-Joe Satriani
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '11 21:33
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Satch Boogie

-Joe Satriani
    Both really good songs. Comfortably Numb is way better than either. BTW, Satriani is in town. Still selling out. Could only fenagle one ticket so I let my son have it!
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jan '11 22:22
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Jimi Hendrix

Voodoo Child
    Can't argue with that, really, except that a case can be made for Watchtower.

Richard
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 02:551 edit
    My vote goes to Layla, written by Eric Clapton and Jim Gordon but with that great duo with Duane Allman. It seemed to me Duane was outplaying Eric on this piece. Here is a short blurb by Rolling stone mag:

In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Allman at #2 in their list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time, second only to Jimi Hendrix.[2] His tone (achieved with a Gibson Les Paul and two 50-watt bass Marshall amplifiers) was named one of the greatest guitar tones of all time by Guitar Player.[3]

It was a terrible loss, he died on a motorcycle in 1971. One of the great ones.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 04:553 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My vote goes to Layla, written by Eric Clapton and Jim Gordon but with that great duo with Duane Allman. It seemed to me Duane was outplaying Eric on this piece. Here is a short blurb by Rolling stone mag:

In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Allman at #2 in their list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time, second only to Jimi Hendrix.[2] His tone ...[text shortened]... ar Player.[3]

no way, you Noobs dont know anything, greatest electric guitar solo evah, is Ritchie Blackmores guitar solo in Deep Purples, Child in time, then after that its Eric Claptons White Room solo, then after that its , Jimi with Little Wing! Allman brothers were awesome, Dickey Betts was equally as proficient a guitarist as Duane. Rollin Stone, pffft, they probably got Madonna on there at number 58.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 10:11
    Love Lie Bleeding - Elton John
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 16:31

In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Allman at #2 in their list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time, second only to Jimi Hendrix.[2] His tone ...[text shortened]... ar Player.[3]

Duane Allman is really a guitar great and a tragic loss for music. Too bad he recorded so little. I don't know that he rates as high as #2, but he certainly was awesome.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 17:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no way, you Noobs dont know anything, greatest electric guitar solo evah, is Ritchie Blackmores guitar solo in Deep Purples, Child in time, then after that its Eric Claptons White Room solo, then after that its , Jimi with Little Wing! Allman brothers were awesome, Dickey Betts was equally as proficient a guitarist as Duane. Rollin Stone, pffft, they probably got Madonna on there at number 58.
    Well, I listened to time child, the guitar didn't even come in for 4 minutes, and that screechy vocal set my hair on edge, like scraping a blackboard with fingernails or maybe root canal surgery. The guitar so-called solo was just a bunch of fast riffs with no musical quality at all, just ego building finger exercises any second year guitarist from Berkelee could do. Not impressed at all. Maybe you have to be stoned.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 19:42
    My vote goes to Layla, written by Eric Clapton and Jim Gordon but with that great duo with Duane Allman. It seemed to me Duane was outplaying Eric on this piece.
    Nah. Layla is a great song in either version, but its greatness is a combination of lyrics, melody, singing and guitar. It's not a guitar showcase.

Richard
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 19:51
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Jimi Hendrix

Voodoo Child

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVdhkaIcFSE

GRANNY.
    That's good but not as good as 'Machine Gun' with Band of Gypsys.

YouTube
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 22:07
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    That's good but not as good as 'Machine Gun' with Band of Gypsys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEpHaa459Hw
    That is a much better idea of a pure guitar piece than the time child stuff for sure. Great piece.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '11 23:57
    Purple Haze as done by the Kronos Quartet!

YouTube
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 00:402 edits
    Well, I listened to time child, the guitar didn't even come in for 4 minutes, and that screechy vocal set my hair on edge, like scraping a blackboard with fingernails or maybe root canal surgery. The guitar so-called solo was just a bunch of fast riffs with no musical quality at all, just ego building finger exercises any second year guitarist from Berkelee could do. Not impressed at all. Maybe you have to be stoned.
    ok then, i change the greatest guitar solo ever to Iron Maidens Phantom of the Opera, more artistry than ol middle of the road Eric wid Layla. You have insulted Deep Purple, please forgive him the Gods of Rock, he knows not what he sayeth.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:185 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ok then, i change the greatest guitar solo ever to Iron Maidens Phantom of the Opera, more artistry than ol middle of the road Eric wid Layla. You have insulted Deep Purple, please forgive him the Gods of Rock, he knows not what he sayeth.
    You have to understand, electric guitar artistry is not how fast you can play arpeggios and such, the question is, is it MUSICAL? In that light, there are not many electric players that can match the best acoustic players. Just going yada yada yada with fingers flying as fast as you can is not MUSIC. It's finger exercises.

Here is a great example of what I mean in acoustic, lets see ANYONE do this on an electric:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=Martin+Simpson&cp=10&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=Martin+Sim&pbx=1&fp=f478bdfafcb0c911

Martin Simpson on a very high level.

Here he is again, almost electric sounding:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1055545753945

This is a tune by Davy Graham, another great acoustic player, I just can't keep from crying sometimes.

BTW, if you like acoustic, here is the original, Ca 1962, the one and only Davy Graham:

http://www.we7.com/#/song/Davy-Graham/I-Cant-Keep-from-Crying-Sometimes

I talked to John Renbourn at a guitar fest in Tel Aviv a few years ago and I mentioned to him how Pentangle's riffs sounded a lot like Davy Graham, he said they used to follow him all over from gig to gig, both him and Bert Jansch (another guitar genius, listen to his version of Angie from 1963 if you want to hear some great picking)

Sorry to bring in acoustic stuff in an electric column but I couldn't help it๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree