Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 26 Feb '08 22:07
    Curious to see if there's sufficient interest to keep a jazz thread going.

    As for myself, my interests are as follows: some swing, some bebop and quite a bit from free, creative improvised, avant-garde, etc. I also have in interest in EAI though it probably doesn't really fit here.
  2. 26 Feb '08 22:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Curious to see if there's sufficient interest to keep a jazz thread going.

    As for myself, my interests are as follows: some swing, some bebop and quite a bit from free, creative improvised, avant-garde, etc. I also have in interest in EAI though it probably doesn't really fit here.
    I'll be honest when I say my understanding of the sub-genres of jazz is limited at best, I'm mainly interested in piano trios or quartets rather than big-band so: Dave Brubeck, Brad Mehldau, Keith Jarrett (I also like his solo recordings), and of course Bill Evans.
    -S

    Edit: forgot about Oscar Peterson
  3. Standard member rbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    26 Feb '08 22:38
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Curious to see if there's sufficient interest to keep a jazz thread going.

    As for myself, my interests are as follows: some swing, some bebop and quite a bit from free, creative improvised, avant-garde, etc. I also have in interest in EAI though it probably doesn't really fit here.
    I'm a big fan of Oscar Peterson. "Exclusively For My Friends" was brilliant. Also enjoy Cannonball Adderley and several others.
  4. 26 Feb '08 22:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Steinberg
    I'll be honest when I say my understanding of the sub-genres of jazz is limited at best, I'm mainly interested in piano trios or quartets rather than big-band so: Dave Brubeck, Brad Mehldau, Keith Jarrett (I also like his solo recordings), and of course Bill Evans.
    -S
    That a good list of pianists. I have quite a few recordings by all of those mentioned with the exception of Brubeck (Take Five, Live at Oberlin).

    Since you like Jarrett's solo recordings, I take it that you aren't locked into only his "standards" recordings. Which do you like best? Someone you might want to check out is Paul Bley. I had a co-worker who really liked Jarrett. I had him listen to an old recording of Bley's. He started laughing and said, "He sounds just like Jarrett." I pointed out to him that Bley's recording was from before Jarrett had put anything out, so "if anything, Jarrett sounds like Bley". He didn't seem to want to buy it, but Bley is a cut above in my book.

    Have you heard much by Thelonious Monk? I'd be interested in hearing what you think of him as a pianist. Also Art Tatum.
  5. 26 Feb '08 22:59
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    I'm a big fan of Oscar Peterson. "Exclusively For My Friends" was brilliant. Also enjoy Cannonball Adderley and several others.
    Isn't "Exclusively for My Friends" a box set? Is it all solo and how many discs? Peterson is someone I like, but somehow I've never really fallen in love with him. With him as leader, I only have "Night Train", "Very Tall", and "Porgy and Bess". Is "Exclusively" a cut above those?
  6. Standard member rbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    27 Feb '08 00:00
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Isn't "Exclusively for My Friends" a box set? Is it all solo and how many discs? Peterson is someone I like, but somehow I've never really fallen in love with him. With him as leader, I only have "Night Train", "Very Tall", and "Porgy and Bess". Is "Exclusively" a cut above those?
    I absolutely loved "Exclusively for My Friends". You're right, it's a 4-disc set, and it's all solo. Apparently, it was all done at a private party--hence the name. I think you can pick up each disc separately. I highly recommend disc 1. (any of them are good)
  7. 27 Feb '08 00:55
    I'm not sure what EAI is. I've never heard it as a jazz form.

    I get obsessed with jazz. Listen to it all of the time.

    A Miles Davis true story (from Miles Davis The Definitive Biography by Ian Carr)- Leonard Feather visited Miles in the 70's. All around the living room he saw cassettes of Paul McCarthy, Prince, Michael Jackson and other pop artists; but no jazz. When asked Miles said that also liked Journey and The Who. He was aware of other jazz groups but didn't listen to them. He was this way from the 60's on.

    Go figure?
  8. 27 Feb '08 01:29
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    I absolutely loved "Exclusively for My Friends". You're right, it's a 4-disc set, and it's all solo. Apparently, it was all done at a private party--hence the name. I think you can pick up each disc separately. I highly recommend disc 1. (any of them are good)
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep it in mind. Maybe I'll be able to find it at a good price
  9. 27 Feb '08 01:35
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep it in mind. Maybe I'll be able to find it at a good price
    Check out the recordings of the Oscar Peterson Trio with Lester Young. It has all that jazz at that time could offer. A great mix - the soulful lyricism of Prez with the amazing technique of Oscar. Having Barney Kessel and ray Brown helping out doesn't hurt either.
  10. 27 Feb '08 01:41
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I'm not sure what EAI is. I've never heard it as a jazz form.

    I get obsessed with jazz. Listen to it all of the time.

    A Miles Davis true story (from Miles Davis The Definitive Biography by Ian Carr)- Leonard Feather visited Miles in the 70's. All around the living room he saw cassettes of Paul McCarthy, Prince, Michael Jackson and other pop artists; ...[text shortened]... her jazz groups but didn't listen to them. He was this way from the 60's on.

    Go figure?
    EAI is Electo-Acoustic Improvisation. Like I said, it probably doesn't really belong here. But since there's a certain amount of cross-over with musicians like Evan Parker, John Butcher, Gerry Hemingway, Axel Dorner, etc. I thought I'd give it a mention.

    My favorite Miles story goes something like this: A while after forming his quintet with Coltrane, Miles started becoming annoyed because Coltrane's solos were starting to get longer and longer. So Miles said something to him. Coltrane explained that once he got started, his mind would fill with all these ideas and he didn't know how to stop. Miles, being the more experienced musician, gave him the following advice: "Take the horn outcha mouth".

    So where do your interest lie within jazz?
  11. 27 Feb '08 01:50
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    EAI is Electo-Acoustic Improvisation. Like I said, it probably doesn't really belong here. But since there's a certain amount of cross-over with musicians like Evan Parker, John Butcher, Gerry Hemingway, Axel Dorner, etc. I thought I'd give it a mention.

    My favorite Miles story goes something like this: A while after forming his quintet with Coltrane, ...[text shortened]... advice: "Take the horn outcha mouth".

    So where do your interest lie within jazz?
    Sad thing about Bird and Trane is that told friends that they had run out of ideas shortly before they died. Red Rodney said that Bird died at the right time because he couldn't live without any further new expression.

    I like all derivatives of bop - bebop, hard bop. Some big band. A lot of trios and quartets.

    The ECM crowd was really terrific as well - Art Ensemble of Chicago for instance.

    I'm pretty open minded.

    I'm hoping that this thread will introduce newer jazz artists. Brad Mehldau was mentioned before, he is fantastic. Chris Potter is a newer sax player that can really lay it on.
  12. 27 Feb '08 01:55
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Check out the recordings of the Oscar Peterson Trio with Lester Young. It has all that jazz at that time could offer. A great mix - the soulful lyricism of Prez with the amazing technique of Oscar. Having Barney Kessel and ray Brown helping out doesn't hurt either.
    Are you talking about "The President Plays"? I've been tempted in the past, but never pulled the trigger.

    For an absolutely sublime recording with a similar rhythm section a few years later check out "Ben Webster Encounters Coleman Hawkins". It's easily my favorite recording within that style.
  13. 27 Feb '08 02:02
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Are you talking about "The President Plays"? I've been tempted in the past, but never pulled the trigger.

    For an absolutely sublime recording with a similar rhythm section a few years later check out "Ben Webster Encounters Coleman Hawkins". It's easily my favorite recording within that style.
    What I have is a collection of recordings from The President Plays...The President and from two volumes of Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson trio.

    You gotta like Max Roach with Clifford Brown from back then.

    I have some Ben Webster as well as Coleman Hawkins. Not sure about that one. My records and CDs are an unorganized mess.
  14. 27 Feb '08 02:38
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Sad thing about Bird and Trane is that told friends that they had run out of ideas shortly before they died. Red Rodney said that Bird died at the right time because he couldn't live without any further new expression.

    I like all derivatives of bop - bebop, hard bop. Some big band. A lot of trios and quartets.

    The ECM crowd was really terrific as ...[text shortened]... ioned before, he is fantastic. Chris Potter is a newer sax player that can really lay it on.
    Potter is an interesting figure. I had him as a sideman on a couple of recordings, but he didn't really make me sit up and take notice. Then about 10 years ago I saw him with the Dave Douglas quartet and I definitely went "hmmm...". He's "sneaky good" Are you familiar with him as a leader or perhaps Dave Holland?

    I have to admit that I'm probably extremely open-minded. While I don't have any Art Ensemble on ECM (the ECM sound doesn't really seem to work well in that genre - Holland's "Conference of the Birds" being an exception), I have the Nessa box which I'd highly recommend, but I'm guessing it's outside your current interests. If you'd like, let me better know what you've heard and liked and I can recommend stuff to you.
  15. 27 Feb '08 02:48
    Originally posted by badmoon
    What I have is a collection of recordings from The President Plays...The President and from two volumes of Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson trio.

    You gotta like Max Roach with Clifford Brown from back then.

    I have some Ben Webster as well as Coleman Hawkins. Not sure about that one. My records and CDs are an unorganized mess.
    Yeah, Brown / Roach had quite the group, though I think I only have "At Basin Street". Anything else I should put on my "want list"?

    Roach was a remarkable drummer. Listening to him with Anthony Braxton on "Birth and Rebirth", it shows just how versatile he was.