It's a shame as clan chess can be a lot of fun.

Would it be a good idea to have RHP set things up so that if a leader's subscription times out that a default replacement is set by the system?
  2. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    10 Jan '23 21:55
    Any clans struggling for games please give me a shout, I'll do whatever i can to help and keep the game/interest going.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 11:09
    @medullah said
    Very sad to see so many clans either vanish or get to the point where they can't compete.

I've seen so many rudderless clans over the last few months when trying to set up clan challenges. If you belong to such a clan all you know is that you won't be playing, then understandably give it two fingers and drop out ...[text shortened]... ngs up so that if a leader's subscription times out that a default replacement is set by the system?
    Not the only problem Pete.
    Our clan the Yorkshire Laikers doesn't play anymore because no one is willing to take on the leadership.
    I did it for at least 5 years and Zak(64 squares) did it for a similar amount of time.
    We had all sorts of features-newsletters with stats,a clan performance league but got little or no feedback from the membership.We also set up face to face meets but got little support
    We came to the conclusion that the members,with a few exceptions,weren't really interested in the clan at all but just used it as a conduit to have games without actively looking for them.
    As you know, running a clan can be very time consuming,particularly looking for fair challenges.
    Perhaps I 'll pm Zak ask him to change the profile to "no longer accepting challenges" to save other leaders wasting their time.
    Also, perhaps if a clan is no longer accepting challenges they shouldn't appear on the list.
    One for Russ
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 14:462 edits
    @medullah said

I've seen so many rudderless clans over the last few months when trying to set up clan challenges. If you belong to such a clan all you know is that you won't be playing, then understandably give it two fingers and drop out ...[text shortened]... ngs up so that if a leader's subscription times out that a default replacement is set by the system?
    Being a Clan Leader is not an easy job, and usually very little thanks.

I've been a co-captain on another site and that is pain in the butt.

I think it should be set up so there are co-Clan Leaders that can help the Clan leaders out with making challenges and checking out New Players. It isn't going to fix everything but would help the Clan Leader, if he she/he had others helping out. Of course everyone would have to be on the same page or it would cause more problems.

-VR
  5. Joined
    15 May '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 15:23
    @Very-Rusty
    I agree. Is a shame to see a clan die when the leader goes AWOL. I belonged to the Drunken Pawns, and our leader has passed away, and I belonged to the Germans and the leader left and the clan died. I am a clan leader — Chess Troopers— and could lead a second clan if this were allowed. Am sure some folks would try to manipulate this, but I am not all wrapped up wtih points and standings, but rather jusr want to have evenly matched games for our members.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 18:40
    @medullah
    Clan participation is a problem. And you have hit on a good point.
    A clan leader either disappears or has suddenly become inactive with clan games.
    I have sent PM's to some clan leaders asking if they were still interested in participating in the clan feature. Mostly no response.
    While on the one hand I should mind my own business, on the other, I take the time and the effort to create the challenges and send them out.
    Currently, I go through my challenges and delete any challenges more than 2 months old. To each their own on how they handle this.
    Perhaps site administration can assist here.

I think we have a good core of clans here, but having more clans never hurts.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 19:321 edit
    @ed-freyfogle said
    @Very-Rusty
    I agree. Is a shame to see a clan die when the leader goes AWOL. I belonged to the Drunken Pawns, and our leader has passed away, and I belonged to the Germans and the leader left and the clan died. I am a clan leader — Chess Troopers— and could lead a second clan if this were allowed. Am sure some folks would try to manipulate this, but I am not all wra ...[text shortened]... ped up wtih points and standings, but rather jusr want to have evenly matched games for our members.
    Ed,
    I am not really fussy about people playing in more than one clan, even though it does work. I really wouldn't want to see the same Clan Leader leading two different Clan, that would be a definite conflict of interest. I did give you a thumbs up for showing interest in the Clan Challenges.

-VR
  8. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 22:23
    @venda

Thanks for the feeback David, what great shame.

Yes it does take time, no denying that. It's a bit of a labour of love for me.
  9. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 22:24
    @Very-Rusty

You're absolutely right, you can't have one person running two different clans.

I run one and play for three in total, and that doiesn't seem to cause a problem.
  10. Standard memberEndLame
    👌
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '23 03:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jan '23 09:41
    As a clan leader of a now passive clan:

* If clan leaders go AWOL, another member can pcik up the reigns, by sending feedback to Russ. So this oculd in principle be clerade up.

* Clan challenges have been a problem, and the whole system is not really working well, as has been detailed by numerous people in the past. Consequence: members as well as leaders gave up.

* I will put forward the suggestion in the Site Idea froum to automatically set a clan to "doesn't accept any new challenges" after a certain time.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Jan '23 15:20
    @ponderable said

* If clan leaders go AWOL, another member can pcik up the reigns, by sending feedback to Russ. So this oculd in principle be clerade up.

* Clan challenges have been a problem, and the whole system is not really working well, as has been detailed by numerous people in the past. Consequence: members as well as leaders gave up.
    ...[text shortened]... Idea froum to automatically set a clan to "doesn't accept any new challenges" after a certain time.
    Pondy,
    * I will put forward the suggestion in the Site Idea froum to automatically set a clan to "doesn't accept any new challenges" after a certain time.

I believe I've seen clans as well as players with this up on their page already.

-VR
  13. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Jan '23 16:59
    @ponderable said

...[text shortened]... Idea froum to automatically set a clan to "doesn't accept any new challenges" after a certain time.
    Can you provide more detail and specifics to your comment about clan challenges being a problem ?
    Thanks,
  14. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    12 Jan '23 21:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    13 Jan '23 09:46
    @medullah said
    @venda

Thanks for the feeback David, what great shame.

Yes it does take time, no denying that. It's a bit of a labour of love for me.
    I used to like organising the challenges when I was leader for a while,but then it became frustrating and a chore.It became the same for Zak(we used to pm regularly concerning the clans future).
    We used to restrict membership to people with a Yorkshire connection only.However,anyone reading this from wherever who would like to join AND take on the leadership,if you pm Zak(64squaresofpain) I'm sure you would get a positive response.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree