1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 23:39
    Originally posted by lolof
    I think it's important with some very emotional operas that we can identify with the characters - Mimi, Carmen, Tosca to mention a few. If we can do that and if we can relate to the story, the music helps create and support our emotions. I think Puccini was very good at that, and so are/were many composers.
    I suppose I could express this better in Swedish but I hope you know what I mean. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I know what you mean and you express it rather well. Do not sell yourself short on English. Better than most Yanks'! The fact is that no other music genre is so tied to the emotions/drama/foibles/heroics of any given character. Unlike other art forms few opera characters are over-idealized although some are overwrought. Curiously, since you mention Tosca, Floria Tosca is not entirely sympathetic at first, but she grows into her heroine role quite nicely. Puccini builds her up gradually from jealous nag to courageous assassin. Puccini knew drama. E Lucevan le Stelle is one of my favorite arias because it is so emotional without devolving into silly sentimentality.

Follow Teinosuke's advice about Un Ballo in Maschera. I would love nothing better than actually seeing an opera in the setting it took place. I dream of having the awesome experience of visiting Sant'Andrea de LaValle in Rome despite it being sans opera.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 07:301 edit
    Remember the Tosca they set in Rome in 1992, televised worldwide? I'd seen it several times in Australian theatres, but that one was quite an experience. My late husband and I were Bayreuth pilgrims in 1985 so we weren't new to opera, but quite a few of our friends were drawn in by the Rome Tosca.

{In case anyone's confused here, my "novice" is my current husband, and he's been getting slowly introduced to my musical tastes over recent years.}
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 07:52
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Remember the Tosca they set in Rome in 1992, televised worldwide? I'd seen it several times in Australian theatres, but that one was quite an experience. My late husband and I were Bayreuth pilgrims in 1985 so we weren't new to opera, but quite a few of our friends were drawn in by the Rome Tosca.

{In case anyone's confused here, my "novice" is my curr ...[text shortened]... husband, and he's been getting slowly introduced to my musical tastes over recent years.}
    I saw that amazing performance and it was sent, I think, at the exact places and times - with Placido Domingo as Mario Cavaradossi: it was fantastic!
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 08:31
    I saw that amazing performance and it was sent, I think, at the exact places and times - with Placido Domingo as Mario Cavaradossi: it was fantastic!
    This is the one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105625/

Trivia
    This production was originally broadcast live in three parts - each part corresponding to each act, each act performed and broadcast from the actual building in which that act takes place in the plot, and at the exact time of day the action in the particular act occurs. None of it was filmed on sets especially built for the production. To accomplish this unheard-of feat, the singers were outfitted with tiny, nearly invisible radio transmitters plugged in their ears, which enabled them to hear the orchestra playing the accompaniments in the studio as the singers actually sang live in their respective locations.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 12:34
    This is the one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105625/

Trivia
    This production was originally broadcast live in three parts - each part corresponding to each act, each act performed and broadcast from the actual building in which that act takes place in the plot, and at the exact time of day the action in the particular act occurs. None of it was filmed ...[text shortened]... he accompaniments in the studio as the singers actually sang live in their respective locations.
    I've seen this and it is pretty wonderful. The locations are three in this opera. Sant'Andrea de LaValle, Palazzo Farnese and Castel Sant'Angelo. All three are impressive and beautiful. No one could not like such a setting. The story of course is sweet and brutal all in one, intriguingly scored, full of gorgeous melody, dramatic orchestration and incredible subtlety in both the libretto and the music. "Recondita armonia" certainly gave a glimpse into the greatness to follow in later acts. What other aria screams Italy as loudly without being trite and tiresome. Great as Verdi was, some of his most popular numbers are somewhat "common" and lacking in depth. If I hear "La donna e mobile" I cringe, because it makes people think of opera as goofy. Puccini blended the Verdi and Wagner ideals into a completely different sounding operatic landscape.
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 13:55
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I've seen this and it is pretty wonderful. The locations are three in this opera. Sant'Andrea de LaValle, Palazzo Farnese and Castel Sant'Angelo. All three are impressive and beautiful. No one could not like such a setting. The story of course is sweet and brutal all in one, intriguingly scored, full of gorgeous melody, dramatic orchestration and incred ...[text shortened]... ed the Verdi and Wagner ideals into a completely different sounding operatic landscape.
    I have never really liked Verdi much - his music doesn't move my emotions.
    Except for his Requiem of course which is absolutely wonderful!
  7. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 14:15
    I know what you mean and you express it rather well. Do not sell yourself short on English. Better than most Yanks'! The fact is that no other music genre is so tied to the emotions/drama/foibles/heroics of any given character. Unlike other art forms few opera characters are over-idealized although some are overwrought. Curiously, since you mention Tosc ...[text shortened]... he awesome experience of visiting Sant'Andrea de LaValle in Rome despite it being sans opera.
    Sorry, I didn't notice your response here, thank you.
    You're right about Tosca - although they had a love affair, it was a bit complicated by her jealousy. And then when she sacrificed everything in trying to save him, he really saw who she was and what she had done for him. It is so very touching, with the music and all.
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 15:33
    One of the greatest requiems for me is Faure's.

It is what we almost 'expect' to hear, but is unique in delivery of what we 'want' to hear - it meets all expectations......

Of all, it's worldwidely recognised, so much that here's a Japanese version!!!!

YouTube&feature=related

-m. (Enjoy!)
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 20:38
    Absolutely! Die Zauberflote is a wondrous work of art. If it brings in the fankids to opera fold then so be it!
    Pelleas and Melisande (Debussy) - what am I missing?
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 22:02
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Pelleas and Melisande (Debussy) - what am I missing?
    Wonderful opera, not digestible for newbies. Debussy in general is harder than most other mainstream composers outside the atonal bunch.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 22:05
    Originally posted by mikelom
    One of the greatest requiems for me is Faure's.

It is what we almost 'expect' to hear, but is unique in delivery of what we 'want' to hear - it meets all expectations......

Of all, it's worldwidely recognised, so much that here's a Japanese version!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2VDnq9X0Kc&feature=related

-m. (Enjoy!)
    Unquestionably the greatest requiem ever written and most definitely the anti-Verdi requiem. Faure detested the Verdi piece and in great measure wrote his in response to such detestation. I'll take a peek at the Japanese version of the Faure later.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 22:09
    I have never really liked Verdi much - his music doesn't move my emotions.
    Except for his Requiem of course which is absolutely wonderful!
    Even the marvelous Otello? You are missing out on a great piece of music if you skip Verdi's masterwork! I love the Verdi Requiem very much. I also like his Pezzi Sacri, especially his Laude alla Vergine. Brahms' magnificent German Requiem is also a unique piece of music! Ever listened to Antonio Caldara's Stabat Mater? it will wow you and leave wanting more! Little known contemporary of Bach and well ahead of his time.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 10:271 edit
    Unquestionably the greatest requiem ever written and most definitely the anti-Verdi requiem. Faure detested the Verdi piece and in great measure wrote his in response to such detestation. I'll take a peek at the Japanese version of the Faure later.
    Of course, I do believe the best rendition of Faure's I have heard is by King's College, Cambridge. It was perfection, in delivery.

-m. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Edit: a taster... : YouTube ... ๐Ÿ™‚
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 17:27
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Of course, I do believe the best rendition of Faure's I have heard is by King's College, Cambridge. It was perfection, in delivery.

-m. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Edit: a taster... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT5Lws5QTgk ... ๐Ÿ™‚
    Indeed a wonderful version. I love Faure in general, but none of his other works approximates the greatness of his requiem. Without question it is more devotional than Verdi's and more pensive as well. I have had a good deal of deaths close to either myself or spouse or kids. Listening to Faure brings me great comfort. Other choral music right up there: Haydn's Creation and The Seasons, Mendelssohn's Elijah, Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, Bach's Mass in B Minor. Also Allegri's Miserere.
  15. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 19:58
    Indeed a wonderful version. I love Faure in general, but none of his other works approximates the greatness of his requiem. Without question it is more devotional than Verdi's and more pensive as well. I have had a good deal of deaths close to either myself or spouse or kids. Listening to Faure brings me great comfort. Other choral music right up there: ...[text shortened]... ohn's Elijah, Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, Bach's Mass in B Minor. Also Allegri's Miserere.
    Thank you for your enthusiasm and your recommendations!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree