1. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    30 May '10 23:22
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, by far the best game ever made.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 May '10 00:365 edits
    Nope. I beat the game. It has many flaws. There are glimpses of brilliance but it's nowhere near perfect.

I am excited about the Elder Scrolls MMORPG project. I hope it happens.

For example, Baldur's Gate is better in many ways.

I contributed quite a bit to the OblivioWiki...for example I wrote much of these entries:

http://oblivion.wikia.com/wiki/Clannfear
    http://oblivion.wikia.com/wiki/Daedroth

What's your character like? I was a custom class Argonian. I'd use Acrobatics to go places the enemy couldn't follow me then use arrows and summons to kill them. Or, I'd use stealth and summons. My favorite spell was one I designed with Summon Clannfear, Invisibility and a minor heal. I called it "Shape of the Hunter"...it looked like I transformed into the Clannfear!
  3. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    31 May '10 01:291 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Nope. I beat the game. It has many flaws. There are glimpses of brilliance but it's nowhere near perfect.

I am excited about the Elder Scrolls MMORPG project. I hope it happens.

For example, Baldur's Gate is better in many ways.

I contributed quite a bit to the OblivioWiki...for example I wrote much of these entries:

http://oblivion.wi l. I called it "Shape of the Hunter"...it looked like I transformed into the Clannfear!
    Couldn't ever bring myself from being a Dark Elf, for the past few years i always moaned Morrowind was better, but I've played oblivion on the 360, PS3 and PC and never got even close to being bored, no game as ever come close to this, hopefully Bethesda announce Elder Scrolls V after E3.

Can you think of any game that if an expansion pack was announced tomorrow would generate as much excitement as one for oblivion?, Bethesda could have cashed in for a few years more.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    31 May '10 15:27
    Civ 1, except it had an ending flaw. So I have to go with Civ III
  5. Germany
    Moves
    31 May '10 17:29
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Civ 1, except it had an ending flaw. So I have to go with Civ III
    What do you dislike about Civ 4?
  6. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    31 May '10 17:341 edit
    Speaking as a gaming barbarian, the best game I ever played was Mafia. I also really loved the inventiveness of Syberia, and the strong story lines of Max Payne 1 & 2.
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 May '10 19:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 May '10 20:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Ooh that interests me. I've heard Fallout 3 is almost an Oblivion clone, so if you liked it better it has a chance of being actually really, really good!

Oblivion is almost brilliant but needs more work on the detail.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 May '10 20:22
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What do you dislike about Civ 4?
    I find the specifics of Civ IV annoying. They can be modded out, but that takes a lot of work.

Iron Age makes it easy for your bladesmen to invade cities? Huh? Catapults are the ultimate ancient weapon?

I haven't played the expansions though. I've heard they implemented the birth of nations through revolution, which Civ has always been kinda blind to.
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    31 May '10 20:32
    Originally posted by leestatic
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, by far the best game ever made.
    Love Oblivion, and Morrowwind. Also loved Half-Life 2. Most fondly remembered games were all the Ultima ones, however.
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 May '10 20:58

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 04:34
    One thing both Oblivion and Fallout 3 suffer with is the difficult curve. There is none. As your character gets harder your opponents do, but you never find opponents you can't tackle until you advance, or for that matter monsters that are too easy and yield little treasure. I miss the days where you had to balance your own risk/reward and play cautiously in certain areas until you felt it out.

Both oblivion and fallout 3 lacked any sort of strategic depth in that manner. Something the older fallout games had more of.

Other than that, they were both great games. The worlds and storytelling were great in both games, and they almost mastered the concept of non-linear gameplay.

Speaking all time, I think I'd have to say Ultima IV or V. Too bad the Ultimate series died a horrible death.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 04:511 edit
    Ultima V was definitely a brilliant game. Too bad the Magic Axe was the super weapon. There was no point to having combined arms once you got everyone one of those.

EDIT - Oh yeah you needed to have some morning stars or halberds too for the occasional specialized situation.

Here's my favorite game reviewer on Oblivion (warning, he uses "bad" words):

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/75-Oblivion
  14. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 06:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I find the specifics of Civ IV annoying. They can be modded out, but that takes a lot of work.

Iron Age makes it easy for your bladesmen to invade cities? Huh? Catapults are the ultimate ancient weapon?

I haven't played the expansions though. I've heard they implemented the birth of nations through revolution, which Civ has always been kinda blind to.
    You can defend quite easily against swordsmen by using axemen, even without city walls. Catapults aren't so much of a threat, trebuchets are but they too can be countered using mounted units.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 07:22
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You can defend quite easily against swordsmen by using axemen, even without city walls. Catapults aren't so much of a threat, trebuchets are but they too can be countered using mounted units.
    I know. I'm not saying swordsmen are overpowered. Just that their characteristics don't make sense.

Catapults are the best unit in the game. A giant stack of catapults with a few Axemen and Spearmen will obliterate anything in that game of the equivalent tech level.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree