1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 10:16
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Generally, yes. I don't care about lyrics in music except for some rare exceptions.
    Finally, a man of reason.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 10:21
    Originally posted by Natsia
    disagree, personally I think it must be incredibly difficult to write around the constrains of the timing and structure of a song, and I don't think it was a fair statement.
    NYARG.
    But that's not disagreeing with me. Despite my provocative OP, I recognize their aesthetic value as 'lyrics'. As not comparable mediums, if you will. But that means that their value as poetry is weak. As much as some poetry would be hard to use as 'lyrics', and their value as such would be weak.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 10:27
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Like I said, social commentary is simplistic and takes a form very close to propaganda, with its combination of aesthetics and repetition. 'Resonation' is a product of that. A similar argument could be made for the philosophy in lyrics. In the end, it's just a longer fortune cookie.

A corollary of the value of lyrics being contextualized in the song is t ...[text shortened]... at way, then you must agree that there is at least some degree of objectivity in its value.
    I'm not getting pulled into this one, you're making way too much out of it.

Lyrics can have meaning to some and not to others. Within the song, they add to the sum of the parts. Out of it they're only worth investigating either subjectively, or as part of a group venture in which the aim is to analyse the group's views on the lyrics, not the quality of the lyrics themselves.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 10:29
    But that's not disagreeing with me. Despite my provocative OP, I recognize their aesthetic value as 'lyrics'. As not comparable mediums, if you will. But that means that their value as poetry is weak. As much as some poetry would be hard to use as 'lyrics', and their value as such would be weak.
    On what scale is poetry of any higher level than lyrics?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 10:33
    Originally posted by Starrman
    On what scale is poetry of any higher level than lyrics?
    Mine, in particular, and in general any coherent one. This stems from the fact that non-lyrical poetry is less constrained than lyrics, so lyrics will always be a poorer medium when seen as poetry.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 10:36
    I'm not getting pulled into this one, you're making way too much out of it.

Lyrics can have meaning to some and not to others. Within the song, they add to the sum of the parts. Out of it they're only worth investigating either subjectively, or as part of a group venture in which the aim is to analyse the group's views on the lyrics, not the quality of the lyrics themselves.
    Fine. Avoid my point. Pretend it wasn't there. Don't get 'pulled' into it.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:06
    Mine, in particular, and in general any coherent one. This stems from the fact that non-lyrical poetry is less constrained than lyrics, so lyrics will always be a poorer medium when seen as poetry.
    And non-lyrical poetry then being less constrained than prose? And prose than the novel?

What you call constraint I call medium, to make any scale of which medium is better is just an exercise in aesthetic preference. Would you put oil painting above pastels?
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:07
    Fine. Avoid my point. Pretend it wasn't there. Don't get 'pulled' into it.
    I just don't want to get antagonized.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:07
    And non-lyrical poetry then being less constrained than prose? And prose than the novel?

What you call constraint I call medium, to make any scale of which medium is better is just an exercise in aesthetic preference. Would you put oil painting above pastels?
    Yes. And if you were reading this thread you would see where I addressed that issue. And that's why on that sentence I clearly added "when seen as poetry".
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:081 edit
    I just don't want to get antagonized.
    It's just the one trick I know. Anyway, you're focusing on the poetry part of my past (which was the one I was interested less). I'd love to hear your thoughts on the other two.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:16
    Yes. And if you were reading this thread you would see where I addressed that issue. And that's why on that sentence I clearly added "when seen as poetry".
    So some people take lyrics too seriously. Some people need that, or enjoy that and if it makes them feel good; fantastic. I still don't see why you want to extract them from their medium and compare them to another medium, aren't they just fine where they are? Propaganda is stretching it a little and pales into insignificance when compared to visual media.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:20
    It's just the one trick I know. Anyway, you're focusing on the poetry part of my past (which was the one I was interested less). I'd love to hear your thoughts on the other two.
    No argument on philosophy, or social commentary. Though they do have perhaps insight. Even if they can't guide you they can sometimes open the door.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:241 edit
    Propaganda is stretching it a little and pales into insignificance when compared to visual media.
    Is it? Many people fall into social groups in their teenage years due to music that end up shaping their political views. And voila, their political views often mirror the ones of their loved musicians. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Of course I'm generalizing and speculating a lot, but I think there is a strong power in anything that is repeated to you in a form that is as pleasing aesthetically as someone's favourite music is.

Edit - I didn't comment on the rest, as I see we hit a barrier. Better to leave in respectful disagreement.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:29
    Is it? Many people fall into social groups in their teenage years due to music that end up shaping their political views. And voila, their political views often mirror the ones of their loved musicians. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Of course I'm generalizing and speculating a lot, but I think there is a strong power in anything that is repeated to ...[text shortened]... comment on the rest, as I see we hit a barrier. Better to leave in respectful disagreement.
    Well, personally I wouldn't know about that. I had little or no musical influence or political awareness until I went to college and then, drugs and computer games took over. It wasn't until I started working that I began to form political ideas, this place and my philosphy degree have been the prime factors in structuring it, previously it just did not interest me at all.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 15:45
    In the end they're just poor poetry, weak philosophy or simplistic political commentary.
    The great majority of poetry, philosophy, and political commentary (or anything else that human beings do) is poor. Why should lyrics be any different?

It's easy to look back at the great poets and thinkers from the past and forget that for every great one, there were legions of terrible ones. Greatness has been and always will be rare.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree