Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 25 Sep '13 23:54
    Dan Ackroyd.

    Discuss. Or don't.
  2. 26 Sep '13 03:19
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Dan Ackroyd.

    Discuss. Or don't.
    Very funny man indeed, good actor, underachieving. Could have moved on to greater things than he accomplished.
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Oct '13 15:33 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Very funny man indeed, good actor, underachieving. Could have moved on to greater things than he accomplished.
    Most people would be happy to have accomplished as much as he did! You are perhaps thinking he could have done more serious work but he did come out of the SNL training camp early on so he had comedy in his veins.

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000101/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

    When he was on SNL in 1975 he was making $750 a week!
  4. 03 Oct '13 00:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Most people would be happy to have accomplished as much as he did! You are perhaps thinking he could have done more serious work but he did come out of the SNL training camp early on so he had comedy in his veins.

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000101/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

    When he was on SNL in 1975 he was making $750 a week!
    Perhaps there's good reason why there isn't a comedy Oscar. No one respects comedians. Serious acting is more demanding. Think of Jim Carrey. He'll never be more than a clown. Akroyd is better than Carrey and might have transcended comedy. Think of Robin Williams and what a great actor he is since he does both genres credibly and even he does not come close to the greatness of a Bruno Ganz (Downfall).
  5. 03 Oct '13 01:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Perhaps there's good reason why there isn't a comedy Oscar. No one respects comedians. Serious acting is more demanding. Think of Jim Carrey. He'll never be more than a clown. Akroyd is better than Carrey and might have transcended comedy. Think of Robin Williams and what a great actor he is since he does both genres credibly and even he does not come close to the greatness of a Bruno Ganz (Downfall).
    You're opinion is completely invalid.

    Have you forgotten The Truman Show, The Majestic and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
  6. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    03 Oct '13 10:18
    Humor (trans. Eng. Humour) can be described in may ways.

    One is ascertained as that who laughs at one's own faults, and relates to the flaws of one's own historical memories.

    A more cruel ascertation would be that of laughing, (responding, may I add), 'AT' said persons, because one would think one's self more 'superior'.

    Personally, and I'm entitled to my opinion, what Americans consider to be humorous is related to their own up-assedness, which in general they relate to very well. There is little genuine humour in America, as most are still trying to fathom out which language they are supposed to use. Quorum et decorum.

    -m. 😉
  7. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    03 Oct '13 10:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Perhaps there's good reason why there isn't a comedy Oscar. No one respects comedians. Serious acting is more demanding. Think of Jim Carrey. He'll never be more than a clown. Akroyd is better than Carrey and might have transcended comedy. Think of Robin Williams and what a great actor he is since he does both genres credibly and even he does not come close to the greatness of a Bruno Ganz (Downfall).
    Bruno Ganz:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Ganz

    Robin Williams was excellent in Good Will Hunting and Dead poets society!
  8. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    03 Oct '13 11:19
    Robin Williams is excellent in most things he's ever applied 'himself' to.

    He has the trait of being exceptionally insane, but 'with it' to some degree; Ergo, the likes of Milligan etc.

    Robin did grow up in an unusually large house, in Michigan, and alone though; father top exec. at Ford etc., and so compromise and creating childhood friends did soon deliver in 'Mork and Mindy', and hence forth.

    Nowadays, humour seems to be the 'becoming real' in delivering sexual innuendo, or complete examples of sexual connotations, as opposed to the genuine pastimes of old.

    Shame really. I loved my Barbie doll. :'(

    -m.
  9. 03 Oct '13 11:48
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Humor (trans. Eng. Humour) can be described in may ways.

    One is ascertained as that who laughs at one's own faults, and relates to the flaws of one's own historical memories.

    A more cruel ascertation would be that of laughing, (responding, may I add), 'AT' said persons, because one would think one's self more 'superior'.

    Personally, and I'm entitled ...[text shortened]... still trying to fathom out which language they are supposed to use. Quorum et decorum.

    -m. 😉
    I rest my case. There's good reason why there's no comedy Oscar. I do not dispute your view of American comedy. It is generally inane, crude, relies too heavily on potty humor, sexual humor and mean spiritedness. I also agree that in general Americans cannot follow complex screenplays anymore, but only because Hollywood delivers mostly claptrap, yet serious movies are generally considerably better than our comedies. Our education system is lacking in that it has been co-opted by the "feelings" mantra crowd who also focus on identity politics to the exclusion of real learning.
  10. 03 Oct '13 11:51
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    You're opinion is completely invalid.

    Have you forgotten The Truman Show, The Majestic and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
    Are you saying these movies place Carrey at the level of Williams? Have you forgotten Carrey's horrible portrayal of Andy Kaufman? Carrey is no better than a slightly more talented Sasha Baron Cohen who at least does not take himself seriously.
  11. 03 Oct '13 15:21
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Are you saying these movies place Carrey at the level of Williams? Have you forgotten Carrey's horrible portrayal of Andy Kaufman? Carrey is no better than a slightly more talented Sasha Baron Cohen who at least does not take himself seriously.
    How is one comedian supposed to portray another? That is like Arnold trying to play Rocky.

    Name me one movie Williams plays in that equals the Majestic.
  12. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    03 Oct '13 16:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I rest my case. There's good reason why there's no comedy Oscar. I do not dispute your view of American comedy. It is generally inane, crude, relies too heavily on potty humor, sexual humor and mean spiritedness. I also agree that in general Americans cannot follow complex screenplays anymore, but only because Hollywood delivers mostly claptrap, yet ser ...[text shortened]... e "feelings" mantra crowd who also focus on identity politics to the exclusion of real learning.
    There is one American comedy I thought stood out above the rest:

    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Michael Caine, Steve Martin, Glenne Headly. There was a lot of subtle humor in it. The last scene where she comes up guiding a bunch of capitalists looking for an investment was priceless.

    Of course that was a quarter century ago but still, it holds up well I think.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Oct '13 23:00
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Perhaps there's good reason why there isn't a comedy Oscar. No one respects comedians. Serious acting is more demanding. Think of Jim Carrey. He'll never be more than a clown. Akroyd is better than Carrey and might have transcended comedy. Think of Robin Williams and what a great actor he is since he does both genres credibly and even he does not come close to the greatness of a Bruno Ganz (Downfall).
    As far as I know, there's no "Best Drama" Oscar award either. I don't think Oscars are given out by genre.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Oct '13 23:07
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Are you saying these movies place Carrey at the level of Williams? Have you forgotten Carrey's horrible portrayal of Andy Kaufman? Carrey is no better than a slightly more talented Sasha Baron Cohen who at least does not take himself seriously.
    Carrey is way funnier than Williams. Not just in movies either, but also during interviews. Carrey's also more talented. Jim's movies are also much better than any movie Robin stars in. There's no comparison. When it comes to comedy, it likes like Robin's just trying to hard. He thinks just having maniacal crazy energy equals being funny.

    The best movies I've seen Williams in are The Bird Cage, and Good Will Hunting. But Robin wasn't the star/main character of either of those films. However, Roger Ebert listed Carrey's "Eternal Sunshine" film in his "Great Movies" list, a list that includes movies like the Godfather and Citizen Cane. I don't think Williams has any movies in Ebert's list.
  15. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Oct '13 23:10
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Dan Ackroyd.

    Discuss. Or don't.
    He's a great character actor, but not really a good writer. He had the help of good writers back on SNL, but if he's taking control of a project, he's not very funny.