1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 00:48
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    If you need a judge, who puts a (often highly personal) value on a performance, it's not a sport but a performance art.

In sports, you have rules which decide who wins, not opinions. Of course one can differ in opinion on whether a certain decision by a referee was correct or not, but when you get down to it, that decision either was or was not corr ...[text shortened]... chwalbe was worth 7.4 points"; it was a matter of "This was/was not a schwalbe".

Richard
    So high-diving, surfing and trampoulining are all performance art and Scrabble is a sport?

Defining sport is a tricky one but i think your definition is too narrow.

btw: I am a dancer and my dancing is neither sport nor art! 😀
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 04:30
    We also need to remember that all of life is a dance, after all which are the best celebrations after a goal (in any sport), the ones where they hug each other and give hi5's,etc. or when they perform one of those silly victory dances? 😀

Even runners "dance" ...
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 12:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    So high-diving, surfing and trampoulining are all performance art and Scrabble is a sport?
    Yes, yes, yes, (all currently - in theory, they could be organised as sports, although at least diving and trampolining aren't likely to) and no. My statement was intended as a required, not necessary sufficient, condition. (Although, if one wants, one can define both Scrabble and chess as mental sports. And not without justification.)

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree