Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 May '13 23:55
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 May '13 02:40
    The man was a brilliant pianist in his own right and a brilliant musical humorist! Thanks for posting. One of my favorites pieces played deftly!
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    06 May '13 15:491 edit
    Here's another one.

A little standup comedy to start it off, but just serious playing after that. I enjoyed this, but the first time I watched I kept waiting for him to start in with his clowning around while playing. But he just played it through without any fooling around.

I have always enjoyed his sense of humor.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 May '13 18:14
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Here's another one.

A little standup comedy to start it off, but just serious playing after that. I enjoyed this, but the first time I watched I kept waiting for him to start in with his clowning around while playing. But he just played it through without any fooling around.

I have always enjoyed his sense of humor.
    I guess he wanted to show people he HAD a serious side also. It was his 80th birthday bash.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    06 May '13 18:40
    I must be getting senile. I guess I forgot to paste in the link for my earlier post, so here it is.

YouTube
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 May '13 01:19
    Absolutely lovely! The man was a genius. So witty, astute and brilliant! I shall never forget him and regret I never got to see him live!
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 May '13 10:21
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Absolutely lovely! The man was a genius. So witty, astute and brilliant! I shall never forget him and regret I never got to see him live!
    Remember his 'inflationary english' bit? Add one to what you are saying: She had three of the most beautiful eyes I ever saw" or As I was one and a half way through the door I saw her in the hallway".....
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    07 May '13 17:52
    I've seen him perform in the Gothenburg Concert Hall and I really missed subtitles because he was so funny all the time and I couldn't hear what he said because people were laughing so much! He spoke in a very low voice and every move he made was funny.
    I've read that when he was young he wanted to be a serious pianist but he soon realised that there were so many talented pianists that he had to find his own way of amusing an audience.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 May '13 01:06
    He was one of a kind indeed! Compared to today's comic talent he was a giant of his trade. I wonder if he was wittier still in his native Danish. Must have been although his English was impeccable. I could watch his videos all night.
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    14 May '13 06:41
    He was one of a kind indeed! Compared to today's comic talent he was a giant of his trade. I wonder if he was wittier still in his native Danish. Must have been although his English was impeccable. I could watch his videos all night.
    Maybe, but when I listen to Swedish actors speak Swedish - living in US for a long time - they hesitate, search for words and do not always place the words in the right order. You lose the spontaneity in a language when you don't use it often.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 May '13 11:41
    Perhaps so, but a genius like Borge has to have maintained his Danish at a very high level. I am bilingual and strive mightily to maintain my mother tongue impeccable and at the risk of sounding like I'm tooting my own horn I get compliments frequently because of it. I am also working on a third language but making slow progress as I am teaching myself through opera. Italian is very difficult. Then just as you think you got something down you get thrown a curve ball in the form of a dialect. I was reading a wee bit of Romagnolo, at its core Italian, but admixed with likely ancient Gaulish of some sort or other.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 May '13 12:42
    Perhaps so, but a genius like Borge has to have maintained his Danish at a very high level. I am bilingual and strive mightily to maintain my mother tongue impeccable and at the risk of sounding like I'm tooting my own horn I get compliments frequently because of it. I am also working on a third language but making slow progress as I am teaching myself ...[text shortened]... Romagnolo, at its core Italian, but admixed with likely ancient Gaulish of some sort or other.
    What is your native language? I am boringly monolingual🙂 I can count to ten in Thai though...
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 May '13 02:52
    My native tongue is Spanish. I learned English in KG, left the US, came back in third grade, stayed through sixth grade then rest of my education was in Spanish. I had to labor mightily to not lose my English skills and maintain them at an educated level. I am teaching myself Italian with very slow steps, understand a smattering of German and can read reasonably well in Latin, although I don't speak Latin. Nothing wrong with monolinguality.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 May '13 09:28

The man was a brilliant pianist in his own right and a brilliant musical humorist! Thanks for posting. One of my favorites pieces played deftly!
    My sentiments, exactly!
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 May '13 16:08
    My native tongue is Spanish. I learned English in KG, left the US, came back in third grade, stayed through sixth grade then rest of my education was in Spanish. I had to labor mightily to not lose my English skills and maintain them at an educated level. I am teaching myself Italian with very slow steps, understand a smattering of German and can read reasonably well in Latin, although I don't speak Latin. Nothing wrong with monolinguality.
    Where do you live now?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree