1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 08:31
    Does anyone listen to radio anymore?

I mean for consuming music not news etc.

What, where, when, how much, why?
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 09:15
    Originally posted by FMF

Yes very much so. In the UK we have a magnificent station called BBC6 Music. No ads, great music, new music, good, discerning DJs, very little 'mainstream' stuff. Why wouldn't you listen?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 11:52
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Yes very much so. In the UK we have a magnificent station called BBC6 Music. No ads, great music, new music, good, discerning DJs, very little 'mainstream' stuff. Why wouldn't you listen?
    Because those kind of BBC radio channels are blocked to overseas listeners!

For me personally I find listening to whole albums far more satisfying than listening to one off tracks.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 22:42
    Originally posted by FMF

Yes, it's jazz on KCSM 91.1, SF Bay area, go to

http://kcsm.org/

and click on 'listen live' for a sample. I hope you have good speakers.

It is the descendant of my all time favorite, KJAZ, from which I have lots of hours of edited-down music and commentary on CD. Intelligent DJ commentary. But I check KQED public radio first, http://www.kqed.org/radio/ to see who is being interviewed or what news is on. KQED is the most popular public radio station in the US and devotes the most air time to intelligent discussions of world/national/cultural events.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 23:42
    Originally posted by FMF

No, I almost never listen to commercial radio.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 05:23
    Originally posted by FMF

Virtually never.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 09:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Because those kind of BBC radio channels are blocked to overseas listeners!

For me personally I find listening to whole albums far more satisfying than listening to one off tracks.
    I totally agree, however that's a tough way to find new music. Can you really not get 6Music on line? That's a bit mean.
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 11:36
    Not too much. The public radio station plays classic jazz in the evenings so sometimes there. We have a private station that has no announcers or commercials that plays 60s and 70s with a lot of rare cuts so once in a while.
  9. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 12:02
    I totally agree, however that's a tough way to find new music. Can you really not get 6Music on line? That's a bit mean.
    Agree that 6Music is good - probably the only radio station I listen to nowadays. iPlayer is blocked to those outside the UK - I don't think you can get radio (as well as not being able to get TV, for obvious reasons). I should think a UK-based proxy server might be of use to FMF if he wants to try it out...
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 13:25
    BBC net radio and podcasts block out loads of stuff. Couldn't listen to the Test series against Sri Lanka for example, but - strangely - can listen to the India series. The Ashes last winter were blocked for copyright reasons even though no one else was offering online commentary.

If you look at the stuff on offer at...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts

...you'll see lots that are marked 'UK Only' (or you might not, perhaps, seeing as you are in the UK).
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 13:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    BBC net radio and podcasts block out loads of stuff. Couldn't listen to the Test series against Sri Lanka for example, but - strangely - can listen to the India series. The Ashes last winter were blocked for copyright reasons even though no one else was offering online commentary.

If you look at the stuff on offer at...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts

.. ...[text shortened]... see lots that are marked 'UK Only' (or you might not, perhaps, seeing as you are in the UK).
    No it doesn't say 'UK only' when I look. Hard luck mate, you're missing some good stuff. Perhaps you can try a proxy like DrKF said?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 15:502 edits
    We listen to NPR and there are a lot of music programs there. Like Mary McCartland, the jazz lady has a show they air even though she died. Prairie Home Companion always has great music from Jazz to folk to pop. They also have programs like Mountain Stage for old timey and such and several celtic shows.

I like to listen to short wave broadcasts also, there is music on somewhere almost all the time. Here is a link to short wave stations:

http://www.shortwaveradio.com/

You can also get a lot of these stations online and there are people out there who put online SDR radios, Software Defined Radio's that, when you sign up to the site, you control the short wave radio which will have a decent antenna and you tune it to whatever band or frequency you want, and whether it is AM, FM, single side band, double side band, whatever modulation a station has, these radios can tune them in.

You can have a cheapo short wave radio and pick up a lot of these stations, and it really helps to have some kind of external antenna but the whip antenna that comes with shortwave radio's picks up quite a bit just by itself.
  13. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 15:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We listen to NPR and there are a lot of music programs there. Like Mary McCartland, the jazz lady has a show they air even though she died. Prairie Home Companion always has great music from Jazz to folk to pop. They also have programs like Mountain Stage for old timey and such and several celtic shows.

I like to listen to short wave broadcasts also, the ...[text shortened]... nna but the whip antenna that comes with shortwave radio's picks up quite a bit just by itself.
    Indeed - and NPR isn't blocked internationally. The Tiny Desk Series is excellent, and they do a lot of whole concerts as well - and all available for download, not just streaming.

Hmmm. I listen to more radio than I thought...
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 16:02
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Indeed - and NPR isn't blocked internationally. The Tiny Desk Series is excellent, and they do a lot of whole concerts as well - and all available for download, not just streaming.

Hmmm. I listen to more radio than I thought...
    BTW, here is a link to SDR radio: Quite a world out there.

http://www.hamradiosecrets.com/listen-to-ham-radio-online.html

It says listen to ham radio (I am a ham) but they don't all tune just ham bands. Scroll down and you will find general band radios also.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Aug '11 04:36
    How about a 'Radio Red Hot Pawn' podcast? One a week, one hour long, produced by those who fancy doing it, taking it in turns. Lowish bit rate. Slap them on a blog so that there can be some photos and stuff. Just an idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree