Do you like musicals?

Do you like musicals?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Moves
23 Oct 12

My favourites are West Side Story and Phantom of the Opera. What are your favourites, if any?

Moves
24 Oct 12

Originally posted by lolof
My favourites are West Side Story and Phantom of the Opera. What are your favourites, if any?
in general i hate them, however i went to see one called 'shockheaded peter' and it was amazing.

l

Moves
24 Oct 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
in general i hate them, however i went to see one called 'shockheaded peter' and it was amazing.
That musical is new to me. Quite often, people who love opera and classical music find musicals too simplified, although they run in London for many decades.
I love the film version of Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story - the music, dancing, acting - brilliant actors. And Phantom of the Opera for its music.

F

Moves
24 Oct 12

Jesus Christ Superstar.

Moves
24 Oct 12
1 edit

That musical is new to me. Quite often, people who love opera and classical music find musicals too simplified, although they run in London for many decades.
I love the film version of Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story - the music, dancing, acting - brilliant actors. And Phantom of the Opera for its music.
i was forced to sit through les mis twice and almost scratched my eyeballs out to shove in my ears.

shockheaded peter is based on a german childrens story, similar to hans christian andersen but much darker with more child killing and humour. here's i preformance of one of the songs.

l

Moves
24 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Jesus Christ Superstar.
I saw it in Gothenburg a long time ago and I liked it then. I wonder if I would still feel the same now?

l

Moves
24 Oct 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
i was forced to sit through les mis twice and almost scratched my eyeballs out to shove in my ears.

shockheaded peter is based on a german childrens story, similar to hans christian andersen but much darker with more child killing and humour. here's i preformance of one of the songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7D-VBRtLqo
I saw Les Miserables in London, didn't like it very much for some reason, difficult story, much going on. I very much like the film versions without any music that I've seen later.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

Knife Wielder

In the shadows...

Moves
27 Oct 12

Book of Mormon.

Loved it. Funniest thing I've ever seen.
P

F

Moves
27 Oct 12

I saw it in Gothenburg a long time ago and I liked it then. I wonder if I would still feel the same now?
As it so happens, I listened to the soundtrack album the other day, and the music holds up well, I'd say.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Oct 12

"The Pick of Destiny" by Tenacious D was pretty good.

The 'traditional musicals' are just.... wrong somehow

l

Moves
27 Oct 12

Shockheaded Peter, Book of Mormon, The Pick of Destiny - these are all new to me. Perhaps I can find them on DVD.

l

Moves
27 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
As it so happens, I listened to the soundtrack album the other day, and the music holds up well, I'd say.
Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice made good music - evergreens some of them probably.

Knife Wielder

In the shadows...

Moves
27 Oct 12

Shockheaded Peter, Book of Mormon, The Pick of Destiny - these are all new to me. Perhaps I can find them on DVD.
Do your research on Book of Mormon before seeing it. It is vulgar. A lot of people walked out during the show. It's done by the creators of South Park. Won a ton of Tony awards for it, and it is great, but just know what you are in store for first...

l

Moves
27 Oct 12

Originally posted by Pariah325
Do your research on Book of Mormon before seeing it. It is vulgar. A lot of people walked out during the show. It's done by the creators of South Park. Won a ton of Tony awards for it, and it is great, but just know what you are in store for first...
Thanks for your advice - I'm not usually sensitive about religious references but South Park is shown on Swedish television and I don't like it very much. I will do some research before seeing it. 🙂

Ro

Moves
30 Oct 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF

Yes, indeed.

I was lucky enough to see the production with Steve Balsamo as Jesus in London when it was revived. His performance of the Garden of Gethsemane simply had the audience transfixed. You can see a performance here.

I was also flicking through the channels one day and came across some awful awards programme. Anyway, Andrew Lloyd Webber had one for the revival of JCS, and Steve Balsamo came on to perform this. It's one of the very few times I have seen a truly spontaneous and genuine standing ovation.

Lloyd Webber was very gracious when he came up to accept the award, as he was aware that Balsamo had stolen the show. He simply commented that, after that performance, any award was redundant as the performance was reward enough.

It was a pity that he didn't work more with Tim Rice. Lyrics are often underestimated, and JSC has some memorable ones.