1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 14:27
    oh my goodness, i just got a Spanish cook book, Tapas, the little dishes of Spain, Penelope Cassas, and i am appalled at what the Spanish will eat, spicy boiled octopus, aaaaaurgh, baby eels in Garlic sauce, barrff, snails in green sauce, frogs legs in green sauce, sauteed frogs legs, pigs foot crepe, battered fried brains, my goodness these guys will eat anything 😲
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 14:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    oh my goodness, i just got a Spanish cook book, Tapas, the little dishes of Spain, Penelope Cassas, and i am appalled at what the Spanish will eat, spicy boiled octopus, aaaaaurgh, baby eels in Garlic sauce, barrff, snails in green sauce, frogs legs in green sauce, sauteed frogs legs, pigs foot crepe, battered fried brains, my goodness these guys will eat anything 😲
    Why did you buy a Spanish cook book then?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 14:483 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why did you buy a Spanish cook book then?
    my sisters friend is a Spanish vet, he lives and works here, Pepe, an excellent man, he has taught her kids to speak Spanish and everything, anyhow, she was talking of a type of pork/beef sort of dish cooked with vegetables and wrapped up in a baguette, something that students in Spain would eat she said and was amazing, so i thought, wow, sounds really awesome, i must get a Spanish cook book, one of those crusty baguette with and a bottle of red wine, mmmm!
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 14:57
    my sisters friend is a Spanish vet, he lives and works here, Pepe, an excellent man, he has taught her kids to speak Spanish and everything, anyhow, she was talking of a type of pork/beef sort of dish cooked with vegetables and wrapped up in a baguette, something that students in Spain would eat she said and was amazing, so i thought, wow, sounds rea ...[text shortened]... must get a Spanish cook book, one of those crusty baguette with and a bottle of red wine, mmmm!
    Well, don't knock the fried brains until you try it! 😵
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Well, don't knock the fried brains until you try it! 😵
    Lol, yes the lady in the book says that its a delicacy! they also eat fried brains in Pakistan not to mention goats testicles, gulp!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 21:45
    Some of the best food in the world! Don't dismiss it until you try it. Their seafood is awesome. Some really interesting cheeses come from Spain like Manchego. Their pork dishes are very good indeed. If you're ever in Madrid go to La Bodega, the oldest continuously operating restaurant in the world. One of my favorite dishes is fish Byscayne style. Spanish tortilla is very good indeed. Simple country fare. The baby eels are better fresh than canned. They also have the best anchovies. Fresh, delectable unlike the salty, fishy crap we put on our pizza in America.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 22:21
    hola

one beer, por pavor

'algo mas?'

*confused look on face, smiles politely*

'dos sesenta, senor.'

*still smiling politely, hands over 10 euro note*

*receives beer*

gracias
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '09 22:331 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    hola

one beer, por pavor

'algo mas?'

*confused look on face, smiles politely*

'dos sesenta, senor.'

*still smiling politely, hands over 10 euro note*

*receives beer*

gracias
    How much is beer in Peru? Is it as bad as the swill they sell in Spain? I have an ongoing argument going on between two who feel one another's food is worse than the other's. They are from Colombia and Peru. Aren't both bland and ordinary? I like Bolivian food because it is odd and spicy. However, Italian food beats all!!!!
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '09 22:59
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    How much is beer in Peru? Is it as bad as the swill they sell in Spain? I have an ongoing argument going on between two who feel one another's food is worse than the other's. They are from Colombia and Peru. Aren't both bland and ordinary? I like Bolivian food because it is odd and spicy. However, Italian food beats all!!!!
    a big bottle (were talking about 750ml) is 3 soles (about $1) depending on where you are, obviously if you go to a gringo bar you pay about 7 soles. and yes it's terrible. they should feel ashamed to call it beer, it's that bad.

i've been to colombia and i would have to say that peruvian food is much better, colombian food is more expensive and imo is much more bland than peruvian food. i like the 'cifa's' in peru, ceviche is an excellent dish in peru. and just the variety they have has to be admired.

funny you mention bolivian food, it's by far my least favorite food in all of s. america, yeah the gringo restaurants have decent food but what the local people eat is so much worst that what local peruvian people eat i think. over sized, pineapples, chicken, kiwi, everything. i don't know what they are feeding their food down there but it's not natural and i was glad to leave the place. even their rice wasn't as nice as peruvian rice, not sure if they use a different grain or what but it was horrible.

peruvian food is actually famed in s. america for being the best, i know you can't beat an argentine steak but they don't have a lot to go with it.

bolivia does have the best beer though, 'bock' is very good.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '09 23:29
    a big bottle (were talking about 750ml) is 3 soles (about $1) depending on where you are, obviously if you go to a gringo bar you pay about 7 soles. and yes it's terrible. they should feel ashamed to call it beer, it's that bad.

i've been to colombia and i would have to say that peruvian food is much better, colombian food is more expensive and imo is much ...[text shortened]... ot to go with it.

bolivia does have the best beer though, 'bock' is very good.
    When I visited Italy in 04 I was pleasantly surprised by a little known beer outside of Italy, "Birra Peroni". 750cc bottle was only 1.5 Euros in a little out of the way town near Ravenna. Nice and cold it was excellent. Went well with the local fare.

Some day I will/hope to visit Peru. A good friend went and really enjoyed it. Very nice people. I have yet to meet a Peruvian I found obnoxious. Chilean food is sorta bland, but presents great variety and great empanadas.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 00:59
    When I visited Italy in 04 I was pleasantly surprised by a little known beer outside of Italy, "Birra Peroni". 750cc bottle was only 1.5 Euros in a little out of the way town near Ravenna. Nice and cold it was excellent. Went well with the local fare.

Some day I will/hope to visit Peru. A good friend went and really enjoyed it. Very nice people. I ha ...[text shortened]... found obnoxious. Chilean food is sorta bland, but presents great variety and great empanadas.
    you should go to peru, really nice country and the people are very, very friendly. lima can't be a bit daunting to some and can feel a lot like the states if they don't venture outside of miraflores but i can tell you that if you do take the time to explore it and get it know its people you'll really enjoy the craziness of the place.

never been to chile, i think everywhere in s. america has good empanadas if you look in the right place, i surprisingly found the best i've had in a little border town in bolivia, colombia loved their empanadas.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 02:29
    you should go to peru, really nice country and the people are very, very friendly. lima can't be a bit daunting to some and can feel a lot like the states if they don't venture outside of miraflores but i can tell you that if you do take the time to explore it and get it know its people you'll really enjoy the craziness of the place.

never been to chile, ...[text shortened]... found the best i've had in a little border town in bolivia, colombia loved their empanadas.
    Almost went to Argentina and Venezuela then 911 struck and the world changed. Ended up instead in Guadalajara, MX. Neat place, too. I love all people from all over, but partial to Italians since I'm married to one. Love almost every food I try regradless of country as long as it is not bland. Same as music. I dislike bland, icky, gooey disney-like songs. Same as paintings. Love almost all art as long as it is not bland.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 16:09
    Almost went to Argentina and Venezuela then 911 struck and the world changed. Ended up instead in Guadalajara, MX. Neat place, too. I love all people from all over, but partial to Italians since I'm married to one. Love almost every food I try regradless of country as long as it is not bland. Same as music. I dislike bland, icky, gooey disney-like songs. Same as paintings. Love almost all art as long as it is not bland.
    do you like Indian food? its not very bland, and there is a great diversity, for the region is so vast!
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 17:36

Some day I will/hope to visit Peru. A good friend went and really enjoyed it. Very nice people. I ha ...[text shortened]... found obnoxious. Chilean food is sorta bland, but presents great variety and great empanadas.
    LOL, Peroni is everywhere and it's crap.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 18:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree