1. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 04:18
    Originally posted by badmoon
    You guys inspired me to order two Oscar Peterson CDs today.

Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson and Oscar Peterson Plus One With Clark Terry.
    Excellent! Let me know how you like them. Always interested in more Oscar.
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 11:53
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    I went to jazz club yesterday. Piano, Bass, Drums, Vocal... The pianist was amazing, but he was SOOOO high... How you can modulate so accurately and good having all the weed in your blood ? 😕
  3. Joined
    01 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 13:16
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    I've got 'we get requests' and 'night train?'
    his piano playing is just incredible
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 16:02
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I went to jazz club yesterday. Piano, Bass, Drums, Vocal... The pianist was amazing, but he was SOOOO high... How you can modulate so accurately and good having all the weed in your blood ? 😕
    Weed has always been associated with Jazz. If you read the history of Marijuana, you'll notice the jazz scene was a huge target for Anslinger's racially motivated war on the drug.
    "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."
    http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

Anyways, weed can really help with artistry and expression of any kind.

Anybody into Nu-jazz? Bands like Koop...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKetPZG47I
    Or bits of Gotan Project? I really like this version of Sarah Vaughan's "Whatever Lola Wants"...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0wtMex_0s

D
  5. Joined
    01 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 21:22
    nu-jazz?
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 23:04
    This thread is so overdue! Great to see it happening.

I'll lay down some of my favourite artists which I havent' seen here yet or who I can't resist naming:

Guitar: LENNY BREAU, Ed Bickert, Django, Grant Green

Horns: DOLPHY, Cannonball, Trane, Parker, Miles

Drums: TONY WILLIAMS!, Elvin Jones

I really like Mingus' music as well.

I have a question: I have about 30-40 Miles Davis albums. I'm looking for a live one with his 60s quartet where they REALLY whip ass. A lot of those recordings are good, much better than comparable quartets, but in which show do they whip the most ass? I'm particularly looking to hear Tony Williams kill it. Someone get back to me please!
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 00:561 edit
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    This thread is so overdue! Great to see it happening.

I'll lay down some of my favourite artists which I havent' seen here yet or who I can't resist naming:

Guitar: LENNY BREAU, Ed Bickert, Django, Grant Green

Horns: DOLPHY, Cannonball, Trane, Parker, Miles

Drums: TONY WILLIAMS!, Elvin Jones

I really like Mingus' music as well.

I hav ss? I'm particularly looking to hear Tony Williams kill it. Someone get back to me please!
    Not to slight him, because I like his playing, but that's pretty esteemed company for Ed Bickert. Breau is a completely new name to me, so I looked him up. Then I saw that Breau is Canadian, so I looked you up. You're Canadian too, so Bickert, another Canadian, made more sense.

Gotta love Dolphy. I really didn't expect to see any Dolphy fans here. With those wide intervals and harsh tones, he seems to really grate on most casual listeners.

I'm assuming you're talking about Miles' quintet with Shorter, Hancock, Carter and Williams. My favorite by far from that group is the complete "Live from the Plugged Nickel". Not sure what you mean by 'whip ass', but if you're looking for raw and inventive, then it's one to look for. Williams and especially Shorter really bring it. Don't be turned off by the so many tunes being played multiple times. They are sufficiently different. I'd even say mind-blowingly so.
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 04:35
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Not to slight him, because I like his playing, but that's pretty esteemed company for Ed Bickert. Breau is a completely new name to me, so I looked him up. Then I saw that Breau is Canadian, so I looked you up. You're Canadian too, so Bickert, another Canadian, made more sense.

Gotta love Dolphy. I really didn't expect to see any Dolphy fans here. Wit ...[text shortened]... d multiple times. They are sufficiently different. I'd even say mind-blowingly so.
    I love Dolphy. His works with Coltrane and especially Mingus are....with Dolphy I can't label the correct adjective. Dolphy is on eguy that you know from the first note who's playing.

Mingus at Antibbes is one of my favorites. Dolphy is on that one.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 05:08
    I love Dolphy. His works with Coltrane and especially Mingus are....with Dolphy I can't label the correct adjective. Dolphy is on eguy that you know from the first note who's playing.

Mingus at Antibbes is one of my favorites. Dolphy is on that one.
    If you don't have anything with Dolphy as leader there are a number that you should check out.

"Out to Lunch". This one with Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, Richard Davis and Tony Williams is an unqualified masterpiece.

"At the Five Spot Vol 1 & 2" and "Memorial Album" were all recorded at the Five Spot with Booker Little, Mal Waldron, Richard Davis and Ed Blackwell. If you're unfamiliar with Little it's only because he died shortly after these recordings at the age of 23. He was a remarkable player. You might know Waldron from his work with Mingus.

"Far Cry" with Little, Jackie Byard, Ron Carter and Roy Haynes.
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 05:171 edit
    If you don't have anything with Dolphy as leader there are a number that you should check out.

"Out to Lunch". This one with Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, Richard Davis and Tony Williams is an unqualified masterpiece.

"At the Five Spot Vol 1 & 2" and "Memorial Album" were all recorded at the Five Spot with Booker Little, Mal Waldron, Richard D work with Mingus.

"Far Cry" with Little, Jackie Byard, Ron Carter and Roy Haynes.
    I have Out to Lunch and something called the Great Concert of Eric Dolphy.

Nobody has sounded like him since.

I'll look out for Far Cry
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 05:52
    I have Out to Lunch and something called the Great Concert of Eric Dolphy.

Nobody has sounded like him since.

I'll look out for Far Cry
    I'm really surprised that you didn't mention "Out to Lunch" earlier. I guess I think of that well before his work with Coltrane and Mingus. Do you not hold it in such high regard?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 10:041 edit
    Currently In Favour (but it never stays exactly the same for long)

Guitarists: John Scofield, Bill Frisell, John Abercrombie, Nguyen Le

Drummers: Peter Erskine, Bill Stewart, Paul Motian, Jon Christensen, Bobby Previte

Pianists: Keith Jarrett, Esbjorg Svensson, Vassilis Tsabropoulos

Other keyboards: John Medeski, Tony Hymas, Larry Goldings

Bassists: Gary Peacock, Phil Lesh, Arild Andersen, Percy Jones

Trumpeters: Nils Petter Molvaer, Cuong Vu, Dave Douglas, Miles Davis

Saxophonists: Joe Lovano, Charles Lloyd, Javon Jackson

Vocalists: Patricia Barber, Cassandra Wilson, Sophie Millman

Bands: Jagga Jazzist, Cinematic Orchestra, Farmers Market

Recently Discovered Gem/Don't Know Much About Them: Nathalie Loriers Trio

Composers: Dave Douglas, Frank Zappa, Django Bates
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 18:48
    I'm really surprised that you didn't mention "Out to Lunch" earlier. I guess I think of that well before his work with Coltrane and Mingus. Do you not hold it in such high regard?
    Honestly it's that I have it in vinyl and haven't listened to it in a long time. Just slipped my mind.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 18:51
    Honestly it's that I have it in vinyl and haven't listened to it in a long time. Just slipped my mind.
    I know how that goes. I have some stuff on vinyl that's been sitting in a box for years now.
  15. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 21:37

Gotta love Dolphy. I really didn't expect to see any Dolphy fans here. Wit ...[text shortened]... d multiple times. They are sufficiently different. I'd even say mind-blowingly so.
    Bickert is very new to me too actually, and I didn't know he's canadian! MAN Lenny Breau is technically a wizard, equal to Joe Pass, but plays with a lot more flavour and taste than Pass. Don't get me wrong I love Joe Pass, but Breau makes his solo playing sound robotic.

For any guitar fans out there I HIGHLY recommend Lenny Breau, and Joe Pass's album "for Django" is a must have! It's early Joe Pass and he is playing with other really talented musicians. It's a world apart from the Virtuoso series that became popular later. He plays bebop on it and it's unreal. Breau has a wiiiiide range of styles he can play in so listening to one recording might really skew an opinion...I recommend "Live on Bourbon Street" where he plays with Bassist Dave Young, or "mo Breau and Five O Clock Bells" where he's solo, which was originally two albums that's now combined on one disc.

I heard that the Plugged Nickel was serious so I'm glad you brought it up! It indicates to me that you have good taste. I've heard a bit of it and I really liked it. And yes you got the quintet I was thinking of. It's not that I'm turned off of the tunes they play multiple times, but when Im in a CD store I never know which one to buy because it's impossible to judge the disc by the tune selections alone!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree