1. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 19:08
    The secret life of an internet chess player? 😀

Seroiusly though I don't think anyone can tell you what to write about as it's your story, you need a strong plotline or something you are passionate about and then just get typing.. hmm a book about beer?

Nano is quite a good way to start, never had the time or inclination myself as it's a lot of words in a month.

Good luck with it
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 22:16
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    This sounds interesting. Care to share a couple of "very interesting items which are true but apparently not within our acceptance levels."?
    Try this. I live in San Antonio, Texas. In 1979 the city experienced one of the big UFO sightings in history. For three days dozens of object were seen flying all around the city, day and night. It was shown on tv and newspapers each day. I drove around each night watching them make maneuvers impossible, even today, for any known aircraft. Flashing red,green,blue and white light going.
    In the mid 80's I began asking people that I knew had seen this happen. Every person said they did not remember such a thing happening. Even people who had watched them WITH me at the time. To this day I have been unable to find anyone who remembers this.
    San Antonio is a city of over a million people.
    I will save the rest for the book.
  3. Standard memberLeandro
    Leandro
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 20:48
    Bottom line...
    Write what you know, however uninteresting to others. Decide what it is that strikes you, then just sit in front of it and write. Don't plan or create outlines. Don't try to tie it together, just pick a direction and go. If you're a natural, you'll create some memorable bits to learn from and progress. Good luck.
  4. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 08:46
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Try this. I live in San Antonio, Texas. In 1979 the city experienced one of the big UFO sightings in history. For three days dozens of object were seen flying all around the city, day and night. It was shown on tv and newspapers each day. I drove around each night watching them make maneuvers impossible, even today, for any known aircraft. Flashing red,gree ...[text shortened]... bers this.
    San Antonio is a city of over a million people.
    I will save the rest for the book.
    ever considered the possibility that you've, you know, lost it? have you looked up newspaper archives from the period in question etc? do they back up your memories?
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 13:052 edits
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    ever considered the possibility that you've, you know, lost it? have you looked up newspaper archives from the period in question etc? do they back up your memories?
    it sounded like a great premise for a story to me. something PKD might've written about. - a good story doesn't have to be true, and usually isn't.

oh, and I definitely wouldn't go the "write what you know" way, because unless you happen to be transexual psychopath employed by secret service, the odds are "what you know" is really, really boring. make things up, research what you don't know, mix odd elements, write yourself into a corner and find an insane way out.

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn."
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 19:49
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    They say everybody has a book in them, and i want to squeeze mine out.

Any tips, and what would you write a book about ?
    1. Have a plot
    2. Have a goal for your characters to develop to.
    3. Don't listen to criticism until you've finished.

Other than that... oh no, wait there... don't listen to me, I've not had anything published yet!!
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 06:34
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    You are funny. I asked a local master who is interested in things like this. Seems it is known but outside of newspaper pictures (yes pictures) and a few stories in print, eyewitnesses are unable to be located. He contacted 2 guys from Colorado who came down to interview me and they were total nutjobs. I threw them out of my house after 15 minutes.
    Unfortunately video is not available.
  8. Big D
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 18:22
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    They say everybody has a book in them, and i want to squeeze mine out.

Any tips, and what would you write a book about ?
    Write about what you know. Also, don't wait for inspiration to come, just start writing...you can edit your prose later.
  9. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 09:101 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    You are funny. I asked a local master who is interested in things like this. Seems it is known but outside of newspaper pictures (yes pictures) and a few stories in print, eyewitnesses are unable to be located. He contacted 2 guys from Colorado who came down to interview me and they were total nutjobs. I threw them out of my house after 15 minutes.
    Unfortunately video is not available.
    well, you know what they say. the truth is out there. trust no-one.

btw, what kind of 'local master' was this? a kung-fu master? a master of ufology? a master of the universe?
  10. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 09:11
    hey Huck, how's the book coming along? r u going to keep us posted?
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 09:411 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    don't listen to me, I've not had anything published yet!!
    Now who could have guessed that, uh.
  12. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 10:19
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Now who could have guessed that, uh.
    what? honesty?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree