1. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 01:16
    I never see it mentioned in these threads.

I think that in the last 10-15 years it has surpassed rock as far as musicianship, vocals, and songwriting. A main reason is that rock has become so, so weak in those arears.
  2. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 03:19
    Originally posted by badmoon

I think that in the last 10-15 years it has surpassed rock as far as musicianship, vocals, and songwriting. A main reason is that rock has become so, so weak in those arears.
    I listen to all kinds of music, and enjoy it a great deal. I am more fond of the old classic Country. Jim Reeves is one of my favorites. Johnny Cash is another great one.
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 03:27
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I listen to all kinds of music, and enjoy it a great deal. I am more fond of the old classic Country. Jim Reeves is one of my favorites. Johnny Cash is another great one.
    I agree although i do still gravitate the the outlaws like Waylon
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 04:05
    A main reason is that rock has become so, so weak in those arears.
    Presumably you are referring to the rock music that is commercially successful and not to all rock music?
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 05:17

Well, "country" has become rock so that's not so surprising, eh?
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 12:14

IMO you shouldn't judge music by genre. Even though I generally don't like country there are always exception to the rule. Well for me anyway.

And yes. Mainstream rock music is seriously crap-as is mainstream country. Honestly, they are just trying to use a songwriting formula to sell records. Just cause something gets to the top 5 doesn't really mean much if its going to be forgotten about in 6 to 8 months..
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 16:29
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    IMO you shouldn't judge music by genre. Even though I generally don't like country there are always exception to the rule. Well for me anyway.

And yes. Mainstream rock music is seriously crap-as is mainstream country. Honestly, they are just trying to use a songwriting formula to sell records. Just cause something gets to the top 5 doesn't really mean much if its going to be forgotten about in 6 to 8 months..
    I've been a rock fan all of my life. But I listen to as much variety in music that i can. Nothing is omitted. But in listening I hear that country in recent years has more talent in musicianship certainly as well as other aspects than rock is displaying.

And yes there is quality to be found in all genres.
  8. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 16:33
    I'd seriously recommend The Be Good Tanyas, a female three-piece bluegrass group. They do lots of covers (from the predictable - Neil Young - to the less so - Prince's When Doves Cry anyone?) and several of their own numbers, which are often the best things on their albums. Brilliant arrangements, sweet voices - just lovely.

(I was also lucky enough to meet the band a couple of years back, as a friend was roadying for them as they toured the UK. So, although it matters not in review terms, i'd add that they are very nice people, too 🙂 )
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 16:403 edits
    Wanda Jackson still plays at the Cadillac Lounge down the street from me at least a few times a year. At 72 years old, she is absolutely AMAZING and still the Queen!

http://www.blogto.com/music/2007/10/wanda_jackson_celebrates_her_70th_by_rockin_the_cadillac_lounge/

Old country music is great. Fantastic, even. Today's new popular version of Country Music is a joke.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 16:45
    Re: Wanda

Looks like she might be getting some help from Jack White as well a la Loretta Lynn (another amazing artist)

http://www.canada.com/Jack+White+teams+with+Wanda+Jackson/2241824/story.html
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 16:45
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

Yeah I ignore the top 5 in most all formats. It's what lies beneath for what counts. When i talk country i'm not talking about taylor Swift or Rascal Flatts.

I saw the AMA winner list. They have an award for Latin but nothing for blues or jazz. Reminder to AMA - jazz and blues ARE the really true forms of American music.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 16:16
    Yeah I ignore the top 5 in most all formats. It's what lies beneath for what counts. When i talk country i'm not talking about taylor Swift or Rascal Flatts.

I saw the AMA winner list. They have an award for Latin but nothing for blues or jazz. Reminder to AMA - jazz and blues ARE the really true forms of American music.
    Indeed! I just visited Memphis for the first time. Great blues everywhere. Musicianship of the very first order. R&R cannot compare to Delta Blues. Current country sounds more like R&R than country. It was a joy to listen to an eight man band with horns at the the BBKing Club. Tight as an armadillo's behind and full of life. Most rock bands can't even tune their instruments. Boring music is put out by almost every rock band and medicocre to boot. Songwriting is formulaic and geared exclsuviely towards the inane!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree