1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 May '13 22:16
    Dallas, TX! Big D. Silicone peaks instead of valley! LOL Big hair, bottled blondes and bad enchiladas!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 May '13 16:333 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Dallas, TX! Big D. Silicone peaks instead of valley! LOL Big hair, bottled blondes and bad enchiladas!
    Speaking of bad enchiladas, we just ate at a texmex place near Lancaster Pa, called El Rodeo, a chain. They gave us so much food, we could not eat 1/4 of it and everything was great, the best guacamole I ever saw fresh made in the restaurant and huge mounds of carnitas for our tortillas (corn and wheat), beans,rice, pico de gallo,which had slices of real avacado!,lots of cilantro, a full plate of it instead of the little cups you usually get. Nice plate of home made chips and sauce, hot at the table, Then we topped it off with something I never saw before, Mango pie! It was wonderful! Kind of like Key Lime pie but if anything better tasting. I really like key lime pie.

And of course Mexican Cervesa Dos XX draft drizzled with limes.

We took home 6 boxes filled after we ate!

El Rodeo is definitely on our A list now!
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 May '13 20:36
    Sounds awesome indeed! We have nothing but really mostly bad quasi-Mexican and even those places billing themselves "authentic" are really disguised Tex-Mex. I do enjoy Blue Mesa and Matitos because they have awesome buffets. I prefer making my own guac becaue most restaurants add preservatives to it as they make tons and sometimes keep it overnight and skim the blackened top off the next day.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 May '13 00:55
    Sounds awesome indeed! We have nothing but really mostly bad quasi-Mexican and even those places billing themselves "authentic" are really disguised Tex-Mex. I do enjoy Blue Mesa and Matitos because they have awesome buffets. I prefer making my own guac becaue most restaurants add preservatives to it as they make tons and sometimes keep it overnight and skim the blackened top off the next day.
    That is gross, letting it sit all night. At Rodeo they make it in front of you. You get to choose the condiments.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 May '13 03:16
    I made the guac at a local restaurant when I was 14 and needed a summer job. I cannot remember the horrible chemicals we used as preservatives. Ruined perfectly great avocados.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 May '13 11:55
    I made the guac at a local restaurant when I was 14 and needed a summer job. I cannot remember the horrible chemicals we used as preservatives. Ruined perfectly great avocados.
    It is so easy to make a great quac, jeez, just squash some avacado and add some kind of pico de galla or picante sauce, drizzle in some lemon or lime. Don't dilute it with sour cream for god's sake! Add some onion and tomatoes chopped up. Grab some tostada chips and beer🙂
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 May '13 12:15
    Agree with the sour cream part, but a teaspoon or two of creme fraische adds a very nice twist as well as a bit of garlic, finely minced. Last night after presiding over an Eagle Court of Honor I returned home hungry. Made a mix of beans, rice, sharp cheddar, popped in microwave then mixed in mashed avocado and salsa(home made) and voila! Instant delish snack. "Calidad" chips, white corn, cheap and very, very good to scoop up with. Skipped the beer. Then for a multicultural mix had a home made cannoli for dessert! (son is trying to sell cannoli to raise funds for his band and is still in experimental phase whilst mum and I are the "reluctant" guinea pigs)
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 May '13 19:19
    Agree with the sour cream part, but a teaspoon or two of creme fraische adds a very nice twist as well as a bit of garlic, finely minced. Last night after presiding over an Eagle Court of Honor I returned home hungry. Made a mix of beans, rice, sharp cheddar, popped in microwave then mixed in mashed avocado and salsa(home made) and voila! Instant delish ...[text shortened]... is band and is still in experimental phase whilst mum and I are the "reluctant" guinea pigs)
    What is creme fraishche? I'll have to try it, agree with the garlic, makes almost anything better. I WORSHIP avocado🙂

Back in the day, when I was going to Palomar college in San Marcos, Calif., We lived on the road to Mt. Palomar and there used to be thousands of acres of Avocado's there. I remember buying a whole bag of avocado's for one dollar. Now you are lucky if you can find ONE avocado for one dollar.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 May '13 19:201 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    [b]What is creme fraishche? I'll have to try it, agree with the garlic, makes almost anything better. I WORSHIP avocado🙂

Back in the day, when I was going to Palomar college in San Marcos, Calif., We lived on the road to Mt. Palomar and there used to be thousands of acres of Avocado's there. I remember buying a whole bag of avocado's for one dollar at a r ...[text shortened]... Palomar, his name: Howard Brubeck. Sound familiar? Now Palomar has the Howard Brubeck auditorium.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 May '13 11:41
    Creme fraische is the French version of sour cream. Thicker, smoother, not nearly as tangy, but with a nuttiness that makes it delightful. Can't go wrong if you go to a Latin bodega or something up in Lancaster, PA and ask for crema.

Palomar colege, eh? The Brubeck of jazz fame?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 May '13 03:25
    Creme fraische is the French version of sour cream. Thicker, smoother, not nearly as tangy, but with a nuttiness that makes it delightful. Can't go wrong if you go to a Latin bodega or something up in Lancaster, PA and ask for crema.

Palomar colege, eh? The Brubeck of jazz fame?
    Yep, Howard was Dave's brother, he died in 1994, left a really large legacy of music, quite a bit of it played by Dave. I saw Dave once at Palomar when he visited his brother.

I was infatuated with Howard's daughter Ginger, we had some classes together. Sigh. I was star struck, she was gorgeous, tall and lithe. It turned out she liked me too if I had only known at the time. I often wondered what became of her, who she married but can't even find her name now much less an email or facebook site.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 May '13 23:01
    Interesting story indeed! We all have stories from our pasts of the one that got away. My son has some interesting classmates I know will some day be famous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree