1. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 14:29
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    let's start getting into live performances since that is what the Dead are all about
    I was seven when Jerry died; let's not, or I'll be jealous 😉.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 15:04
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    January 27, 1967 Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco. The music is okay, but the recording is not. It's one that I downloaded from the Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Morning Dew
    New Potato Caboose
    Viola Lee Blues
    Alligator
    Caution

I try to imagine having better and I get excited, but I was far too young in 1967 to be hip to the San Francisco nusic scene.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 15:27
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    I'm down with you. Only studio music should be allowed to exist for the purposes of our self-esteem.
  4. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 08:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm down with you. Only studio music should be allowed to exist for the purposes of our self-esteem.
    BS! I was 11 When Jerry died...It's got nothing to do with seeing it live, per se. OBVIOUSLY I would have loved to have seen the Dead live, and I was close. I had a family friend who went to 20 some odd shows and when I was 11 or so i was into the Dead and they were coming to Skydome in TO and I was gonna see them with him, but Jerry passed away and they didn't make it. Anyway by the 90s they weren't playing the same music...I love their music from the 70s and early 80s best.

But I have about 250 tapes of their concerts...listen to them live, neither of us have seen them live but you've gotta here them in the 70s or else you don't really know them! I read Phil Lesh's book and I was surprised about how much he regards the music from the 70s, not the 80s or 90s. I can speak on this topic for hours!

The bulk of my collection is from the 70s...the Dead were SOO far ahead of their time allowing people to tape their shows and circulating thousands of hours of concerts amongst their fans...to disregard this in favour of studio sessions is to miss the point of the band, and though I like the Dead in the studio, I can't emphasize enough how much you're missing the essence of the band.

Holler at me and I'll give you dates you can probably download that'll make you hear the band in another light all together.
  5. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 04:49
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    BS! I was 11 When Jerry died...It's got nothing to do with seeing it live, per se. OBVIOUSLY I would have loved to have seen the Dead live, and I was close. I had a family friend who went to 20 some odd shows and when I was 11 or so i was into the Dead and they were coming to Skydome in TO and I was gonna see them with him, but Jerry passed away and the ...[text shortened]... ou can probably download that'll make you hear the band in another light all together.
    The Dead had many "on" nights and "off" nights. Any serious, seasoned deadhead can tell you that. There were plenty of great shows toward the end of Jerry's life. I'm only a few years older than you, but I had the good fortune to see them in concert many times. I also had (back in the day) a serious collection of bootlegs. I agree that they were probably in their prime in the 70's, but I've seen many live shows (eg: Oxford Speedway, ME '88) that beat the hell out of many shows they did in "their prime". I hate to sound like a snob, but really...you had to be there. The atmosphere...the intimacy with the audience, was really special.

Either way, enjoy the music. 🙂 I'm sure you agree, the Dead are one of the few bands that genuinely deserve their loyal following.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 14:181 edit
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Either way, enjoy the music. 🙂 I'm sure you agree, the Dead are one of the few bands that genuinely deserve their loyal following.
    And they will still deserve it when they and all those that were part of their live audiences are dead. The music is that good.

As for the 1970s--the music then was simply better in all respects than music today. From the rise of Elvis to the Animals, the Beatles, the Stones, the Dead in the 1960s to Bruce Springsteen's early albums in the 1980s, popular music was good. Now there's Hannah Alaska or whoever and stuff. It is no surprise that twelve year olds with taste and standards are turning towards classic rock.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 14:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Don't know if you're joking here but personally I prefer most of the Dead's live material to their studio material, with the exception of American Beauty which is my favourite album by them.
  8. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 17:11
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    As for the 1970s--the music then was simply better in all respects than music today. From the rise of Elvis to the Animals, the Beatles, the Stones, the Dead in the 1960s to Bruce Springsteen's early albums in the 1980s, popular music was good. Now there's Hannah Alaska or whoever and stuff. It is no surprise that twelve year olds with taste and standards are turning towards classic rock.
    I don't think you can say that. Just because mainstream, top 40 music is crap, doesn't mean there isn't plenty of great music being made. There's some incredible music out there, but you have to be willing to sort of hunt it down. It's not going to be delivered to you on a platter by the radio stations or MTV.

Personally, I like it that way.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 18:16
    You mean like Iron & Wine

In the 1970s the radio delivered good music; now the radio delivers stupidity and tripe--bad politics and worse music.
  10. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 18:21
    In the 1970s the radio delivered good music; now the radio delivers stupidity and tripe--bad politics and worse music.
    Blame the corporations, not the artists.

Just because radio sucks, doesn't mean music sucks.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 19:00
    You mean like Iron & Wine
    And Bonnie "Prince" Billy?

All you hippies are the same!

😉
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 19:59
    Originally posted by darvlay
    And Bonnie "Prince" Billy?

All you hippies are the same!

😉
    I reckon
  13. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 06:31
    Originally posted by darvlay
    He's Gone -> Space -> Truckin'
    Ahhh, Truckin always reminds of an ezperience I had when I lived in New Orleans.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 13:22
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Ahhh, Truckin always reminds of an ezperience I had when I lived in New Orleans.
    I'm listening . . .
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 02:52
    Try this guy's blog:
    http://musicneverstopped.blogspot.com/

Work your way back through his blog pages and you'll see he has posted (more or less) 100 Dead & Jerry shows in a kind of countdown to NYE 2008.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree