1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 15:19
    I've been listening to the last two studio albums by The Who, Endless Wire (2006) and It's Hard (1983).

For It's Hard, allmusic.com says:

"Driven by Pete Townshend's arching musical ambitions, It's Hard was an undistinguished final effort from the Who. Featuring layers of synthesizers and long-winded, twisting song structures, the album featured few memorable melodies and little energy, with only the anthemic "Athena" and the terse "Eminence Front" making a lasting impression. "

For Endless Wire it says:

No, Endless Wire is not perfect -- its parts don't quite fit together, and not all of the parts work on their own -- but it is an endearingly human, impassioned work that more than justifies Townshend's and Daltrey's decision to continue working as the Who. Hopefully, it will lead to another record or two but if it doesn't, Endless Wire is certainly a better final Who album than It's Hard, which is quite an accomplishment after a quarter-century hiatus.

What do The Who fans out there think?

Endless Wire is certainly a better final Who album than It's Hard?

Surely not!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 21:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    I've been listening to the last two studio albums by The Who, Endless Wire (2006) and It's Hard (1983).

For It's Hard, allmusic.com says:

"Driven by Pete Townshend's arching musical ambitions, It's Hard was an undistinguished final effort from the Who. Featuring layers of synthesizers and long-winded, twisting song structures, the album featured few memora ...[text shortened]... dless Wire is certainly a better final Who album than It's Hard?

Surely not!
    All you had to do was see last years halftime show of the Who to see they were history. There is just something about 65 year old men bouncing around the stage to convince the average 18 yo, oh yeah, they GOT ITπŸ™‚
  3. Germany
    Moves
    22 Feb '11 21:38
    Haven't listened to those albums myself. I like Tommy and listened to a few other albums, but only Tommy made a lasting impression. I guess that's because I'm also into prog and later rock operas.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 01:23
    Both are mediocre. The list of excellent Who albums is not that lenghty.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 02:511 edit
    Mediocre! Other than Tommy and the album where they're peeing on the wall nothing else of any merit! Who's Next! Came to me as soon as I hit send!
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 05:48
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Mediocre! Other than Tommy and the album where they're peeing on the wall nothing else of any merit!
    So you've listened to It's Hard and Endless Wire?
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '11 12:471 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have because a kid who comes over is a huge fan and wanted to convince us (my son and I)they had made a comeback with those two albums. Especially the 2006 one. I was not impressed. I also found their SB performance subpar for a band that used to be the best live act. I love Live at Leeds. Their old stuff is so good. Their newer stuff is incoherent, a lot of synthesiser for lack of ideas and special effects galore. I know the two albums had commercial, but not critical success. I guess it is very hard once you are burdened with topping Tommy!
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 00:261 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Ok, you got me. I've only sampled Endless Wire.

To me The Who's greatest achievments, are from their live performances. Tommy has good songs but the pace is pretty boring.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 09:32
    Their newer stuff is incoherent, a lot of synthesiser for lack of ideas and special effects galore.
    You say you have listened to Endless Wire and that it had "a lot of synthesiser for lack of ideas and special effects galore"? How interesting. I just listened to it the day before yesterday and I really don't know what you're referring to. Special effects galore? Hmmm. As for 'classic' Who, and the mediocrity of all the stuff that isn't 'classic' Who, there's no argument there. That isn't what the thread is about. I was hoping to find people who were able to offer - specifically - a credible comparative review of the two rather weak 'final' albums from 1983 and 2006. But I've come up empty handed, so far.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 09:41
    Originally posted by badmoon
    To me The Who's greatest achievments, are from their live performances.
    I agree with you, badmoon. But agreeing [or disagreeing] about The Who's 'greatest achievements' was not the question I raised in the OP.

If no one wants to talk about the relative merits, content and significance of their two disappointing swansong albums [23 years apart! wow!], I will just take it on the chin. πŸ˜€
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 12:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    You say you have listened to Endless Wire and that it had "a lot of synthesiser for lack of ideas and special effects galore"? How interesting. I just listened to it the day before yesterday and I really don't know what you're referring to. Special effects galore? Hmmm. As for 'classic' Who, and the mediocrity of all the stuff that isn't 'classic' Who, there's n ...[text shortened]... her weak 'final' albums from 1983 and 2006. But I've come up empty handed, so far.
    Even you agree both efforst were bland and mediocre. Why discuss what even you don't like? What would be the point? You're lucky you actually got this far. Who are history. Formerly great not so anymore. Nuff said!
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 13:14
    Why discuss what even you don't like? What would be the point?
    I do quite like them, though, even if they are mediocre. Pete Townshend is a very interesting lyricist. I found "It's Hard" quite interesting in this respect on this occasion of returning to it after many years. In fact I let it go round 2 or 3 times while I was working on something. It's a bit of a grower rather than a string of attempted singles. I then listened to "Endless Wire" and while it had its interesting points too, I was rather puzzled that allmusic.com pronounced it superior to "It's Hard". That's all. If you can't address that then, on this occasion at least, you're no use to me or my OP. Thanks for telling me that the 'classic' Who stuff did not include their last 2 albums. πŸ˜€
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I do quite like them, though, even if they are mediocre. Pete Townshend is a very interesting lyricist. I found "It's Hard" quite interesting in this respect on this occasion of returning to it after many years. In fact I let it go round 2 or 3 times while I was working on something. It's a bit of a grower rather than a string of attempted singles. I then listen or telling me that the 'classic' Who stuff did not include their last 2 albums. πŸ˜€
    Even thought the toughest Who evaluator ranks their last album as "superior" to Tommy, that very statement says it all. How is that possible? I'm glad to be of no use! Take care! Sounds you only want to hear positive feedback. What use is that now?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '11 01:14
    Even thought the toughest Who evaluator ranks their last album as "superior" to Tommy, that very statement says it all.
    It may well "say it all", as you claim, but what does the statement mean? "Even thought the toughest Who evaluator ranks their last album as "superior" to Tommy"? Who ranks their last album as being "superior" to Tommy? That'd make an interesting read. On what basis would that case be made I wonder.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '11 03:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    It may well "say it all", as you claim, but what does the statement mean? "Even thought the toughest Who evaluator ranks their last album as "superior" to Tommy"? Who ranks their last album as being "superior" to Tommy? That'd make an interesting read. On what basis would that case be made I wonder.
    Makes no points as to why. He simply states he does. Here's the link. You'll probably like him for he is one your UK sacred cows. Also ranks several other albums ahead of Tommy and does not review "It's Hard"
    http://www.adriandenning.co.uk/who.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree