1. Wat?
    Moves
    10 Dec '11 18:52
    Seeing as there isn't a music thread, and debates are generally politics and such like, I'm putting forward a debate about a certain guitar player - Namely John McLaughlin.

Personally, I think JM is crap. He uses a plec to strum his fingers, and has no idea about Spanish or Flamenco music. He has a few repetitive runs, and his timing is also shii>te.

He found a bit of fame in Francisco, and reemed all he could, and he did well. Doesn't mean he's good though. de Meola and de Lucia use their fingers for plucking runs, where as the white non-gypsy, with no feeling, uses a plectrum.

I say JMcLaughlin is crap. What say ye guitar players of truth?

-m. πŸ˜‰
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 00:531 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Seeing as there isn't a music thread, and debates are generally politics and such like, I'm putting forward a debate about a certain guitar player - Namely John McLaughlin.

Personally, I think JM is crap. He uses a plec to strum his fingers, and has no idea about Spanish or Flamenco music. He has a few repetitive runs, and his timing is also shii>te.

ses a plectrum.

-m. πŸ˜‰
    you dont like him because hes white and uses a plectrum instead of his fingers???
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 05:17
    I like McLaughlin. I am especially fond of the two organ trio albums in the mid-90s "Tokyo Live" and "After the Rain", both with Joey DeFrancesco but with different drummers.

But the guitarists I really like most all have a kind of exquisite inaccuracy about the way they play. They are Frank Zappa, Jerry Garcia and John Scofield. Ragged-but-right. Love it.
  4. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 22:01
    Zakk Wylde has got to be the best Chicken Pickin guitarist:

YouTube&feature=related

GRANNY.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '11 01:511 edit

ses a plectrum.

-m. πŸ˜‰
    I agree with you, fast picking does not make great music, just fast picking, like who can exercise the fastest. Do you have anything besides the two teaching vids you made for Plab? Like other you tubes or my space? I think I gave you my myspace site but never heard if you listened, liked or disliked. BTW, did you lose your instruments during the flood and has it started to recede yet? We really need the Hard DrivesπŸ™‚

Did you ever listen to Rory Block? Or Martin Simpson, or Martin Carthy or Al Petteway? Now those people can play! Of course there is my favorite classical guitarist, Julian Bream. I remember the record Julian and John, paying homage to Ida Presti and Alexander Lagoya, husband and wife infrappingcredible duo from the 1950's.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '11 13:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I agree with you, fast picking does not make great music, just fast picking, like who can exercise the fastest.
    To describe John McLaughlin's music as "just fast picking" is rather odd. Do you really think McLaughlin's music is "just fast picking" or are you simply not a fan of what nowadays amounts to old school fusion of the McLaughlin kind?
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    31 Dec '11 16:01
    The Mahavishnu Orchestra was hardly just fast picking. To call him "crap" is absurd. Then 99.99% of all players are crap.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '12 02:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    ...the guitarists I really like most all have a kind of exquisite inaccuracy about the way they play. They are Frank Zappa, Jerry Garcia and John Scofield. Ragged-but-right. Love it.
    Actually, having listened to some John McLaughlin over the last couple of weeks, I am reminded that there is a generous element of inexactitude, a dollop of seat of the pants, a wee bit of ramshackle dishevelment in there amidst all the exuberance and gnarly careering hither and thither. He does seem to have the kind of exquisite inaccuracy that appeals to me.
  9. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    01 Jan '12 09:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Actually, having listened to some John McLaughlin over the last couple of weeks, I am reminded that there is a generous element of inexactitude, a dollop of seat of the pants, a wee bit of ramshackle dishevelment in there amidst all the exuberance and gnarly careering hither and thither. He does seem to have the kind of exquisite inaccuracy that appeals to me.
    The most important thing about any performing musician is whether he touches the audience, whether he touches you emotionally, mentally or spiritually. How he does this is immaterial. To say that someone plays too fast, too slow, uses a plec, doesn't use a plec, doesn't play Flamenco, does play Flamenco etc. etc. is all very interesting but totally immaterial. I like John McLaughlin's playing because he shows his humanity. Yes, he makes mistakes, but so what? He shows us his soul. He opens himself and gives us his inner self. I like mistakes in music if the heart is there. I hate these airbrushed perfect, but totally antiseptic performances. So let's discuss whether John McLaughlin's music touches an audience. I would say by the high feeling of comments both for and against that he does. He has virtuosic technique, he has heart and he makes mistakes. He's human!
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    01 Jan '12 15:56
    Absolutely, yes. Particularly so in his earlier ventures which were packed with a spiritual source.
  11. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    01 Jan '12 17:15
    Love Devotion Surrender with Carlos Santana is flawed, but there's no denying the intense rapport these two have. I love the conversations between the two guitarists, though I have to say I am more of an Al di Meola fan.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jan '12 20:35
    Larry Lalonde of Primus is very underrated . Of course he is mainly overshadowed by Les Claypool, but it's not just his playing, it's the sounds he gets and his feel for a good part in a song that perhaps only requires him upstroking one chord for a verse or two.
    Of course he also shreds and comes up with great little riffs.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 04:08
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    The most important thing about any performing musician is whether he touches the audience, whether he touches you emotionally, mentally or spiritually. How he does this is immaterial. To say that someone plays too fast, too slow, uses a plec, doesn't use a plec, doesn't play Flamenco, does play Flamenco etc. etc. is all very interesting but totally immate ...[text shortened]... that he does. He has virtuosic technique, he has heart and he makes mistakes. He's human!
    I agree with you on mistakes, even Andre made mistakes but they were endearing. I didn't like the Mahavishnu Orchestra very much, it left me a bit cold. I have a thing for acoustic virtuosi on guitar. Like I said, anyone here listen to Al Pettaway? Rory Block? Martin Simpson?
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    08 Mar '12 01:51
    about JM- never loved his stuff in comparison with say Al Dimeola- that being said I got a couple of the flight cases from a local music store that JM's band used for a late 70s tour..

great for storing random crap. πŸ™‚
    4 bucks.
  15. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    08 Mar '12 18:47
    no one touches Emmet Ray apart of course the Gypsy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree