1. Pepperland
    Moves
    07 Jul '09 17:292 edits
    looking back, I noticed how the albums from the early 70s were the best (all things must pass, band on the run, imagine, etc), even though there were some good ones in the 80s (cloud nine).

All things must pass is one of my favorites, however, the side 5 and 6 are rubbish, the "apple jam" should have been excluded.
    Another disadvantage of the album is that it could come across as too religious, (after hearing my sweet lord, hear me lord, etc).
    Nevertheless, it is a gem, isn't it a pity and wah-wah are a few of the great tracks from the album.
    Other harrison albums have the same problem, they're usually too religious.

the albums by lennon all have some good tracks (working class hero, Imagine, well well well, 9 dream etc), but all contain some rubbish as well, especially some time in new york city.

The albums by mccartney are alright (band on the run, mccartney, ram) but the silly pop songs really give them a bad name (silly love songs is one of the worst songs ever written).

Ringo's ringo is his best, the rest is just boring.

but whats the best beatle solo album?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Jul '09 17:44
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    looking back, I noticed how the albums from the early 70s were the best (all things must pass, band on the run, imagine, etc), even though there were some good ones in the 80s (cloud nine).

All things must pass is one of my favorites, however, the side 5 and 6 are rubbish, the "apple jam" should have been excluded.
    Another disadvantage of the a ...[text shortened]... o's ringo is his best, the rest are just boring.

For individual album, I'd go with All Things Must Pass. And I like the whole thing.

For their post-Beatle career as a whole, I'd definitely go with John Lennon.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 02:43

Another disadvantage of the a ...[text shortened]... go's ringo is his best, the rest is just boring.

None of their solo albums is worth the vinyl these were pressed on to. After Revolver and Sgt. Pepper there was nowhere to go but down. It's too bad, but as solo artists they were a big dud. Lennon's excrecences with fake artist Yoko are still used by ATF, FBI. That's why the Branch Davidians set themselves on fire. They were going to use the same tactics at Gitmo then the waterboarding was leaked to the press so they thought they might rile up Geneva Convention devotees. Not a single song is memorable from their solo efforts.
  4. Pepperland
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 15:32
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    None of their solo albums is worth the vinyl these were pressed on to. After Revolver and Sgt. Pepper there was nowhere to go but down. It's too bad, but as solo artists they were a big dud. Lennon's excrecences with fake artist Yoko are still used by ATF, FBI. That's why the Branch Davidians set themselves on fire. They were going to use the same tacti ...[text shortened]... t rile up Geneva Convention devotees. Not a single song is memorable from their solo efforts.
    None of their solo albums is worth the vinyl these were pressed on to. After Revolver and Sgt. Pepper there was nowhere to go but down.

the white album, abbey road? They were just as good.

Not a single song is memorable from their solo efforts.

are you serious?

what about Imagine? band on the run? or other big hits of the time like give me love (give me peace on earth)?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 15:42
    The bitty White Album leaves me cold. Abbey Road is brilliant. As for their solo stuff, I am not interested by it, although I acknowledge that some of it was clearly successful and popular.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 16:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    The bitty White Album leaves me cold. Abbey Road is brilliant. As for their solo stuff, I am not interested by it, although I acknowledge that some of it was clearly successful and popular.
    thanks for your balanced point of view.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 16:55
    thanks for your balanced point of view.
    Having said that, though, I do think "All Things Must Pass" demonstrated that The Beatles could have been even better than they actually were.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 18:30
    [b]None of their solo albums is worth the vinyl these were pressed on to. After Revolver and Sgt. Pepper there was nowhere to go but down.

Not a single song is memorable from their solo efforts.

are you serious?

what about Imagine? band on the run? or other big hits of the time like give me love (give me peace on earth)?[/b]
    I stand by my statement. They reached their pinnacle with Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. Abbey Road is not brilliant as an album. It's merely a collection of what they wish they had saved for their solo efforts. I am a huge Beatles fan and used to play in a Beatles tribute band. Sgt Pepper is one of the greatest albums of all time by any band. The subsequent stuff is completely forgettable despite its popularity. Imagine is one of the worst pieces of tripe by a songwriter who gave the world brilliancies like Norwegian Wood. Abbey Road has one memorable song: "Come Together". The rest of the album is merely pleasant or downright stupid like "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Maxwell's Hammer". I believe they simply wanted to prove any trash they would put out would sell. I'm sure George Martin hated the stuff. McCartney simply concentrated on crass commercial garbage; "Oscar" proves it. How about Vanilla Sky? Yikes! And then there's the horrific "Liverpool Oratorio". Someone should have dissuaded McCartney from such an endeavor. I vote for this latter work as the worst solo effort by a formerly briliant songwriter. The Beatles should have never disbanded.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 18:59
    I stand by my statement. They reached their pinnacle with Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. Abbey Road is not brilliant as an album. It's merely a collection of what they wish they had saved for their solo efforts. I am a huge Beatles fan and used to play in a Beatles tribute band. Sgt Pepper is one of the greatest albums of all time by any band. The subsequent ...[text shortened]... effort by a formerly briliant songwriter. The Beatles should have never disbanded.
    The dream is over. You'd think nearly 40 years after the fact you'd accept it by now.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 20:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The dream is over. You'd think nearly 40 years after the fact you'd accept it by now.
    Whose dream? Theirs or ours? They are long gone, half dead and fizzled out! I dream of no one, especially not individual Beatles nor collective Beatles. I never listen to them anymore. Rock and roll is half dead. Taken over by mediocre bands. What we get now is crass lyrics, bad music and on stage pontification by people who can hardly write a melody, tune their instruments, let alone carry a tune and talk about politics.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 21:18
    Whose dream? Theirs or ours? They are long gone, half dead and fizzled out! I dream of no one, especially not individual Beatles nor collective Beatles. I never listen to them anymore. Rock and roll is half dead. Taken over by mediocre bands. What we get now is crass lyrics, bad music and on stage pontification by people who can hardly write a melody, tune their instruments, let alone carry a tune and talk about politics.
    That was a reference to a John Lennon song. But I guess you wouldn't know that since you apparently don't listen to John Lennon much.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 22:20
    That was a reference to a John Lennon song. But I guess you wouldn't know that since you apparently don't listen to John Lennon much.
    I stopped listening to Lennon after he started recording garbage with Yoko Ono. Don't get me wrong. I obvioulsy admired the Beatles enough to play their songs. Leonard Bernstein's analysis of their music is excellent, deep and on the money. I guess it's impossible to maintain that level of songwriting forever. I admired the man enough to make a mini pilgrimage to Strawberry Fields in Central Park and offer a prayer. My heart skipped a beat when I happened, by accident, upon the actual spot where he was shot across from the park outside his apartment building. Lennon was a genius who had stopped caring, however. I will admit he never reached the horrible lows of Vanilla Sky!
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 00:21
    I stand by my statement. They reached their pinnacle with Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. Abbey Road is not brilliant as an album. It's merely a collection of what they wish they had saved for their solo efforts. I am a huge Beatles fan and used to play in a Beatles tribute band. Sgt Pepper is one of the greatest albums of all time by any band. The subsequent ...[text shortened]... effort by a formerly briliant songwriter. The Beatles should have never disbanded.
    you dont find "here comes the sun" memorable?
    "something" is another.frank Sinatra said that was the greatest love song ever made in his opinion.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 00:431 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    you dont find "here comes the sun" memorable?
    "something" is another.frank Sinatra said that was the greatest love song ever made in his opinion.
    These are two extremely pleasant, melodious, yet forgetable songs, Sinatra not withstanding. There was a reason Harrison was always third fiddle. The two are nicely crafted, common songs, but nothing more. Memorable? I guess not, since until you mentioned them their not tops in my Beatles memory bank. When I played in the band these two were not frequent requests.

Sinatra needed to expand his music horizons if he thought that was the "greatest" love song ever written. Apples and oranges. Greatest without stating which are the next nine leaves me quizzical.
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 00:46
    For individual album, I'd go with [b]All Things Must Pass. And I like the whole thing.

For their post-Beatle career as a whole, I'd definitely go with John Lennon.[/b]
    I agree with All Things Must Pass. The songs are fantasic. My only beef is that he let anyone who showed up to play on the recordings. You'd have multiple bass, drums and guitars at one time...made it kind of a muddled sound.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree