1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '09 04:35
    I danced at an international festival today. Lots of people from around the globe or those generations-old here just present to celebrate their heritage. Quite lovely to see us all getting along, admiring our costumes, customs, culture. I talked to a dude from Scotland. he infomred me there's an Isle of Skye kilt. Cannot find an example online. He was wearing the Barclay kilt. I love kilts. Decent bagpiper this dude. Lovely to hear the mixing sounds of bagpipes, opera, folk music from around the globe, gorgeous women of all cutlures! I had an excellent time!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Oct '09 10:56
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I danced at an international festival today. Lots of people from around the globe or those generations-old here just present to celebrate their heritage. Quite lovely to see us all getting along, admiring our costumes, customs, culture. I talked to a dude from Scotland. he infomred me there's an Isle of Skye kilt. Cannot find an example online. He was w ...[text shortened]... era, folk music from around the globe, gorgeous women of all cutlures! I had an excellent time!
    Lol, my friend, there are kilts and there are kilts! mostly what ones sees are little more than tartan skirts, those worn at weddings and was invented by some Victorian dude in the 1800s. the real thing is termed a 'plaid', and is a single piece of cloth approximately twenty feet in length, folded in a certain manner and thrown over the shoulder, sometimes fastened with a brooch. i ancient times, it was excellent apparel for sleeping out of doors, as when watching cattle, for it could be unravelled and thrown over the head, to keep frost away. the sporran, is a purse like object which was originally used to keep oatmeal which could be boiled to provide sustenance. Also when one hires a kilt, it comes with a small dagger, called a skien dhu, which is tucked into the top of the socks. in places of worship, persons may leave them outside, lest the sanctity of a 'holy place', is compromised. Kilt is usually worn with black broags (stout shoes). On the top of the socks there are little indicators, little flags which indicate whether one is married (two tags), or single (one tag). i have never heard of an Isle of Skye kilt, because they are usually associated with a family name, as in Stewart tartan, or MacGregor tartan etc etc. you sound as though you had an awesome time! 🙂
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '09 13:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, my friend, there are kilts and there are kilts! mostly what ones sees are little more than tartan skirts, those worn at weddings and was invented by some Victorian dude in the 1800s. the real thing is termed a 'plaid', and is a single piece of cloth approximately twenty feet in length, folded in a certain manner and thrown over the shoulder, s ...[text shortened]... tewart tartan, or MacGregor tartan etc etc. you sound as though you had an awesome time! 🙂
    Indeed had an awesome time! Myself and family dance for an Italian folk dance group. I was going to raise the point ot tartans being associated with family names, not places but had to run and perform. I looked for him later and could not find him ( I did not look too hard as I was enthralled with a gorgeus opera chic singing one of my favorite arias). Scotland has great traditions. We have a local group that blends celtic music with R&R and is quite interesting. There were lots of chics wearing kilts. I argued with one this was not permissible unless you did the old Scottish moon bend like in Braveheart. She was about to oblige when my wife , who stealthily had snuck up behind me, boxed my ears and told me to tarantella the hell away from the lassies!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Oct '09 22:491 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Indeed had an awesome time! Myself and family dance for an Italian folk dance group. I was going to raise the point ot tartans being associated with family names, not places but had to run and perform. I looked for him later and could not find him ( I did not look too hard as I was enthralled with a gorgeus opera chic singing one of my favorite arias). ...[text shortened]... had snuck up behind me, boxed my ears and told me to tarantella the hell away from the lassies!
    Lol, if its one thing you should learn from the poems of Robert Burns my friend, is that you should be careful drinking whiskey and chasing girls in short skirts, for your manhood may just end up like, 'tam o'shanters', horses tail, which was lopped off as he tried to escape across the bridge! Italian folk dance, wow that does sound interesting. any links or pics? i heard from friends that Italy is still run by men 😉
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 01:12
    Lol, if its one thing you should learn from the poems of Robert Burns my friend, is that you should be careful drinking whiskey and chasing girls in short skirts, for your manhood may just end up like, 'tam o'shanters', horses tail, which was lopped off as he tried to escape across the bridge! Italian folk dance, wow that does sound interesting. any links or pics? i heard from friends that Italy is still run by men 😉
    No links, although perhaps the italianclubofdallas.org
    Since you mention it, I never have looked to see if the website posts pics. I'll get a younger, more tech saavy club member to see if they can't make me a video or jpeg file. It is a lot of fun to folk dance. My favorite is the sword dance of Ischia, although we use symbolic swords or we would not have thumbs or ears.
  6. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 11:18
    Originally posted by Starrman
    It should be pointed out that it doesn't actually look quite like that, it's a panaoramic photo which has been edited in photoshop. You can tell because of the tilt angle of the clouds and the way the lake in the far right doesn't look quite right against the sea. I'd like to see a higher res image, but I'd hazard a guess that the near right rock is actually cut from a separately focused picture.
    you seem very confident in your assessment of this. given that this won a high profile competition, that would be a pretty serious allegation. you're basing your assessment on a low res image whereas the judges (and Photoshop-cheat screeners, presuming they have such a role) would be working from a high res image and they saw fit to let it pass.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 12:06
    http://www.italian-american.com/ifafa/dallas_colori.htm

There some pics, but no video as of yet. I'll check to see how that can be rectified!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree