1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 02:542 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You have to understand, electric guitar artistry is not how fast you can play arpeggios and such, the question is, is it MUSICAL? In that light, there are not many electric players that can match the best acoustic players. Just going yada yada yada with fingers flying as fast as you can is not MUSIC. It's finger exercises.

Here is a great example of wha picking)

Sorry to bring in acoustic stuff in an electric column but I couldn't help itπŸ™‚
    yes yes, these are all great players, however they are not electric guitarists as you have admirably noted, you could even mention, Robert Fripp, Alan Holdsworth, Bill Nelson of Bebop Delux, Rory Gallager, Roy Buchanan, Walter Trout, Steve Howe, all great players, but Maiden is Maiden, and the guitar solo is not very fast, not compared to Malmsteen or Van Halen, or the college guitarists Vai or Satriani.

Personally i prefer Flamenco above all other genre, just had to slip that in πŸ™‚
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 09:23
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Nah. Layla is a great song in either version, but its greatness is a combination of lyrics, melody, singing and guitar. It's not a guitar showcase.

Richard
    The original did ask for best "guitar song" though, not "guitar solo". The quality of the song, musicality and technical ability are all important.

As such, off the top of my head my vote would be for "Brothers in Arms".
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 12:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes yes, these are all great players, however they are not electric guitarists as you have admirably noted, you could even mention, Robert Fripp, Alan Holdsworth, Bill Nelson of Bebop Delux, Rory Gallager, Roy Buchanan, Walter Trout, Steve Howe, all great players, but Maiden is Maiden, and the guitar solo is not very fast, not compared to Malmsteen ...[text shortened]... r Satriani.

Personally i prefer Flamenco above all other genre, just had to slip that in πŸ™‚
    Whose your favorite Flamenco player then?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 15:551 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Whose your favorite Flamenco player then?
    Paco De Lucia,

dig this my man,

YouTube&feature=related

Buleria

and this,

YouTube&feature=related

Entre dos aguas
  5. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 16:32
    Here's a cat that doesn't play metal, but uses argeggios and scaler runs effectively through chord changes, not just one mode- one song. Alan Holdsworth, I guess most well known for Soft Machine, or playing with Billy Cobham, Jack Bruce, band called UK.

I like him for his chordal inversions, very different and creative. Also, his fluidity from note to note, idea to idea. Also, great electric sound.
    YouTube&feature=related
  6. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 18:06
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    Here's a cat that doesn't play metal, but uses argeggios and scaler runs effectively through chord changes, not just one mode- one song. Alan Holdsworth, I guess most well known for Soft Machine, or playing with Billy Cobham, Jack Bruce, band called UK.

I like him for his chordal inversions, very different and creative. Also, his fluidity from note to ...[text shortened]... idea. Also, great electric sound.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xOomYyLI8&feature=related
    Soft Machine was one of my earliest introductions to jazz. A fusion form to be sure but I really ejoyed them.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 18:074 edits
    no way, you Noobs dont know anything, greatest electric guitar solo evah, is Ritchie Blackmores guitar solo in Deep Purples, Child in time, then after that its Eric Claptons White Room solo, then after that its , Jimi with Little Wing! Allman brothers were awesome, Dickey Betts was equally as proficient a guitarist as Duane. Rollin Stone, pffft, they probably got Madonna on there at number 58.
    Bah!...the best evah is:

YouTube

😏

On a serious note I haven't heard enough electric guitar music to say which should count as best but I frickin love this version of Pachelbel's canon:

YouTube
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 19:222 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Bah!...the best evah is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4VOlsKCeCc

😏

On a serious note I haven't heard enough electric guitar music to say which should count as best but I frickin love this version of Pachelbel's canon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8
    i am a great fan of theme tunes, i loved the original Ben 10, theme tune as well as Drake Bells theme tune on, Josh and Drake, as for canon rock, its been done to death, we demand style, therefore the best evah has to be,

Turner Cody Corner of my Room

YouTube
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 19:371 edit
    i am a great fan of theme tunes, i loved the original Ben 10, theme tune as well as Drake Bells theme tune on, Josh and Drake, as for canon rock, its been done to death, we demand style, therefore the best evah has to be,

Anabel Montesinos performing Fandango by J. Rodrigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGQ-VCJqx8&feature=related
    What a great discovery! I'm in loveπŸ™‚

Here she is at 13!

YouTube&feature=related

Of course then there is the great one:

YouTube&feature=related

And this:

YouTube&feature=related

Very old video, black and white, showing the master at his peak.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 19:432 edits
    What a great discovery! I'm in loveπŸ™‚

Here she is at 13!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAhtKQgIqYw&feature=related
    I'm in love, Lol i know, wouldn't you just love to be a Spanish guitar!

Alas my friend, i changed it because she was not electric! Never the less, shes awesome! See if you like Turner Cody, the song i posted is very Dylanesque, he has some good acoustic tunes as well, i think you'll like him πŸ™‚

YouTube&feature=related

the land of the living
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 19:541 edit
    I'm in love, Lol i know, wouldn't you just love to be a Spanish guitar!

Alas my friend, i changed it because she was not electric! Never the less, shes awesome! See if you like Turner Cody, the song i posted is very Dylanesque, he has some good acoustic tunes as well, i think you'll like him πŸ™‚

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL5Vt4J18q0&feature=related

the land of the living
    Pretty dylanesque all right, his name is Turner Van Pelt Kniffin, born 1980 in boston.
    nice discovery.

BTW, you mentioned Flamenco, listen to this:

YouTube&feature=related
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '11 20:191 edit
    Pretty dylanesque all right, his name is Turner Van Pelt Kniffin, born 1980 in boston.
    nice discovery.

BTW, you mentioned Flamenco, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9CS13TRH4&feature=related
    that was just amazing, quite percussive at some points as well, i could listen to flamenco forever!

Malaguena, by the same musician

YouTube&feature=related
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 00:161 edit
    Paco De Lucia,

dig this my man,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16i4OXJTPW8&feature=related

Buleria

and this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s&feature=related

Entre dos aguas
    I love Paco de Lucia and was lucky enough to see him live. WE have a local kid who studied under de Lucia and plays some mean Flamenco. I also love Bodas de Sangre with Paco de Lucia and Antonio Gades, directed by Carlos Saura. Beautiful movie!

YouTube&feature=related
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 07:132 edits
    Here is another vote: Ry Cooder and Stevie Vai, Crossroads, fun piece!

YouTube&NR=1

Ry gets around! Here he is with the great Santana!

YouTube&feature=related

Here is Ry having a bit of fun a long time ago, Pig foot shuffle:

YouTube&feature=related
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 00:281 edit
    just skip to 3:25 and watch this..... crazy... I can play the main part of the song but the solo at the end is off the meat rack.

YouTube&feature=related

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree