1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 15:53
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    The great majority of poetry, philosophy, and political commentary (or anything else that human beings do) is poor. Why should lyrics be any different?

It's easy to look back at the great poets and thinkers from the past and forget that for every great one, there were legions of terrible ones. Greatness has been and always will be rare.
    Yawn.

I said "poor poetry" not just "poor". Same for the other two.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 16:08
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Is it? Many people fall into social groups in their teenage years due to music that end up shaping their political views. And voila, their political views often mirror the ones of their loved musicians. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Of course I'm generalizing and speculating a lot, but I think there is a strong power in anything that is repeated to ...[text shortened]... comment on the rest, as I see we hit a barrier. Better to leave in respectful disagreement.
    So are you saying that artists should avoid making political statements?
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 16:16
    So are you saying that artists should avoid making political statements?
    No, I'm saying that people should think about what they believe and why they've come to believe it.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 16:254 edits
    No, I'm saying that people should think about what they believe and why they've come to believe it.
    I do find that the best songs are those that simply challenge the prevailing assumptions or beliefs -- getting the listener to ask questions -- without the artist preaching about what he or she believes is the "right" thing to do is.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 16:32
    I do find that the best songs are those that simply challenge the prevailing assumptions or beliefs -- getting the listener to ask questions -- without the artist preaching about what he or she believes is the "right" thing to do is.
    Then you are a victim of aesthetics.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 16:36
    The voice is important. Lyrics are not.

It doesn't matter what you're saying/singing, what matters (to me) is how you're singing/saying it.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 16:44
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The voice is important. Lyrics are not.

It doesn't matter what you're saying/singing, what matters (to me) is how you're singing/saying it.
    So you're seriously saying that if *insert a favoured artist here* was singing 'blah blah goo goo, I love to rape small children, but lovely people climb that steeple, reaching for some oatmeal' or the like, over a song you know well that it wouldn't matter as long as they were singing it in the right way? And what's the 'right' way?
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 16:52
    Then you are a victim of aesthetics.
    what does that mean?
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 17:031 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    So you're seriously saying that if *insert a favoured artist here* was singing 'blah blah goo goo, I love to rape small children, but lovely people climb that steeple, reaching for some oatmeal' or the like, over a song you know well that it wouldn't matter as long as they were singing it in the right way? And what's the 'right' way?
    Yes. That is essentially what I'm saying and the 'right' way is whatever way is pleasing to my ear. Of course, lyrics are important in that my ear is pleased greatly by the way the words 'flow', the harmonies within a melody, etc. but really the words themselves (or the messages) are secondary.

An example:

Animal Collective - focus is entirely on the use of a voice as an instrument, layered harmonies, heavy on effects, oddly-timed stanzas that build more tension. The band records absolutely beautiful vocals that really appeal to my ear. BUT their lyrics are typically childish and inane. Does it matter?

Joy Division - I absolutely love the Ian Curits baritone and can listen to it endlessly but I couldn't tell you what any Joy Division song is 'about'. I've never cared to listen intently to the lyrics.

Anyways, this is just me speaking of course. We're all different.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 17:06
    Yes. That is essentially what I'm saying and the 'right' way is whatever way is pleasing to my ear. Of course, lyrics are important in that my ear is pleased greatly by the way the words 'flow', but really the words themselves (or the messages) are secondary.

An example:

Animal Collective - focus is entirely on the use of a voice as an instrument, ...[text shortened]... y to the lyrics.

Anyways, this is just me speaking of course. We're all different.
    Are there no songs in which the lyrics are important to you? I agree that the musicality of it all is often more powerful, but I refuse to accept that as a general rule.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 17:09
    Are there no songs in which the lyrics are important to you? I agree that the musicality of it all is often more powerful, but I refuse to accept that as a general rule.
    If they are important to me, they are for how they are delivered, not the message itself.

At the moment, I can't think of one single song that really "spoke" to me through its lyrics... I guess that is a bit bizarre.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 17:12
    I agree that the musicality of it all is often more powerful, but I refuse to accept that as a general rule.
    Is there such a thing as a general rule in music?
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 17:14
    If they are important to me, they are for how they are delivered, not the message itself.

At the moment, I can't think of one single song that really "spoke" to me through its lyrics... I guess that is a bit bizarre.
    You're not alone. At least to me, that's not bizarre at all.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 17:16
    You're not alone. At least to me, that's not bizarre at all.
    That's not true. There was that time in 1993 you used to play Creep repeatedly in your bedroom until you sobbed into your yearbook, no?
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 17:17
    Well it seems bizarre to me. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree