Nationality, Patriotism and Identity

Nationality, Patriotism and Identity

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Seitse
Seeing the U.S. is not exactly seeing the world, rb.

Quite the opposite, really.
We ARE the world.

(stolen and modified from Louis the XIV)

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Apr 08

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Can't you love your country without pretending the world was 'shaped' by it?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 08

Originally posted by Palynka
Can't you love your country without pretending the world was 'shaped' by it?
Pretending?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Apr 08

You're celebrating St George's Day with continental beer? Seems a bit odd, but I suppose I'd drink a Corona on the 4th of July.

Moves
23 Apr 08

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Apr 08
1 edit

Did you hear about the rest of the world's history, as well?

Moves
23 Apr 08

S

Moves
23 Apr 08

So remind me what English culture consists of, that I might celebrate my spacial heritage tonight.

Moves
23 Apr 08

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Apr 08

My sense of identity is pretty strong, actually. I don't need to feel the world owes us anything in order to love my heritage.

I'm just laughing at your idea that England somehow is responsible for shaping the modern world. Certainly you can be happy for your achievements, just leave the rest of the world out of it. It's too big for any one nation.

S

Moves
23 Apr 08
1 edit

Did those achievements arise from something particular about the English? If so, please elaborate.

Do those acheivements somehow relate to what it is to be English now? If so, please elaborate.

Is cultural grouping of the past relevant to that of today? If so, how long in the past can one look back with pride and do the abhorrent actions taken by the group in the past impact upon the good?

And finally, please define the boundaries of the group with reference to the above questions. For example are English migrants included, what about immigrants? After how long might an immigrant become part of the cultural group? Etc.

IM
Primal Primate

holiest of holies

Moves
23 Apr 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Starrman
So remind me what English culture consists of, that I might celebrate my spacial heritage tonight.
black pudding, beatles, cloth caps and whippets, warm beer, the Royals, Spitfires.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Apr 08

Did those achievements arise from something particular about the English? If so, please elaborate.

Do those acheivements somehow relate to what it is to be English now? If so, please elaborate.

Is cultural grouping of the past relevant to that of today? If so, how long in the past can one look back with pride and do the abhorrent actions taken by t ...[text shortened]... hat about immigrants? After how long might an immigrant become part of the cultural group? Etc.
History matters. Anyone born in England today will be born into a particular environment because of said history. In that sense, such achievements relate to what it is to be English nowadays.

S

Moves
23 Apr 08

Originally posted by Palynka
History matters. Anyone born in England today will be born into a particular environment because of said history. In that sense, such achievements relate to what it is to be English nowadays.
Okay, but how does that relate to celebrating St George's day and what are the specific parameters of that history, are English people in general aware of them?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Apr 08

Okay, but how does that relate to celebrating St George's day and what are the specific parameters of that history, are English people in general aware of them?
I'm not aware of them myself, so I can't answer that one...