1. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 07:10
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    "Ripple" (this song makes me cry if I'm drunk and unprepared)
    "Morning Dew" can have that effect on me.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 11:22
    Do I look bad at your eyes, guys, if I say 'Truckin' has that effect on me?

😕
  3. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 13:15
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Bob Weir sings Mexicali Blues, but Jerry does some terrific guitar work.
    True. I can't seem to find where the version I'm talking about is from, but it's about six minutes long and has a crazy little keyboard breakdown. I'm not that fond of the MB from "Ace", though.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 14:07
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Do I look bad at your eyes, guys, if I say 'Truckin' has that effect on me?

😕
    Sometimes the light's all shining on me! 😵

Other times, I can barely see...😕
  5. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 16:541 edit
    "Playing in the Band"
    "Me and My Uncle"
    "Dark Star"

Is it possible to pick a favorite?
    I saw the Dead playing a few towns across America, so my choice is absolutely slanted to the performances rather than the studio recording.

Given that my favorite tune of theirs is Terrapin Station. That would be my favorite album as well.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 01:44
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I saw the Dead playing a few towns across America, so my choice is absolutely slanted to the performances rather than the studio recording.

Given that my favorite tune of theirs is Terrapin Station. That would be my favorite album as well.
    Never saw them. Loved them from mass market CDs.
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 03:45
    Never saw them as particularly good musicians or songwriters. I liked Touch of Grey and their attitude/political leanings, but that's about it.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 11:17
    Have you seen Grateful Dawg?
  9. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 18:09
    Some of my favorites (all from American Beauty I think!)

Box of Rain
    Brokedown Palace
    Ripple
    Friend of the Devil
    Attics of My Life
  10. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '08 05:51
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Some good ones that spring to mind are the "Dark Star" on "Live/Dead", "Dire Wolf", "Ripple" (this song makes me cry if I'm drunk and unprepared), "Eyes of the World" and a really excellent live version of "Mexicali Blues" with some sort of accordion. I'm not sure where the latter is from.

EDIT I know it's a stretch to call him a "good singer", but ...[text shortened]... one else find Jerry's voice really captivating?

EDIT I guess ATY agrees 🙂.
    I love the Dead's playing from 68-78 really...I have a ton of their concerts from that era on tape. With the dead it's really about what mood they were in that night rather than what songs they played...if they were on that's all that mattered!

It's not a stretch to call Jerry a good singer! He's one of my favourite. I think it's a stretch to say he had the best vocal range, but I can barely think of a singer with more personality (Neil Young, Louis Armstrong, Dylan come to mind)...

Jerry took on the characters of the song better then anyone. Listen to him play acoustic old folk tunes and compare it with Dead and you'll get an idea of what I mean. Even after years of singing and doing everything imaginable to ruin his body, listen to him sing "standing on the moon" in the 80s and 90s and it's still beautiful.

P.S. I was at Grateful Fest in Ohio about a week ago and someone traded me some beers for an old CD of Jerry playing with the Uptown Jug Champions from 1963 and it's awesome!! WAY better than that American beer!!
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Sep '08 13:13
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    Jerry took on the characters of the song better then anyone. Listen to him play acoustic old folk tunes and compare it with Dead and you'll get an idea of what I mean. Even after years of singing and doing everything imaginable to ruin his body, listen to him sing "standing on the moon" in the 80s and 90s and it's still beautiful.
    Exactly the sort of thing I enjoyed watching on Grateful Dawg.
  12. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    09 Sep '08 15:02
    Originally posted by The Dude 84

Jerry took on the characters of the song better then anyone. Listen to him play acoustic old folk tunes and compare it with Dead and you'll get an idea of what I mean.
    That's a good observation. I'm going to go and listen to the Pizza Tapes now 🙂.
  13. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Sep '08 00:43
    Exactly the sort of thing I enjoyed watching on Grateful Dawg.
    It may have been Grateful Dawg that got me thinking about it in the first place! I recall they discuss " to go to sea once more" and there's a performance of it...Jerry sounds like a wandering sea man!
  14. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    10 Sep '08 19:01
    A few nice (free) concerts on here:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/
  15. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 08:14
    There's been a lot of talk about CDs or songs that people like...let's start getting into live performances since that is what the Dead are all about. On the top of my head I'll name some essentials first, then name a couple common ones but are less common than the first group:

group one:
    2.13.70, 2.14.70, 5.2.70, 8.27.72, 11.8.69. , 5.8.77

group two:

11.11/14/73, 5.19/25.74, 11.8.69, 2.14.68, 12.30.78 (the day before the closing of the Winterland I like more then the following, highly publicised concert) there's tons more I can name, if people show interest in the thread I'll drop more dates...

Its impossible to understand the Dead by only listening to them in the studio...it's like watching a lion in the zoo instead of the wilderness!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree