1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 05:17
    Movie Lovers Only

Just discovered an incredibly user friendly, one stop movie information site.

There's even a message center that's offers chat and games galore.

http://www.imdb.com/

Let's discover this treasure together. Please comments on your findings of movie rankings; television schedules;
    message center threads; new games, etc. Your likes and dislikes will be helpful and fun to read. Thanks.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 12:32
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Movie Lovers Only

Let's discover this treasure together. Please comments on your findings of movie rankings; television schedules;
    message center threads; new games, etc. Your likes and dislikes will be helpful and fun to read. Thanks.
    .[/b]
    I've used it for years, but regrettably Hollyweird keeps putting out the same incredibly lame/bad/awful/schlocky quasi-movies. I enjoy ancient cinema way better than their current offerigs. For example I got out of our local library a French short movie compilation from around 1894. The special effects were incredible, some were in color, which they painted frame by frame and took exceptional care in making a wonderful product. These days there's too much cartoonish computer animation special effects that make modern movies woody and unwatchable.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 16:00
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I've used it for years, but regrettably Hollyweird keeps putting out the same incredibly lame/bad/awful/schlocky quasi-movies. I enjoy ancient cinema way better than their current offerigs. For example I got out of our local library a French short movie compilation from around 1894. The special effects were incredible, some were in color, which they pai ...[text shortened]... h cartoonish computer animation special effects that make modern movies woody and unwatchable.
    Exceptions?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 18:30
    I've used it for years, but regrettably Hollyweird keeps putting out the same incredibly lame/bad/awful/schlocky quasi-movies. I enjoy ancient cinema way better than their current offerigs. For example I got out of our local library a French short movie compilation from around 1894. The special effects were incredible, some were in color, which they pai ...[text shortened]... h cartoonish computer animation special effects that make modern movies woody and unwatchable.
    I just watched a series of 1960's spaghetti westerns, Once upon a time in the west (Sergio Leone), Sabata (Gianfranco Parolini), A bullet for a general (Damiano Damiani), pure awesomeness!
  5. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 21:33
    [b]Movie Lovers Only

.[/b]
    Did you find that site while doing a search on altavista.com?
  6. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 21:35
    This has to be the most extreme case of old-man-whining-syndrome I have ever read.

I only like ancient film! Pre-1900's painted-on strips of celluloid. Those damn modern movies with their animation are just so unwatchable!
  7. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 21:38
    You guys are too much. Really you are.
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 22:42
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    You guys are too much. Really you are.
    I'm a old fart ,but I think for the most part the acting and films are much better today.However, there are some truly bad remakes , eg Solaris,300 Spartans etc.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 22:45

Did you find that site while doing a search on altavista.com?
    In conversation with my brother in Fort Worth.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 02:48
    Exceptions?
    Raiders of the Lost Ark series, Blindside, Remember the Titans. Godfather series. Italian cinema like Cinema Paradiso.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 02:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I just watched a series of 1960's spaghetti westerns, Once upon a time in the west (Sergio Leone), Sabata (Gianfranco Parolini), A bullet for a general (Damiano Damiani), pure awesomeness!
    Aye! Pure awesomeness indeed! I forgot Sergio Leone's masterpieces!
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 02:56
    This has to be the most extreme case of old-man-whining-syndrome I have ever read.

I only like ancient film! Pre-1900's painted-on strips of celluloid. Those damn modern movies with their animation are just so unwatchable!
    Be that as it may it is reality. Today's poorly acted, poorly shot, schlocky, gratuitous nudity/violence, poor special effects films leave me cold. I do confess the general underlying them in the last Bond film, which I was dragged to kicking and screaming was another exception to the ones I already posted. I also like Pane e Tulipane (Bread and Tulips). Bruno Ganz in Downfall was extraordinary. Walk the Line was certainly eminently watchable, but rarely will I venture to the cinema these days, refuse to watch the Oscars and other award shows.

At any rate different tastes, zamboner. This is neither right nor wrong. Today's films simply further promote society's ongoing decay/
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 05:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ... not a movie, robbie, but i love this 'live' experience so much:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/GInf0lXsyKY?feature=player_embedded

enjoy.
  14. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 16:542 edits
    I've used it for years, but regrettably Hollyweird keeps putting out the same incredibly lame/bad/awful/schlocky quasi-movies. I enjoy ancient cinema way better than their current offerigs. For example I got out of our local library a French short movie compilation from around 1894. The special effects were incredible, some were in color, which they pai h cartoonish computer animation special effects that make modern movies woody and unwatchable.
    Yes, there is a lot of dross out there. But there is also more new good stuff out there than you can easily watch in a year.

And I suspect more good stuff that you could have seen at most other times in history. (My parents happily admit that cinema in their youth was also full of the most awful pap back in their days.)

The difficulty is not that it doesn't exist, but that the multiplex chains won't show any of it.

I don't mind this, by the way, and I enjoy a mindless blockbuster as much as anyone. My only beef is that we have three large cinemas near us and they all show exactly the same thing (not that I blame them).

Fortunately, we also have one of the best privately owned cinemas near us as well. Armchairs, a glass of wine, and more legroom than a US basketball player would need. And no announcements to turn off your mobile phone (unnecessary).

Tickets £8.

Bliss.
  15. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 21:30

I'm not so interested in short films from the 1890s, and I think that some decent films still get made in the 21st century, but I do think most of the cinema's real masterpieces were made between about 1920 and 1980. Really, the trouble started once television displaced cinema as the main medium of entertainment, at which point, filmmakers started resorting to ever more desperate lengths to hold an audience.

I find it interesting when people question you about watching "old movies". Other media go back much further in time, but no one ever says, "This week I read an old book by Jane Austen and listened to an old string quartet by Mozart and looked at an old painting by Raphael."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree