1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 11:24
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years..._100_Movie_Quotes#The_list

Part of the AFI 100 Years... series, AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes is a list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema. The American Film Institute revealed the list in 2005 in a three-hour television program on CBS. The program was hosted by actor Pierce Brosnan and had commentary from many Hollywood actors and filmmakers.

A jury consisting of 1,500 film artists, critics, and historians selected "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," spoken by Clark Gable in the Civil War epic Gone with the Wind as the most memorable American movie quotation of all time.

So, what we have here is a top 100 movie quotes list, made up by "experts".

Jurors were asked to consider the following criteria in making their selections:

Movie Quotation: A statement, phrase or brief exchange of dialogue spoken in an American film.Lyrics from songs are not eligible.

Cultural Impact: Movie quotations that viewers use in their own lives and situations; circulating through popular culture, they become part of the national lexicon.

Legacy: Movie quotations that viewers use to evoke the memory of a treasured film, thus ensuring and enlivening its historical legacy.

All very clear.
    And some of the quotes certainly belong in a top 100 of quotes.
    HOWEVER...

HOWEVER...

Not one quote from:
    - The big Lebowski
    - Pulp fiction
    - The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    - Full Metal Jacket
    - The Blues Brothers

And not one quote with the F-word in it? Does that mean that if a quote can't be good if it has a swear-word in it??? Utter rubbish! Hogwash!
    Where the hell can I complain about this barbarism?

Let me demonstrate:
    Quote number 9 from the list is:
    "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." from all about Eve.

Now compare this quote to:

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me" - The big Lebowski

"Check out the big brain on Brett!" - Pulp Fiction

"This sonic transducer, it is I suppose some kind of audio-vibratory-physio-molecular transport device?" - Rocky horror

"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?" Full Metal Jacket

"We've got both kinds of music here. Country AND western." - The blues brothers.

These are okay quotes from the above films and they're better than number 9.
    Just imagine the quotes which I can't quote here because of the pathetic language ban!

The AFI is full of S...
  2. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 18:05
    That list was absolutely dreadful.
  3. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 18:54
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years..._100_Movie_Quotes#The_list

[i]Part of the AFI 100 Years... series, AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes is a list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema. The American Film Institute revealed the list in 2005 in a three-hour television program on CBS. The program was hosted by actor Pierce Brosn ...[text shortened]... e here because of the pathetic language ban!

The AFI is full of S...
    Terrible, terrible...terrible.
  4. the highway to hell
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 19:37
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Terrible, terrible...terrible.
    yeah, i hate it when someone kicks off a thread with too many words
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 20:281 edit
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    That list was absolutely dreadful.
    Just because you've never seen the movie, it doesn't make the quote any less memorable.

You all should watch more Turner Classic Movies channel (TCM)....commercial free too!
  6. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 20:33
    And not one quote with the F-word in it? Does that mean that if a quote can't be good if it has a swear-word in it??? Utter rubbish! Hogwash!
    Where the hell can I complain about this barbarism?
    Personally, I think Dennis Hopper's "Love Letter" bit from Blue Velvet should have been in there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090756/quotes
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 20:41
    Originally posted by uzless
    Just because you've never seen the movie, it doesn't make the quote any less memorable.

You all should watch more Turner Classic Movies channel (TCM)....commercial free too!
    Dude, if a movie doesn't have at least one car on fire or blowing up, it's not worth my time.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 20:47
    Originally posted by eamon o
    yeah, i hate it when someone kicks off a thread with too many words
    Well, you know?
    Read some Hemingway, Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Irving... and then come back and complain about words.

Really. You sound like a complete and utter imbecile.
  9. the highway to hell
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 20:51
    Well, you know?
    Read some Hemingway, Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Irving... and then come back and complain about words.

Really. You sound like a complete and utter imbecile.
    you forgot to mention "war and peace", must try harder.
    at least you kept it short and to the point 😀
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 21:31
    Originally posted by eamon o
    you forgot to mention "war and peace"
    Lewis Black has a sketch, wherein he suggests that: "If it wasn't for my pony, I'd never had made it through college." is the dumbest comment ever made...

But I think you've just disproved his point.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    05 Jun '08 23:19
    Lewis Black has a sketch, wherein he suggests that: "If it wasn't for my pony, I'd never had made it through college." is the dumbest comment ever made...

But I think you've just disproved his point.
    You mean you didn't know War and Peace was written by 'that guy with the strange name'?
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 00:07
    Were there any quotes from Caddyshack? If not, then the list was indeed a farce.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 05:34
    Originally posted by Crowley
    You mean you didn't know War and Peace was written by 'that guy with the strange name'?
    *Insert a very large sigh*

Let me explain.

I wrote:
    Read some Hemingway, Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Irving...

He wrote:
    you forgot to mention "war and peace",

And I wrote:
    That is the dumbest comment I've ever read.

Exactly at what point do you get the impression it's me who doesn't know who wrote War and Peace?
  14. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 08:59
    Some of those quotes are very good. But some are only good in the context of the movie and the situation of the characters.

Like "Play is again, Sam" doesn't convey the emotional context of the scene in the movie.

Also - "I see dead people" does nothing. But watch the film and its damn good.

There are no quotes from Pulp Fiction which makes the list a bit unreal for me.
  15. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 09:14
    Why make a list in the first place?
    What is it about lists that guys like? 😕 😵
    Surely everyone will dissagree with any list that they didn't make themselves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree