Do you like musicals?

Do you like musicals?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
12 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Without question! Classical requires lots of training and hence the uniformity. Pop tends to be delightfully eclectically different. Lots of non-entity singers get away with awful voices like Taylor Swift, but I do admit her tone is pleasant indeed. My favorite songs outside of great opera arias are the jewels to be found in Schubert lieder and Hugo Wolff's! Brahms' are not bad as are Schuman's!
How about this for an 'outside' of opera duel/jewel 😉?

-m.

Oh! Edit: Doesn't Barbra just destroy the integrity of the weaker voice? 😲

T

Moves
13 Nov 12
1 edit

My favorite songs outside of great opera arias are the jewels to be found in Schubert lieder and Hugo Wolff's! Brahms' are not bad as are Schuman's!
Yes - Schubert's Winterreise - a great, if disturbing work. The first Lied in particular, "Fremd bin ich eingezogen" has a unique haunting beauty. Here's Ian Bostridge singing the work (slightly fussy backgrounds - it's kind of done like a film - but terrific voice):

&feature=related

And here's another interpretation - this one with subtitles:

&feature=relmfu

s

Moves
13 Nov 12

Originally posted by Teinosuke
Yes - Schubert's Winterreise - a great, if disturbing work. The first Lied in particular, "Fremd bin ich eingezogen" has a unique haunting beauty. Here's Ian Bostridge singing the work (slightly fussy backgrounds - it's kind of done like a film - but terrific voice):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISz_lP9zo7s&feature=related

And here's another interp ...[text shortened]... on - this one with subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tIbJviHGMI&feature=relmfu
I prefer a baritone singing this work to lend it an even darker hue. I am deeply steeped in Die Winterreise, a masterpiece of the very first order! However, Schubert wrote no darker song than Der Doppleganger from his Swan Song cycle.

I love Ian Bostridge in Schubert's lighter songs.

Moves
13 Nov 12

Hair, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and the two you mentioned.

s

Moves
14 Nov 12

I prefer a baritone singing this work to lend it an even darker hue. I am deeply steeped in Die Winterreise, a masterpiece of the very first order! However, Schubert wrote no darker song than Der Doppleganger from his Swan Song cycle.

I love Ian Bostridge in Schubert's lighter songs.
I forgot to mention Siegfried Lorenz gives the best rendition of Die Winterreise, IMHO. His recording along with Norman Shetler on the ivories is second to none. I just wish it had side by side German/English. Thomas Quathoff also does this masterwork great justice as does Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.