1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 01:27
    http://nation.foxnews.com/michael-clarke-duncan/2012/09/03/green-mile-actor-michael-clarke-duncan-dies-54
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '12 22:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://nation.foxnews.com/michael-clarke-duncan/2012/09/03/green-mile-actor-michael-clarke-duncan-dies-54
    That is so sad! Preventable death as well makes it sadder still. He was certainly a hugely talented actor!
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Sep '12 12:30
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    That is so sad! Preventable death as well makes it sadder still. He was certainly a hugely talented actor!
    How was his death preventable?

-m.

Is there a cure for heart attacks now? 🙄
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '12 21:22
    Originally posted by mikelom

-m.

When anyone dies of a heart attack at 54 it is considered a preventable death. The victim must have been having prodromal symptoms he failed to heed, possibly was not taking low dose aspirin, might have had untreated diabetes, gum disease, other inflammatory processes , could have been a smoker, might have eaten a hugely fatty meal in the pre-heart attack phase and myriad other possibilities such as silent heart attacks which might have benefited from a stent, bypass surgery and so on and so on. There is no cure, but fatalities are preventable and/or severity of an attack might be minimized and does not have to result in death. It is rare for a massive heart attack to come on without some prior warning signs, although entirely possible.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '12 02:12
    Oh and I forgot diet and some cholesterol lowering meds.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 02:04

-m.

Maybe he shouldn't have gone vegetarian.
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 06:50
    It is rare for a massive heart attack to come on without some prior warning signs, although entirely possible.
    Go way with yer mate.

I know people who have keeled over aged 32, and less, with a complete heart attack which killed them instantaneously. Certainly old engineering friends of mine.

One was 28, and he left a wife and beautiful family with 2 children. There were no previous ailments or signs of duress. He just dropped dead, in seconds. 🙁

What about the spout of footballers; top healthy and fit athletes, who have dropped dead on the field of play?

I liked the actor, and loved the famous film, but a heart attack can happen to any of us, at any time.... and, of course, I hope not!

There is little, or if any, preventative medicine for a massive coronary which is totally extreme, and unexpected. 😕

-m.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 12:46
    Go way with yer mate.

I know people who have keeled over aged 32, and less, with a complete heart attack which killed them instantaneously. Certainly old engineering friends of mine.

One was 28, and he left a wife and beautiful family with 2 children. There were no previous ailments or signs of duress. He just dropped dead, in seconds. 🙁

What abou ...[text shortened]... preventative medicine for a massive coronary which is totally extreme, and unexpected. 😕

-m.
    A few unpreventable ones does not make every massive coronary unpreventable. Invariably in such cases upon further review there were signs/symptoms the decedent failed to recognize. Frequently, for example, upset stomach may be a prodromal symptom that goes unheeded. The reason younger heart attack victims tend to not survive is that they do not have years of minor ischemic issues which lead to the creation of natural shunting thereby the younger the victim the greater likelihood of a fatal attack. Fatal heart attacks are not isolated events, but frequently a cascading problem getting worse quickly because of unheeded symptoms. No one disputes prevention is never 100%. Sadly the younger the patient the more likely a fatality will ensue. In the case of the actor in question at 54 many measures could have averted a fatality. As for what "a thousand young" posits as to vegetarianism, one could have a vegetarian diet and still suffer a heart attack. It is simply less likely. The focus of prevention is decreasing odds, not eliminating a problem entirely. Same applies to the opposite. I am sure you know many people who smoked, drank, cajoled and lived into their late eighties sans problems. There are exceptions to every rule depending on host reaction to any given insult. There is a tribe in the Brazilian jungle who does all of the aforementioned and never gets cancer, heart disease or diabetes. Go figure. The Arizona/Chihuahua border between USA and Mexico presents an interesting case study of some of our discussion points. On the Mexican side live the Tarahumara or Raramuri as they are now known. On the Arizona side live the Pima. They all descend from the same original tribe, ie, the Raramuri of northern Mexico. The Raramuri are famous for their fitness and devotion to physical activity. Their traditional hunting method calls for chasing deer for days until the deer drops dead from overexertion. The raramuri have the lowest rate of heart disease, diabetes and similar metabolic problems and live long lives. The Pima are sedentary, watch lots of TV while munching on typical American snack foods. They have the highest rate in the world of diabetes and early heart disease. Turns out the two tribes have a genetic predisposition to heart disease and diabetes. The unwitting preventive measures of the Raramuri avert what plagues their twins in Arizona. Therein lays the heart(no pun intended) of prevention.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 23:44
    Go way with yer mate.

What abou ...[text shortened]... preventative medicine for a massive coronary which is totally extreme, and unexpected. 😕

-m.
    My main guitar teacher, Backwards Sam Firk AKA Michael A Stewart, had a massive heart attack at the breakfast table and died instantly. His first wife, Carol, was well loved in the DC area blues community also died of a massive heart attack at the age of 28. Her brother owns Adelphi records and blamed Mike for Carol's death and never recorded him again. Strange how live goes round. Carol Rosenthal/Stewart and Mike Stewart, RIP.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Sep '12 11:25
    EIGHT THOUGHTS TO PONDER!

Number 8

Life is sexually transmitted.

Number 7

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Number 6

Men have two emotions: ___ and ___. If you see a gleam in his eyes, do some baking.

Number 5

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years

Number 4

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospitals, dying of nothing.

Number 3

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Number 2

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.

Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

And The Number 1 Thought

Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers--

what you do today, might burn your ___ tomorrow.

- - - and as someone recently said to me:

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 21:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My main guitar teacher, Backwards Sam Firk AKA Michael A Stewart, had a massive heart attack at the breakfast table and died instantly. His first wife, Carol, was well loved in the DC area blues community also died of a massive heart attack at the age of 28. Her brother owns Adelphi records and blamed Mike for Carol's death and never recorded him again. Strange how live goes round. Carol Rosenthal/Stewart and Mike Stewart, RIP.
    And then there's Bruce Lee. What the hell happened to him?
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 21:58
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    And then there's Bruce Lee. What the hell happened to him?
    Painkiller overdose.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Sep '12 21:51
    Painkiller overdose.
    Is that true ?

BTW that original link was written by a journalist and not a fan dont you think?
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 16:28
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Is that true ?

BTW that original link was written by a journalist and not a fan dont you think?
    Hard to say. Conspiracy theories abound regarding Lee's death, none of them terrible credible. If it wasn't an overdose some of the painkillers from that era on rare occasions caused brain swelling when combined with other substances and or mortal stupor combined with alcohol, which they still do today.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 19:44
    It appears the pain killer in question was Equagesic, no longer int he market and which was combined with meprobamate, a muscle relxant. POst mortem indicates there was brain swelling from 1400gms to 1570 or something crazy like that and was pronounced "death by misadventure".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree