1. Illinois
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 07:12
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Pink Floyd was done when Roger Waters left*. Roger had the integrity to start a solo career. David Gilmour did not. Knowing that David Gilmour solo albums would not sell, he continued masquerading under the Pink Floyd name. Momentary Lapse of Reason and the rest are nothing but glorified David Gilmour projects. They are not Pink Floyd, regardless of ...[text shortened]... funct after The Wall. The Final Cut was a Roger Waters solo album in all but name.
    Pink Floyd was done when Roger Waters left.

Nay, Pink Floyd was done when Syd Barrett left.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 07:31
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]Pink Floyd was done when Roger Waters left.

Nay, Pink Floyd was done when Syd Barrett left.[/b]
    So was Syd, come to think of it.

'Vegetable man, where aaaaaaaare you ... ?'
  3. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 08:11
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    So was Syd, come to think of it.

'Vegetable man, where aaaaaaaare you ... ?'
    Sid took the ultimate trip a few years ago.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 12:25
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]Pink Floyd was done when Roger Waters left.

Nay, Pink Floyd was done when Syd Barrett left.[/b]
    Pink Floyd had barely gotten started when Syd left. If they had disbanded at that time they would have been almost completely forgotten. Their fame and financial success came primarily during the post Barrett years. Gilmour's shameless clinging to the Pink Floyd name was an attempt to keep milking that cow for all it was worth. Experience had shown him that David Gilmour solo albums don't sell, while he could put out any old thing under the Pink Floyd name and people would buy it up. Waters, despite his personal flaws, at least had the integrity to embark upon a solo career.

Plus, it should not be forgotten that Waters was an original member of the band. Gilmour, on the other hand, was brought in as a replacement for Barrett. The person with the least claim to the Pink Floyd name, therefore, is Gilmour.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 15:43
    Pink Floyd had barely gotten started when Syd left. If they had disbanded at that time they would have been almost completely forgotten. Their fame and financial success came primarily during the post Barrett years. Gilmour's shameless clinging to the Pink Floyd name was an attempt to keep milking that cow for all it was worth. Experience had shown him that ...[text shortened]... nt for Barrett. The person with the least claim to the Pink Floyd name, therefore, is Gilmour.
    I hear what you are saying but Gilmour was actually brought in while Barrett was still there.

The original band line up was:

Syd Barrett - Guitars / Vocals
    Roger Waters - Bass / Vocals
    Nick Mason - Drums / Percussion
    Richard Wright - Keyboards

This was Pink Floyd between 1965-1968. In 1968 David Gilmour joined the band because of Syd's erratic behavior and drug use. This was the only time that Pink Floyd had 5 members. Later in 1968 the band decided that it was time for Syd to leave and that David Gilmour was to be his permenant replacment.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 16:24
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I hear what you are saying but Gilmour was actually brought in while Barrett was still there.

The original band line up was:

Syd Barrett - Guitars / Vocals
    Roger Waters - Bass / Vocals
    Nick Mason - Drums / Percussion
    Richard Wright - Keyboards

This was Pink Floyd between 1965-1968. In 1968 David Gilmour joined the band because of Syd's err ...[text shortened]... ed that it was time for Syd to leave and that David Gilmour was to be his permenant replacment.
    That their tenure slightly overlapped changes nothing. Gilmour was Barrett's replacement.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '10 22:21
    Animals (especially Sheep) followed closely by WYWH.

Syd era was to far out for me. Post Waters was sterile but yes, listenable.

*Trivia: I caddied for Waters vs. James Hunt at Sunningdale many moons ago.
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 00:26
    Speculation, of course, but I really doubt that Floyd would have reached near the stature and respect if it continued to feature Sid and his songs if he had remained well.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 14:02
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Speculation, of course, but I really doubt that Floyd would have reached near the stature and respect if it continued to feature Sid and his songs if he had remained well.
    That's an interesting question. 'Arnold Lane' and 'See Emily Play' were minor hits when Syd was around and it seemed like they might be heading places before he imploded. A lot of his work on his two solo albums show that he could write catchy pop songs. It is my guess that they would have gone on to be a mildly successful group, but perhaps not as much as they did without him. But one can never know for sure.
  10. à keke part
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 11:21
    Originally posted by expuddlepirate
    How many on here are Pink Floyd fans and what is your favorite work by them?
    i'll say The Final Cut.,...most underated album,,,,
  11. Illinois
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 01:562 edits
    Pink Floyd had barely gotten started when Syd left. If they had disbanded at that time they would have been almost completely forgotten. Their fame and financial success came primarily during the post Barrett years. Gilmour's shameless clinging to the Pink Floyd name was an attempt to keep milking that cow for all it was worth. Experience had shown him that nt for Barrett. The person with the least claim to the Pink Floyd name, therefore, is Gilmour.
    Pink Floyd had barely gotten started when Syd left. If they had disbanded at that time they would have been almost completely forgotten.

I'm just sayin', Syd came up with the band's name and was the primary songwriter until his LSD induced schizophrenia kicked in. It is therefore more accurate to say that Pink Floyd, in its original form, ceased to exist the moment Syd left. There is a reason why they didn't come up with a new band name, because it was Syd's songwriting which put them on the map in the first place.

Gilmour's shameless clinging to the Pink Floyd name was an attempt to keep milking that cow for all it was worth.

It was no different what Roger and Co. did to Syd. Just because one guy goes insane or doesn't want to play anymore doesn't mean everyone should have to stop. That was the band's rationale in each case, and I think it is a legitimate point.

Waters, despite his personal flaws, at least had the integrity to embark upon a solo career.

If you remember, Roger Waters was also guilty of using Pink Floyd as a front for his own solo career. Animals, The Wall, and the Final Cut were basically Roger Waters solo albums. Benefiting from Gilmour's magic guitar, of course.

Plus, it should not be forgotten that Waters was an original member of the band. Gilmour, on the other hand, was brought in as a replacement for Barrett. The person with the least claim to the Pink Floyd name, therefore, is Gilmour.

It wasn't like Gilmour was some schmo off the street. He was best friends with Syd Barrett. Also, for a short period of time Pink Floyd was a five person unit: Nick Mason, Richard Wright, Syd Barrett, Roger Water and David Gilmour.
  12. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 02:23
    The DVD "Pink Floyed: the Making of Darkside of the Moon" shows how much input the other band members had on the album. I was suprised at how much work they did with scoring the album's music.
  13. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 08:57
    I have yet to get my hands on it, but The Flaming Lips (along with some others including Peaches and Henry rollins) recently releases a cover of the entire Dark Side of the Moon album. I should think that, if you enjoyted the noodlesome jam-session that was last year's Embryonic, you might find this to your taste. Although, since I haven't yet heard this new one, that's just a guess...

(As a piece of trivia, The Flaming Lips, when on tour with the majestic Jesus and Mary Chain, used to incite the crowds to near violence by covering 'Wish You Were Here' - that sort of hippy nonsense being anathema to JAMC fans...)
  14. Illinois
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 20:53
    Originally posted by DrKF
    I have yet to get my hands on it, but The Flaming Lips (along with some others including Peaches and Henry rollins) recently releases a cover of the entire Dark Side of the Moon album. I should think that, if you enjoyted the noodlesome jam-session that was last year's Embryonic, you might find this to your taste. Although, since I haven't yet hea ...[text shortened]... covering 'Wish You Were Here' - that sort of hippy nonsense being anathema to JAMC fans...)
    I can't stand JAMC fans. Mazzy Starr opened for JAMC one night in Denver, and she got through three songs before she was heckled off the stage. I was there to see Mazzy, so I was pissed.

Anyway...
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 01:34
    North Texas Pink Floyd fans. Wednesday March 3rd, the DSO and some PF tribute band are having an evening of PF with full orchestra. Sounds pretty cool!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree