1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 13:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i have always felt that Claptons guitar solo on the album version smacked of utter genius, a truly inspired few moments.
    Yup, a glimpse of heaven right there, my man.

That's actually the Clapton I trasure, the Cream years.
  2. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 22:59
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Yup, a glimpse of heaven right there, my man.

That's actually the Clapton I trasure, the Cream years.
    Call me a blasphemer but I think Clapton is overrated, the only band he was in that was worth a d@mn was Cream. And in my opinion that was because of Jack and Ginger(not a bad summer drink either). Eric's riffs never were quite as heavy after that (maybe cause Jack wrote most of them). I read in some Hendrix bio that when Jimi got up on stage to jam with Clapton for Jimi's English debut that Eric promptly left the stage. He should of stayed there.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 00:31
    anyone like electric blues?

Actually, electric blues comes way down the list of things I like. Too little improvisation. Too little rhythmic complexity. Nondescript lyrics for the most part (with exceptions, naturally). Too homogeneous (relatively speaking). Just my personal take, of course. Other traditional, rootsy musics trump electric blues for me. Other kinds of folk music are capable of doing the "sadness" and "sex" things that electric blues do, but in more diverse and emotionally complex ways. Don't get me wrong, I've got stacks of blues records and I do listen to them from time to time. I've even got my tidy little collection of 70 Hendrix boots too. But out of all the stuff I've got from every genre you can think of, electric blues does not make it into the desert island grab bag. Let mine be a dissenting voice. That's all.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:21
    Originally posted by StTito
    Call me a blasphemer but I think Clapton is overrated, the only band he was in that was worth a d@mn was Cream. And in my opinion that was because of Jack and Ginger(not a bad summer drink either). Eric's riffs never were quite as heavy after that (maybe cause Jack wrote most of them). I read in some Hendrix bio that when Jimi got up on stage to jam with Clapton for Jimi's English debut that Eric promptly left the stage. He should of stayed there.
    In all fairness he has recorded perhaps less heralded but nonetheless noteworhy blues albums lately.

Ridibg with the King - with BB King
    Me and Mr Johnson
    From the Cradle
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:34
    I am a Clapton fan as much as it's related to his performance in Cream.

After that, he has decent material but I just don't think he's the 'guitar god' some seem to see in him.

BTW, he did some intersting stuff with sitar players years ago, but can't seem to recall well the event.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 00:19
    Originally posted by badmoon
    In all fairness he has recorded perhaps less heralded but nonetheless noteworhy blues albums lately. [...] From the Cradle
    Absolutely brilliant. I've left a copy of that in numerous bars half way across the world.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 14:263 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]anyone like electric blues?

Actually, electric blues comes way down the list of things I like. Too little improvisation. Too little rhythmic complexity. Nondescript lyrics for the most part (with exceptions, naturally). Too homogeneous (relatively speaking). Just my personal take, of course. Other traditional, rootsy musics trump electric blues for me. ot make it into the desert island grab bag. Let mine be a dissenting voice. That's all.[/b]
    If its art that you desire my illustrious and learned friend, then one should checkout Michael Bloomfield, but his solo albums, in which this genre, in my amazing opinion reached its zenith, for he was not only a soulful bluesman, but a musician as well, something which many are lacking. i love the bawdry, peeping and a moaning blues, and his version of Frankie and Johnny, true classics in every sense of the word.

But i do hear what you are saying, for many it is clichéd, licks stolen from Albert King and rehashed, one does need to ask, where is the innovation, the diversity? then one should take a hot bath, drag your speakers into the bathroom, dig out electric lady land and play 1983, a Merman i should be, and be amazed as you subconsciously descend the depths of your bathtub, through the layers of imaginary coral, to the underwater kingdom of the Merman, where, with banners full of cheer, we may grasp at the art of style!

YouTube
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 14:27
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I am a Clapton fan as much as it's related to his performance in Cream.

After that, he has decent material but I just don't think he's the 'guitar god' some seem to see in him.

BTW, he did some intersting stuff with sitar players years ago, but can't seem to recall well the event.
    probably his greatest post Cream playing, was on the Roger Waters solo album, the Pros and Cons of hitch-hiking, legendary stuff!
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 15:25
    Watch Jeff Beck with his latest 2008-9 combo - him, FZ's Vinnie Colaiuta, top notch jazzbo keyboardist, plus 18 yr old female bassist from Aussie - mp3'd shows and videos readily available on the net - Better Than Eric, by far.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 16:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    Watch Jeff Beck with his latest 2008-9 combo - him, FZ's Vinnie Colaiuta, top notch jazzbo keyboardist, plus 18 yr old female bassist from Aussie - mp3'd shows and videos readily available on the net - Better Than Eric, by far.
    could this be his Combo here?

YouTube&feature=fvw
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 17:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    could this be his Combo here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6T6AQ5yXqc&feature=fvw
    Get a whole show. Takes an hour to download. Sorry, I don't go to any links people post on threads.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 19:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    Get a whole show. Takes an hour to download. Sorry, I don't go to any links people post on threads.
    sure, can you provide a link to some site?
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 19:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have the DVD Live at Ronnie Scotts. fantastic, and he plays without a pick.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 02:35
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I have the DVD Live at Ronnie Scotts. fantastic, and he plays without a pick.
    Yes. That's the one I saw.
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 13:27
    yer blues,

with John Lennon on vocals and guitar, Eric Clapton on lead guitar, Keith Richards on bass, and Mitch Mitchell on drums.

YouTube

awesome.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree