1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 21:22
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    A new UK anthem would be problematic though as I am not aware of
    any song that celebrates the whole of the UK.
    (Land of Hope & Glory is too English)
    Scots independence could be the opportunity we need to adopt Jerusalem as our anthem!
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 22:48
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    You don't like Rule Britannia? That basically covers the whole UK, does it not?
    Too jingoistic!
    When did we last "rule the seas"?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 22:49
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Scots independence could be the opportunity we need to adopt Jerusalem as our anthem!
    A friend of mine wanted Jerusalem at their wedding but was told it was
    too "Jewish" 🙄
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 00:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Too jingoistic!
    When did we last "rule the seas"?
    Get rid of the lyrics and adopt new ones like Germany did with theirs! anthems are by nature jingoistic, but certainly "rule" is a word in disuse as it pertains to Britannia ruling waves!
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 06:06
    Comprehensive List:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_anthems
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 12:471 edit
    Jerusalem is indeed quite lovely!

YouTube

I had not heard it until now!

And more anthems from the great UK! YouTube
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 13:01
    Jerusalem is indeed quite lovely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKaJ4b0XYmI

I had not heard it until now!

And more anthems from the great UK! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuklaSkPcg
    Jerusalem has always been awesome, especially on the Last Night of the Proms, at the Royal Albert Hall.

However, I can't believe the price of this year's tickets....

Option 1: Reserved Circle Seats: £495.00

Option 2: Reserved Stalls Seats: £675.00

Option 3: Private VIP box seats 5 people: £4,950.00

Option 4: Private VIP box seats 10 People: £9,999.00

....... 🙄 😲 😕 ..... unbelievable.....

-m. 🙁
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 17:20
    There is a lot of people standing near the stage, how much do they pay on this particular occation - Last Night of the Proms? They are so enthusiastic and they do follow the tradition of making a lot of noises now and then.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 23:38
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Jerusalem has always been awesome, especially on the Last Night of the Proms, at the Royal Albert Hall.

However, I can't believe the price of this year's tickets....

Option 1: Reserved Circle Seats: £495.00

Option 2: Reserved Stalls Seats: £675.00

Option 3: Private VIP box seats 5 people: £4,950.00

Option 4: Private VIP box seats 10 People: £9,999.00

....... 🙄 😲 😕 ..... unbelievable.....

-m. 🙁
    That is ungodly expensive! That's too bad. That's worse than attending the super bowl! I was hoping to try and go some day. I think I'll stick to trying to go to Bayreuth!
  10. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 11:08
    That is ungodly expensive! That's too bad. That's worse than attending the super bowl! I was hoping to try and go some day. I think I'll stick to trying to go to Bayreuth!
    On the other hand, if you're prepared to queue and stand, you can get in for next to nothing! Queues for the Last Night are very long, but most evenings through the season you can get in for five quid with little trouble.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 13:10
    On the other hand, if you're prepared to queue and stand, you can get in for next to nothing! Queues for the Last Night are very long, but most evenings through the season you can get in for five quid with little trouble.
    I guess it depends on what time of year the proms take place. I'd certainly queue for a wonderful musical extravaganza like that! Except in bitter cold. Unless I could bring my tent and sleeping bag and place on wheels to move up the queue! Thanks for the tip!
  12. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 13:18
    I guess it depends on what time of year the proms take place. I'd certainly queue for a wonderful musical extravaganza like that! Except in bitter cold. Unless I could bring my tent and sleeping bag and place on wheels to move up the queue! Thanks for the tip!
    It's a summer thing. Although here in Britain it's hard to rely even on decent summer weather!
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 13:371 edit
    It's a summer thing. Although here in Britain it's hard to rely even on decent summer weather!
    I am used to outdoors so I would most definitely attempt a summertime queue! I also definitely have UK on my "places to visit" list! However, I hate Europe during high season!

But back to anthems, what do you think of Uruguay's anthem and Argentina's? So Italianate!
    YouTube

YouTube
  14. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 14:34
    I am used to outdoors so I would most definitely attempt a summertime queue! I also definitely have UK on my "places to visit" list! However, I hate Europe during high season!

But back to anthems, what do you think of Uruguay's anthem and Argentina's? So Italianate!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6L_0NZlqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWOxr3-M4c
    The UK doesn't really have a "high season" since we don't have such intensive tourism as France, Italy or Spain. But if you're worried about that, June or September is usually still nice, mild weather (not that you can predict the weather over here.

Yes the opening especially of the Argentinian one does sound rather operatic! But although I see there are Italianate elements, interestingly and perhaps surprisingly, there are also aspects that are more Slavic than Latin.

Found the Uruguayan one a bit monotonously cheerful.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 15:281 edit
    The UK doesn't really have a "high season" since we don't have such intensive tourism as France, Italy or Spain. But if you're worried about that, June or September is usually still nice, mild weather (not that you can predict the weather over here.

Yes the opening especially of the Argentinian one does sound rather operatic! But although I see there ar ...[text shortened]... ts that are more Slavic than Latin.

Found the Uruguayan one a bit monotonously cheerful.
    I did sense the spirit of Borodin and Mussorgsky in these pieces as well as Smetana.

You are right about UK. The last image plays trick in our heads and the scads of people from the summer Olympics etched in my memory. The lines in Italy were awful when I last went!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree