1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 06:37
    They say everybody has a book in them, and i want to squeeze mine out.

Any tips, and what would you write a book about ?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 07:44
    Somebody stole your book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Ugly-Constance-Briscoe/dp/0340933232/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206603818&sr=8-2
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 07:44
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound

I would write a book about writing a book about writing a book...etc etc. :p

Seriously, I would either try my hand a mystery or I would try a Forgotten Realms book(which is Fantasy Adventure).
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 07:45
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Somebody stole your book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Ugly-Constance-Briscoe/dp/0340933232/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206603818&sr=8-2
    I pee pee on your link. Only serious responses please.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 07:48
    I pee pee on your link. Only serious responses please.
    Ok, I wanted to make you laugh, but since you're so firm in your decision to break my heart... :'(

here it goes:

Do not write a book. Not everybody "has one inside". Stick to chess.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 10:24
    Do write a book. Even if only your freinds and family read it, still write that book. Pour your heart into it, the more you do the more enjoyable it will be to write and to read.

If I were to write a book it would be about inner struggles I think or growing up, something like that but fiction defenetly fiction (for me).
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 11:48
    www.lulu.com
  8. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 12:14

write a book, throw it in the fire, then write a better one. there's a story that Hemingway did something like this (except he threw it overboard from a ship).

write about what you know. if you don't know anything, write a fantasy set in a world of your own imagining. if you don't have much of an imagination, just rip off Tolkien or Orwell, as so many have before you.

sex sells. violence sells even better.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 12:37

Tips? Write every day ... don't give up.

About? The leadership secrets of Shaka Zulu.
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 13:41
    Try something like NaNoWriMo http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano but don't wait until November. The basic premise is that you can't fix what you don't write, and our internal editors are brutal. Better to tell yourself "Yes, I will edit, but that's not this step in the writing process." Actually, it's number 3. http://tinyurl.com/gllqr If you are a planner, than plan out at least the beginning or an outline from start to finish. Otherwise, just start writing a book you'd like to read, beginning with the first sentence. Expect the rough draft to be ... garbage. That's the whole point of a rough draft. It's rough.
  11. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 00:04

Well, Huck, what are you good at/passionate about?
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 06:06
    I am working on a book (fiction) dealing with the differences between perspective(individual view), reality (shared perspective) and truth (which may or may not have anything to do with perspective or reality). In my research I have found some very interesting items which are true but apparently not within our acceptance levels. It seems that confronted with a truth which does not fit our reality people tend to just igmore it and pretend it is not there.
    One of my working titles is "Everything you know is wrong".
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 16:35
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Try something like NaNoWriMo http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano but don't wait until November. The basic premise is that you can't fix what you don't write, and our internal editors are brutal. Better to tell yourself "Yes, I will edit, but that's not this step in the writing process." Actually, it's number 3. http://tinyurl.com/gllqr If you ar ...[text shortened]... draft to be ... garbage. That's the whole point of a rough draft. It's rough.
    "fix it in the rewrite" and "don't get it right, get it written" are maybe the two most important things ever said about writing.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 16:51
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I am working on a book (fiction) dealing with the differences between perspective(individual view), reality (shared perspective) and truth (which may or may not have anything to do with perspective or reality). In my research I have found some very interesting items which are true but apparently not within our acceptance levels. It seems that confronted wit ...[text shortened]... e it and pretend it is not there.
    One of my working titles is "Everything you know is wrong".
    This sounds interesting. Care to share a couple of "very interesting items which are true but apparently not within our acceptance levels."?
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 21:26

I have heard rhat writers from Steinbeck and Faulkner to Stephen King have said the best advice to aspiring authors is to write what you know about. Since what I know about (working at a textile mill, playing on church softball team, etc.) strikes me as very dull, I never found the advice very appealing. But I did decide on a title, should I ever write my life story: Accounts Payable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree