big in the mix
    like invasive radio.

Echoing slide. It’s paranoia synthesised –
    their moon trip – dark side in reverse.
    Barrett’s still running through a corridor

As undertow, a brain damaged psycho.
    The music road maps inner space.
    It’s like a river knocking at the door.

Jeremy Reed, ‘Brain Damage: a short history of the Pink Floyd’, West End Survival Kit.

It’s out there somewhere, while the London rain

slashes the light-polluted scuzz,
    wacks down fried leaves, keeps me inside
    this rainy, orange October day,
    retrieving the Floyd’s mission to locate
    the alien in the psychopath.
    Outside my window a wet jay

jabs at a red berry gash.
    I go out on their dimension,
    beamed by the music’s escalating curve,
    back to my youth and Apollo
    cargoing human hardware to the moon –

their weighted boots grating on dust,
    Pink Floyd the terrestrial soundtrack
    to space conquest, a white plateau
    opening out to three astronauts
    learning by hesitant degrees to trust.

Jeremy Reed, ‘Wish You Were Here’, West End Survival Kit.

Excerpted from:
    http://www.ballardian.com/review-jeremy-reeds-west-end-survival-kit
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 06:06
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Pink Floyd had barely gotten started when Syd left. If they had disbanded at that time they would have been almost completely forgotten. Their fame and financial success came primarily during the post Barrett years. Gilmour's shameless clinging to the Pink Floyd name was an attempt to keep milking that cow for all it was worth. Experience had shown him that ...[text shortened]... nt for Barrett. The person with the least claim to the Pink Floyd name, therefore, is Gilmour.
    I am a big Floyd fan and have read much about them and tend to agree with rw. As much-praised as Piper at the Gates of Dawn was (by Rolling Stone magazine), the psychedelic era Floyd just didn't have the staying power had Syd not stepped into that bar in Spain and only come ot with half of his brain cells in tact. By moving toward progrtessive (or whatever yterm is approriate these days), tyhey made the smartest move possible. Saucerful of Secrets had a couple of good hooks, but it was Meddle that put them on the map.
    In a non-commercial vein, I think they were the BEST at soundtracks. My favorite sopng is "Wots, Uh...the Deal?" from Obscured by Clouds. Second would be the outtake "Country Song" from Zabriskie Point. My favorite album is the More soundtrack. And I would be hard-pressed to pick a better single side of vinyl than the one containing Waters' "If", Wright's "Summer of '68" and Gilmour's "Fat Old Sun". (Echoes would be a close second there. Some songs that rarely get airplay that should include "Embryo", Grantchester Meadows", and "Not Now John." My tastes obviously tend to the "pastoral" tunes, and I do believe Waters was the superior lyricist, but the Rick and Dave could and did write some great songs as well. My favorite solo work would have to be Amused to Death and Mihalis, and The Body soundtrack had it's moments. Finally, of the dinosuar period, once they became platinum monsters, Dark Side, and The Wall were masterworks. I was less than taken with Animals and Final Cut. Wish You Were Here, the title cut and Have A Cigar were terrific, but the rest were lesser lights. As for Momentary Lapse, Division Bell, and the live stuff, only One Slip stands out for me. And that little indy film from Australia--the Committee, where Floyd supplied some musical backing, was an oddity but not something I'd put on a greatest hits album. Anmd so, the definitive top 10 Floyd songs are.....opening the envelpo}...
    What's Uh...The Deal?
    Country Song
    Cirrus Minor
    Echoes
    Wish You Were Here
    Cymbaline
    Grantchester Meadows
    Embryo
    A Pillow of Winds
    If
  3. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    09 Feb '10 08:53
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I am a big Floyd fan and have read much about them and tend to agree with rw. As much-praised as Piper at the Gates of Dawn was (by Rolling Stone magazine), the psychedelic era Floyd just didn't have the staying power had Syd not stepped into that bar in Spain and only come ot with half of his brain cells in tact. By moving toward progrtessive (or whatev ...[text shortened]... re Here
    Cymbaline
    Grantchester Meadows
    Embryo
    A Pillow of Winds
    If
    I have to put my vote in for 'Time'.
  4. Lawrence, Ks
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 00:48
    No doubt! The Wall, of course. Must admit, the maggot scene from the video really disturbed me for a while. Granted that was back when it first aired on mtv and I was a little kid. 😲
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 16:50
    Originally posted by expuddlepirate
    I have to put my vote in for 'Time'.
    Time is indeed a great song. For some reason, the intro is the only part I don't like (maybe in my old age, the peace-shattering sound of dozens of clocks chiming at once disturbs me πŸ™‚ ), but the music and especially the lyrics are some of the best. "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" has always been one of my favorite of all their lyrics.
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 16:57
    How many on here are Pink Floyd fans and what is your favorite work by them?
    The soundtrack for the film "More" is my favorite studio album by Pink Floyd. I like all of their stuff, and of course DSotM and The Wall were great and get most of the glory. But I find I'm more drawn (in my old age) to their more obscure stuff: UmmaGumma, songs from Zabriskie Point and La Vallee, pretty much anything between the departure of Syd's whimsical psychedelia and Meddle. The "space rock" they improvised at the BBC as the Apollo module landed on the moon in 1969 was sublime. Mellow, thy name is Floyd. πŸ˜‰
  7. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    14 Feb '10 01:21
    Time is indeed a great song. For some reason, the intro is the only part I don't like (maybe in my old age, the peace-shattering sound of dozens of clocks chiming at once disturbs me πŸ™‚ ), but the music and especially the lyrics are some of the best. "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" has always been one of my favorite of all their lyrics.
    Have you ever seen or heard of "Dark Side of Oz" ?
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    20 Feb '10 04:05
    Have you ever seen or heard of "Dark Side of Oz" ?
    I've never seen a documentary studying the supposed link betweek DSotM and the movie "The Wizard of Oz", but along with thousands of others of my generation, I've watched Oz with the volume barely audible (and even muted once) while playing the album to look for any links, real or imagined. It didn't impress me. If Floyd were really trying to make their opus coincide to the most dramatic points in Wizard of Oz, I think they missed by a mile.
    Now, as for backward masking---now that is NOT bogus! πŸ˜‰
  9. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    20 Feb '10 09:26
    I've never seen a documentary studying the supposed link betweek DSotM and the movie "The Wizard of Oz", but along with thousands of others of my generation, I've watched Oz with the volume barely audible (and even muted once) while playing the album to look for any links, real or imagined. It didn't impress me. If Floyd were really trying to make their ...[text shortened]... think they missed by a mile.
    Now, as for backward masking---now that is NOT bogus! πŸ˜‰
    I remember reading that PF and Kubrick did work on a sync between one of the albums and 2001: A Space Oddessy. But again that may be an urban legend.
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 06:121 edit
    I am a big Floyd fan and have read much about them and tend to agree with rw. As much-praised as Piper at the Gates of Dawn was (by Rolling Stone magazine), the psychedelic era Floyd just didn't have the staying power had Syd not stepped into that bar in Spain and only come ot with half of his brain cells in tact. By moving toward progrtessive (or whatev re Here
    Cymbaline
    Grantchester Meadows
    Embryo
    A Pillow of Winds
    If
    Definitive top 10 PF songs, IMO, no particular order:

Astronomy Domine
    Fearless
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    Echoes
    Money
    Time
    Wish You Were Here
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Comfortably Numb
    Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2
  11. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 07:05
    Originally posted by epiphinehas

Astronomy Domine
    Fearless
    Echoes
    Money
    Time
    Wish You Were Here
    Comfortably Numb
    VERY good picks.
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 Feb '10 22:13
    I remember reading that PF and Kubrick did work on a sync between one of the albums and 2001: A Space Oddessy. But again that may be an urban legend.
    Kubrick asked for the right to use PF music in 2001, but was denied. Some documents claim that Roger Waters always regretted this, as all members of the band were big fans of A C Clarke, and I know that later, Clarke hosted a documentary on Fractals, for which Floyd did the soundtrack.
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 Feb '10 22:15
    Originally posted by epiphinehas

Astronomy Domine
    Fearless
    Echoes
    Money
    Time
    Wish You Were Here
    Comfortably Numb
    agreed---excellent picks. Fearless often gets short shrift, but is a fine song.
  14. Illinois
    Moves
    26 Feb '10 04:20
    agreed---excellent picks. Fearless often gets short shrift, but is a fine song.
    Mind you, I don't think these are necessarily the most interesting Floyd songs, just the most definitive, IMO. I like your list; there are many brilliant yet obscure selections I am more fond of than what I would consider "definitively Floyd".
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 15:17
    Read that Roger Waters is going to tour performing "The Wall" this year.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree