RHP Prose 2009 VOTING THREAD

RHP Prose 2009 VOTING THREAD

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
08 May 09

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
I've already voted. Thought I'd join in with some thoughts on some of the works.

[b]Bits and Pieces 9/10

Although the end was telegraphed, I really enjoyed the imagery and emotions that the story evoked

Percival the Sandwich 8/10
Vividly told. I was also hoping for some kind of evil twist at the end...

The Hungry Hand of God 8 ...[text shortened]... A lot of effort to went into writing this. An Interesting exercise but a tortuous result.
You echo many of my feelings, but, I think dealer's choice has potential as a preable to a larger work.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 May 09

1) Percival, the Sandwich

2) Entertaining St. Jude

3) Slime

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
08 May 09

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
You echo many of my feelings, but, I think dealer's choice has potential as a preable to a larger work.
But are you judging what has actually been written, or are you judging some imagined future work?

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
08 May 09

But are you judging what has actually been written, or are you judging some imagined future work?
I believe he generally lives in some fantasy future.

S

Moves
08 May 09

1) Midnight Special
2) Return Journey
3) Entertaining St Jude

Special mention to Edgar's, I would have put this in, but the massive word count meant that the writer was not so constrained and could afford to be more elaborate and less concise. I felt this was an unfair advantage and so have chosen not to rate it against the others.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman

3) Entertaining St Jude
I'm curious as to the attraction of this piece. It was one I responded to least.

It's generally fascinating to read other people's opinions on these bits of writing.

N

The sky

Moves
08 May 09

I am not ready to vote yet, but here are some thoughts about "An affair: Present and Future": Does L. whistle inside the keeper? How will the exposure hope without L.? A composite soil laughs. A public counts beside an analogy.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I'm curious as to the attraction of this piece. It was one I responded to least.

It's generally fascinating to read other people's opinions on these bits of writing.
I was attracted to it on several levels. I like the narrative point of view. I also resonated with the universal truth it conveys that none of us leave life unscathed and that all love ends in pain. He begins with his problem of drinking and we find out where it comes from.

S

Moves
08 May 09

If I'm completely honest I had a very hard time choosing the third place one. For me the gap between second and third was immense, and in the end I chose it because it was concise, honest and well structured. Some of the other pieces were too jackanory or 'oooh a twist' with less regard to the writing style, or at least that's how I felt about them.

I could be more critical, but I'll wait out the voting, I wouldn't want to sway anyone's decision.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 May 09

Originally posted by Starrman

I could be more critical, but I'll wait out the voting, I wouldn't want to sway anyone's decision.
Good idea.

Is 'jackanory' from the children's program or is it a word that has escaped me? I'd like to be able to use it.

M

Moves
08 May 09

1. Metal Detecting Dad’s Head

2. Unleashed

3. Two Letter Lipo ram

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
08 May 09

Agreed. The diversity of views is also reflected in the voting, with points being quite evenly distributed across many of the entries.

z
Thread Killing Chimp

In your retina!:D

Moves
08 May 09

1) Entertaining Saint Jude
2) Bits and pieces (the end was to happy imo:p)
3) Two Letter Lipo_ram

S

Moves
09 May 09

Good idea.

Is 'jackanory' from the children's program or is it a word that has escaped me? I'd like to be able to use it.
Yeah, I'm intending something like the intro to the program as a metaphor: 'Now if you're all sitting comfortably, children, I'll begin.'

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
10 May 09

I liked what I read. It provided a good visual for me. Liked the idea of seeing the scene filmed in black and white.