1. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 01:381 edit
    Who doesn't like electric blues?! Weird question.

Incidentally, I have one posted on my myspace I call 'Blues for Texas' for anyone who's interested.

http://www.myspace.com/shilohleerock
  2. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 16:01
    Robin Trower! Still making great blues.

Altho, I'll have to point out, some of the finest blues I've ever heard was standing in the backyard of a shotgun house in south Alabama listening to a guy we had just handed a bottle of bourbon play an old acoustic and sing. (Wish I still had that recording!) The most telling moment was when, in the intro to a piece, his hand slipped off the strings and slapped the body - every time he repeated that phrase from that point on he did the same. The roots of the blues are in the call-and-response forms of primitive music - that's why it is so deep - it stretches back to the first fire circles and reminds us of our carnality.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 23:481 edit
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Robin Trower! Still making great blues.

Altho, I'll have to point out, some of the finest blues I've ever heard was standing in the backyard of a shotgun house in south Alabama listening to a guy we had just handed a bottle of bourbon play an old acoustic and sing. (Wish I still had that recording!) The most telling moment was when, in the intro to a it is so deep - it stretches back to the first fire circles and reminds us of our carnality.
    Very true. Primal music reminds us of the blues or vice versa. There's some really talented street bluesists in NYC.
    Electric blues is also great!
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 00:00
    Originally posted by shiloh
    Who doesn't like electric blues?! Weird question.

Incidentally, I have one posted on my myspace I call 'Blues for Texas' for anyone who's interested.

http://www.myspace.com/shilohleerock
    Listened to your myspace post. Pretty darned good! Congrats. I used to play in a band and we'd do blues when jamming between sets with firedns who wanted to keep the music going in a different genre since we were a Beatles tribute band.
  5. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 02:33
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Listened to your myspace post. Pretty darned good! Congrats. I used to play in a band and we'd do blues when jamming between sets with firedns who wanted to keep the music going in a different genre since we were a Beatles tribute band.
    Why, thanks! Keep rockin'!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 03:18
    Why, thanks! Keep rockin'!
    No longer play much, but one time I went over to a friend's and he had a whole mini studio so we jammed for a while. It was fun. My favorite jamming was with a group of friends who were classically trained and preferred jazzy rock of an eclectic style. We would ad lib for hours. I now am more into classical, but only listening since I do not read music. I wish I did.
  7. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 03:38
    years ago i taped some electric blues off the radio, Johnny Winter. it was incredible stuff, some of the best guitar playing i have heard. but every time i've tried to track it down ,listening to various JW discs, i don't hear anything nearly as good. lost the tape somewhere down the track too, so now it's just a distant memory.
  8. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 03:39
    I used to do mostly rock and heavy blues. Lately, I'm moving more into instrumental stuff and guitar compositions. Just as soon as I have a chance to sit down and do some recording.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 15:19
    I used to do mostly rock and heavy blues. Lately, I'm moving more into instrumental stuff and guitar compositions. Just as soon as I have a chance to sit down and do some recording.
    A good friend of mine grew up with Stevie Ray Vaughn and played in his garage band. Of course SRV outgrew the band and went on to bigger and better things. My friend, who kept this quiet, one day surprised me with his playing ability and great ear for music. Texas has produced great musicians.
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 17:02
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    years ago i taped some electric blues off the radio, Johnny Winter. it was incredible stuff, some of the best guitar playing i have heard. but every time i've tried to track it down ,listening to various JW discs, i don't hear anything nearly as good. lost the tape somewhere down the track too, so now it's just a distant memory.
    You might have it but "The Progressive Blues Experiment" is lights out fantastic.

I saw that he has released a Woodstock concert although I haven't seen or heard it yet.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 17:19
    Originally posted by badmoon
    You might have it but "The Progressive Blues Experiment" is lights out fantastic.

I saw that he has released a Woodstock concert although I haven't seen or heard it yet.
    Don't have it. Thx for the heads up. I'll make sure to look it up!
  12. Joined
    19 Jul '09
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 08:05
    Having seen the late Tim Hardin live it was an awsome intro to electric blues
  13. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 15:01
    Originally posted by badmoon

thanks, i'll see if i can find it...
  14. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 15:111 edit
    link here to JW jamming with Hendrix, 1968...

http://tlog.halvorsen.org/?p=61

...and more (same link). check out JW playing Red House 1991.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree