1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 00:46
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/uk_enl_1255854890/html/1.stm

looks almost like a fantasy landscape πŸ™‚
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 03:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

Excellent! One of the must see before you die places on earth! Thanks for posting this!
  3. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 07:10

Spectacular view, Robbie

Thank you for sharing πŸ™‚
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 08:161 edit
    It should be pointed out that it doesn't actually look quite like that, it's a panaoramic photo which has been edited in photoshop. You can tell because of the tilt angle of the clouds and the way the lake in the far right doesn't look quite right against the sea. I'd like to see a higher res image, but I'd hazard a guess that the near right rock is actually cut from a separately focused picture.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 12:24
    Originally posted by Starrman
    It should be pointed out that it doesn't actually look quite like that, it's a panaoramic photo which has been edited in photoshop. You can tell because of the tilt angle of the clouds and the way the lake in the far right doesn't look quite right against the sea. I'd like to see a higher res image, but I'd hazard a guess that the near right rock is actually cut from a separately focused picture.
    its a loch my friend, as in the Arabic guttural sounding 'ch', from the back of the throat, not a lake, and the rocks do exist in this form, they are in fact one of the features , if you dont believe me, then dig this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File😲M_Storr_2004.jpg

i do not deny that there has been some artistic license applied, but the landscape essentially exists as you see it, i have been there myself on several occasions hill walking. Come to Skye and see, the road bridge is now free and they got the most amazing cream cakes imaginable πŸ™‚
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 20:37
    its a loch my friend, as in the Arabic guttural sounding 'ch', from the back of the throat, not a lake, and the rocks do exist in this form, they are in fact one of the features , if you dont believe me, then dig this,

i do not deny that there has been some artistic license applied, but the l ...[text shortened]... e and see, the road bridge is now free and they got the most amazing cream cakes imaginable πŸ™‚
    Don't pay attention to starrman. Anyone who enjoys otherworldy landscapes should go. Some day I will because this sort of place is my kind of place. A real must see! You're lucky to be so close!
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 20:51

i do not deny that there has been some artistic license applied, but the l ...[text shortened]... e and see, the road bridge is now free and they got the most amazing cream cakes imaginable πŸ™‚
    I'm not suggesting it's a collage, I'm just pointing out the impact of that picture is due in part to digital manipulation. I agree the landscape is amazing.

Lake, loch, lac, lago etc. etc. etc. It doesn't matter.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 21:50
    i prefer 'aberdeen harbour' tbh. they were all in the sunday times.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 21:561 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    i prefer 'aberdeen harbour' tbh. they were all in the sunday times.
    you read The times Trev, how civilised πŸ˜‰
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 22:00
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Don't pay attention to starrman. Anyone who enjoys otherworldy landscapes should go. Some day I will because this sort of place is my kind of place. A real must see! You're lucky to be so close!
    on the three or four occasions i have been to Skye to climb the mountains, i literally had to leave them because i could not see more than a few meters in front of me, no good when there is several thousand feet either side! Its not called Eilean a' Cheó, the Island of mist for nuthin! but if you come my friend, you would be made to feel most welcome i am sure πŸ™‚
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 22:52
    on the three or four occasions i have been to Skye to climb the mountains, i literally had to leave them because i could not see more than a few meters in front of me, no good when there is several thousand feet either side! Its not called Eilean a' Cheó, the Island of mist for nuthin! but if you come my friend, you would be made to feel most welcome i am sure πŸ™‚
    You don't truly believe I would feel unwelcome in Europe, do you? What I've said about Europeans is just banter. I used to work with a bunch of Brits. Fine people indeed. I also happen to love Italy deeply.
    Since you seem to enjoy stark landscapes you should visit Utah whenever you're stateside. The road between Escalante and Boulder, Utah is indeed impressive and otherworldly. So is Capitol Reef Nat Park, Zion Nat Park and Bryce Canyon.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 00:46
    You don't truly believe I would feel unwelcome in Europe, do you? What I've said about Europeans is just banter. I used to work with a bunch of Brits. Fine people indeed. I also happen to love Italy deeply.
    Since you seem to enjoy stark landscapes you should visit Utah whenever you're stateside. The road between Escalante and Boulder, Utah is indeed impressive and otherworldly. So is Capitol Reef Nat Park, Zion Nat Park and Bryce Canyon.
    Americans are way more hospitable than Europeans! actually i love those landscapes that you mention, in fact i tried to create a Utah type landscape in my large aquarium, from sandstone πŸ™‚
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 11:40
    Americans are way more hospitable than Europeans! actually i love those landscapes that you mention, in fact i tried to create a Utah type landscape in my large aquarium, from sandstone πŸ™‚
    One time a friend and I were on this road I mentioned. We veered off onto a dirt road to a place called the Devil's Backbone. Nothing terribly spectacular until we came to a small wooden bridge spanning the chasm between two mountains. The ravine was 500-700 ft deep. A dire warning with a skull and crossbones cautioned to not exceed a certain weight. We stopped to fish out the owner's manual in the rental to make sure we weren't over. Once back on the road we stopped to take a hike to Lower Calf Falls. Halfway there I sensed we were being watched. Indeed we were. Trout were following our every move and keeping pace with us. Quite intelligent and playful!
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 12:27
    outside the uk and ireland it's possible in some ways that you'd feel unwelcome my certain people but on the whole probably not.

europeans (especially central) are cold, something i find it hard to get used to.

very different cultures to america.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 22:57
    Originally posted by trev33
    outside the uk and ireland it's possible in some ways that you'd feel unwelcome my certain people but on the whole probably not.

europeans (especially central) are cold, something i find it hard to get used to.

very different cultures to america.
    Where I have been in Europe I have been made to feel most welcome indeed. I visited Canada for the first time this summer and they were ultra nice. I have dealt with European visitors and treated them kindly. The only place I find people gruff and on the intractable side is NYC. Bostonians are great and Chicagoans marvellously friendly. Californians are smug and snooty. Greeks are rather cold and aloof. Brits outside the UK are fine so I assume they would be nice in their own home. I root for England in world cups, but my heart is Italy's! Once Italy is out then Spain and finally England! Scotland has been to too few to get my juices up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree