Greatest dead musician

Greatest dead musician

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
20 Feb 09

For shear soul I give Ray Charles the gold star.
For shear chops I give Charlie Parker the award.
For going far beyond the human level Mozart get's the prise.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by buckky
The elder Bach and the elder Zappa.

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
20 Feb 09

J.S. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
20 Feb 09

Berry Manilow

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by badmoon
Berry Manilow
They said DEAD not LIVING deadπŸ™‚

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
The elder Bach and the elder Zappa.
So you are saying Dwezel is not a chip off the old man's block?

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
20 Feb 09

ok I think I read the Post right this time, hands down Miles Davis, nobody changed music more times than he did.

P

weedhopper

Moves
20 Feb 09

I can't choose between Beethoven and Lennon.

rc

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by buckky
i cannot say who was greatest, only my favorite has to be Micheal Bloomfield, an outstanding musician! check out album Analine, he plays guitar, mandolin and organ,

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuRnT53

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by sonhouse
So you are saying Dwezel is not a chip off the old man's block?
I haven't heard very much of what Dweezil does. He's a good guitarist, but I don't know if he's the brilliant understander and creator of music that his father was. Frank did a vast range of things musically, he sucked every drop of possibility out of his ideas and he stretched the musicians who worked with him. To the extent that I'm qualified to judge it, his technical understanding of music was profound, and he seemed to grasp, if somewhat cynically, the mental effect that musical abstractions have. His music takes us to weird places that make us better people.

Guitarist

@William Penn's gaze

Moves
21 Feb 09

Dead musicians: So do you know the old joke about the student that keeps returning to Beethoven's grave because he thinks he hears music from the master, but it's all playing backwards........

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
21 Feb 09

Originally posted by gregsflat
Dead musicians: So do you know the old joke about the student that keeps returning to Beethoven's grave because he thinks he hears music from the master, but it's all playing backwards........
Decomposition?

rural North Dakota

Moves
21 Feb 09

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
J.S. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven
Those would be my picks, too. May I add Schubert, Brahms, and Chopin? Schubert was actually the most prolific of all of them considering the age he died and he covered about every type of genre. I think he compsed over 4000 numbers. He was a boy tenor with the famed Vienna Boys' Choir as a child. I saw them perform in Tacoma, Washington in 1954, I believe. About 300 years after he was one of them, of course. πŸ™‚

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
21 Feb 09

Originally posted by ale1552
Those would be my picks, too. May I add Schubert, Brahms, and Chopin? Schubert was actually the most prolific of all of them considering the age he died and he covered about every type of genre. I think he compsed over 4000 numbers. He was a boy tenor with the famed Vienna Boys' Choir as a child. I saw them perform in Tacoma, Washington in 1954, I believe. About 300 years after he was one of them, of course. πŸ™‚
Schubert was incredibly shy, painfully so. Both he and Beethoven lived in Vienna at the same time. Beethoven was a giant in music, famous throughout the world, and he used to go regularly to this coffee house where he had a table reserved for him, It must have been great for the business because people would come from all over to meet Beethoven, who, because of his deafness, would communicate with his writing pads.
Schubert came too, many times, and would sit in the opposite corner gazing at this great man, but he was too shy to go over and introduce himself. So the two never actually met.
It's tragically sad.

rural North Dakota

Moves
22 Feb 09

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
Schubert was incredibly shy, painfully so. Both he and Beethoven lived in Vienna at the same time. Beethoven was a giant in music, famous throughout the world, and he used to go regularly to this coffee house where he had a table reserved for him, It must have been great for the business because people would come from all over to meet Beethoven, who, b ...[text shortened]... too shy to go over and introduce himself. So the two never actually met.
It's tragically sad.
Thanks for the bit of trivia....which I love! Schubert would compose a song and take it to trade for a loaf of bread. He was never a success during his short lifetime. History had recorded that he died of typhus, but I read not long ago that it was actually syphilis...the same thing that caused Beethoven's deafness....only it was the father's ailment, not his own. Those things were hush-hush when I was still young and learning about the masters. Sometimes I wish I had not been enlightened. Again....it may just be hearsay in Schubert's case. I mean, how would anyone know?