1. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    12 May '19 10:10
    @suzianne said
    More than a little disappointed in how little they utilized Captain Marvel, but I get it, this was kind of a swan song for the original Avengers, all of whom lost so much on the journey. Captain Marvel is the future going forward.

Stay tuned for Spiderman: Far From Home, which will mark the actual end of MCU Phase 3. A few things need to be explained before they close out this phase.
    I'm also a fan of Captain Marvel. Both in the movie and in Endgame. I like the details in Brie's version, e.g. the non-normal way to walk or her reduced facial expressions and I like her confidence. I also like that she wasn't the one to finish Thanos. It wasn't her story line.

The ending of Phase 3 is coming to an end and Captain Marvel is one of the future Phase 4 characters. One of my favorite things about Endgame is how well they actually ended it. I mean, we see a lot of world building in movies and series but often they run out of ideas, forget their own in-universe rules or simply forget what they've shown before. I mean small inconsistencies are okay, but e.g. Game of Thrones have completely lost everything in season 8. The Russo Brothers have done of the hardest things: Created an ending to a hugely expected movie series and done it satisfying.

I'm looking forward to see how they will do Phase 4. Another 10 years of independent movies and a huge finish?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '19 14:13
    @lundos said
    I'm also a fan of Captain Marvel. Both in the movie and in Endgame. I like the details in Brie's version, e.g. the non-normal way to walk or her reduced facial expressions and I like her confidence. I also like that she wasn't the one to finish Thanos. It wasn't her story line.

The ending of Phase 3 is coming to an end and Captain Marvel is one of the future Phase 4 charac ...[text shortened]... g forward to see how they will do Phase 4. Another 10 years of independent movies and a huge finish?
    New characters and character redux.

In April, Kevin Feige stated that Phase 4 would run 5 years, from 2020 to 2024.

These titles should be among the first Phase 4 offerings:
    Black Widow
    The Eternals
    Doctor Strange 2
    Black Panther 2
    Shang-Chi
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '19 14:18
    @mchill said
    I just saw Avengers Endgame for the first time, having never been a fan of comic books, I didn't understand parts of the story. An interesting mix of quantum physics, dazzling futuristic special effects, and post world war 2 nostalgia made for a good movie though.
    Well, let's talk about those bits you didn't understand. Give us a few.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 May '19 15:03
    @suzianne said
    Well, let's talk about those bits you didn't understand. Give us a few.
    Give us a few? Well, here are some for starters:

How did Thor, Captain America, the Hulk etc. come into being? Were they born? How old are they? Do their costumes give them special powers, or did they always have them? Who was that oversized ugly villain, with the 2 cyborg looking daughters? Did they have a mother, or were they manufactured? Who was the talking raccoon, and why was he along for this ride (other than to provide some comic relief)

As I said, it was a good movie, but not being a comic book reader, I don't have much background knowledge. Kind of like a movie goer who watches Searching for Bobby Fischer, but knows nothing about chess.
  5. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    12 May '19 19:33
    @mchill said
    Give us a few? Well, here are some for starters:

How did Thor, Captain America, the Hulk etc. come into being? Were they born? How old are they? Do their costumes give them special powers, or did they always have them? Who was that oversized ugly villain, with the 2 cyborg looking daughters? Did they have a mother, or were they manufactured? Who was the talking raccoon, and ...[text shortened]... e. Kind of like a movie goer who watches Searching for Bobby Fischer, but knows nothing about chess.
    Thor
    Thor in the movies are the living embodiment of the Norse god Thor living on another planet called Asgard. He is the God of Thunder and the son of Odin.

Captain America
    Cap gained his powers in an experiment during WW2. However, his best side is his will and moral codex, which is all human and why he was chosen for that experiment.

Hulk
    Hulk is an experiment gone wrong, which split the human host body in two personalities - the human scientist and the green monster. In Endgame they've learned to live together in the same body.

The oversized ugly villain is Thanos. He's originally from a planet called Titan, which suffered from overpopulation/lack of resources, which made him concoct a plan to kill half the Universe (all planets) to make the survivors live better lives.

The two cyborg daughters are Thanos' adopted daughters (adopted from planets Thanos had conquered and exterminated half of the population). They used to fight and the loser lost a part of her. That's why one of them is a cyborg. They both were born, but their mothers are probably dead.

The raccoon is a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. We don't know (in the MCU) exactly who created him, but there are hints in other movies.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 May '19 07:14
    @lundos said

The raccoon is a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. We don't know (in the MCU) exactly who created him, but there are hints in other movies.
    Little bit of a bio of Rocket. (The 'raccoon'.)

https://www.marvel.com/characters/rocket/on-screen
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 May '19 10:59
    @lundos said
    Thor
    Thor in the movies are the living embodiment of the Norse god Thor living on another planet called Asgard. He is the God of Thunder and the son of Odin.

Captain America
    Cap gained his powers in an experiment during WW2. However, his best side is his will and moral codex, which is all human and why he was chosen for that experiment.

Hulk
    Hulk ...[text shortened]... the Galaxy. We don't know (in the MCU) exactly who created him, but there are hints in other movies.
    Thank You for the background info. As I said, this was a pretty good movie.
  8. The World
    Moves
    17 May '19 22:48
    @lundos said
    So, the final installment of the Phase 3 in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is out. After the tour de force that was Infinity War, this is a completely different take on a super hero movie.

I've watched it twice. Once on Wednesday and again today and I have to admit that it's amazing. Straight up. If you know the other movies there are so many Easter Eggs, references and eve ...[text shortened]... econd time, so I guess it's not too important. And there's a plot issue I really, really don't like.
    Now it has been out a while, what was the plot point you really didn't like?

I loved the film, have watched them all except Captain Marvel (I've a 3 year old, so cinema visits are a rarity), I've pre ordered it on bluray, and have just started the series with my eldest, who is just old enough to watch them, so yep, I'm a nerd fan.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '19 10:51
    @paul-a-roberts said

I loved the film, have watched them all except Captain Marvel (I've a 3 year old, so cinema visits are a rarity), I've pre ordered it on bluray, and have just started the series with my eldest, who is just old enough to watch them, so yep, I'm a nerd fan.
    I'd like to hear what he wasn't so keen on, too.

I'm assuming that in answering the question, though, he might have to release some spoilers.

Let's get that right out there in advance, then. I understand people were actually beat up at some theaters for giving out spoilers to the movie.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 May '19 12:361 edit
    Anything that was designed to have specific racial and slash or sexist aspects to it has an undertone of propaganda and intentional manipulation. Really it has lost all credibility as entertainment. It is simply a movie intended to manipulate public opinion.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '19 12:50
    @eladar said
    Anything that was designed to have specific racial and slash or sexist aspects to it has an undertone of propaganda and intentional manipulation. Really it has lost all credibility as entertainment. It is simply a movie intended to manipulate public opinion.
    Come on, man, it's a series of comic books.

Get a grip.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 May '19 13:001 edit
    @Suzianne

If they were simply telling stories that naturally came to mind, that would be fine. If they did things intentionally then it is propaganda and intended to manipulate the masses.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '19 20:57
    @lundos said
    Thor

Captain America

Hulk
    Hulk ...[text shortened]... the Galaxy. We don't know (in the MCU) exactly who created him, but there are hints in other movies.
    I was a huge Marvel fan growing up collected the comics, had two complete sets of X-Men, all but two of the Spiderman comics, and several other near complete sets of Marvel comics. I gave them to my brother who said he loved them, he sold all of the entire collections for 20 dollars. He is sorry he sold the collection for so little, I'm sorry I gave them to him. 🙂
  14. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    20 May '19 11:241 edit
    @paul-a-roberts said

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

Time travel generally sucks (though Travelers handled it quite well). It creates more trouble than necessary and opens up for a lot of possibilities showrunners rarely think about. As soon as it's been invented, it can be copied, and it's hard to keep it consistent (and logical).
    In extension Cap's ending. I agree with the link below, though, for me it absolutely didn't ruin the movie. It's just a minor flaw and not important to the overall enjoyment.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/avengers-endgame-captain-americas-ending-totally-r/1100-6466487/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree