1. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 15:58
    When I'm not listening to trashy, hard rock, PP&M were always one of my favorite groups. It's too bad I was not old enough to see them in the 60's but I did see them a few times after they re-formed again.

Only the Beatles and Peter, Paul, and Mary can immediately bring me back to the mid-60's - a child growing up in Los Angeles.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 04:01
    Originally posted by Badwater
    When I'm not listening to trashy, hard rock, PP&M were always one of my favorite groups. It's too bad I was not old enough to see them in the 60's but I did see them a few times after they re-formed again.

Only the Beatles and Peter, Paul, and Mary can immediately bring me back to the mid-60's - a child growing up in Los Angeles.
    Indeed with every pop icon that passes away our childhoods seem so much more distant. A truly happy musical era PP&M lived and thrived in. Great, sweet music. Never saw them live, but always enjoyed their music. May she rest in peace.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 04:12
    Another death---2009 is doing a LOT of reaping, is it not? Or does it just seem that way?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 19:21
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Another death---2009 is doing a LOT of reaping, is it not? Or does it just seem that way?
    I don't know your age group, but me, being a child of the sixties, feel all these deaths so much more because it reminds me of my own impending doom. Not that I am close to it or anything, but it makes me feel old when my childhood idols die, their children become stars and in some cases grandchildren. If it's artists one loves it is even more crushing and melancholy. That applies to public figures of all kinds. But indeed you're right. Seems like 2009 has ushered in the reaper and the reaper won't got until leaving us idol-less.
  5. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 05:111 edit
    Badwater, you bring up an interesting point. What music always takes you back to the 60's.

For me, the Beatles, have transcended that decade. Maybe I've heard too much of them over the years. So I'm trying to think of music that really takes me back to no other part of my life and identifies only 60's to me.

So far: Paul Revere and the Raiders, Strawberry Alarm Clock, the Hollies, the Youngbloods, The Amboy Dukes, Savoy Brown, Mamas & Papas, Lovin' Spoonful, Moby Grape, the Animals and my favorite....the Yardbirds!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 13:50
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    Badwater, you bring up an interesting point. What music always takes you back to the 60's.

For me, the Beatles, have transcended that decade. Maybe I've heard too much of them over the years. So I'm trying to think of music that really takes me back to no other part of my life and identifies only 60's to me.

So far: Paul Revere and the Raiders, ...[text shortened]... , Mamas & Papas, Lovin' Spoonful, Moby Grape, the Animals and my favorite....the Yardbirds!
    Ten Years After, The Supremes, Four Tops, Otis Redding, Lovin Spoonful, The Association, Gary US Bonds, Dusty Springfield, the list could go on and on. The sixties may have been the greatest ever in pop!
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 18:456 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Ten Years After, The Supremes, Four Tops, Otis Redding, Lovin Spoonful, The Association, Gary US Bonds, Dusty Springfield, the list could go on and on. The sixties may have been the greatest ever in pop!
    For me, the Weavers, PP&M, Bud and Travis, Doc Watson, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Richard and Mimi Farina(Mimi was Joan Baez's sister, Richard got killed in a motorcycle accident and Mimi died of cancer, RIP), Jean Ritchie, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham, John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Gibson and Camp, Lonnie Johnson, Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Backwards Sam Firk, Stan Rogers, Ian and Sylvia, Josh White, Josh White Jr, Etta Baker, Tom Sauber, Tommy Jerral, Doc Boggs, the Chad Mitchel trio, Sam Hinton, Hedy West, Arlo Guthrie, Woodie Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Mike Seeger and the Lost City Ramblers(Also RIP, he just died), Peggy Seeger, Penny Seeger, Ralph Mctell(Streets of London) Malvena Reynolds (Little houses made of ticky tacky) RIP, the Limeliters, two of them are dead, only Alex hassilev is alive, Glenn Yarbrough and Lou Gottlieb, RIP. These are just some that come off the top of my head, there are many more who made up folk music in the sixties that I for sure listened to.

Of the commercial folk singers of the sixties, I thought Mary Travers to sound the most sincere in her songs. But there was Joni, Joan and Judy who sounded pretty sincere also, for instance, listen to Anathea by Judy Collins if you want a chilling rendition of that song.
    Mary Travers, RIP indeed.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '09 02:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    For me, the Weavers, PP&M, Bud and Travis, Doc Watson, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Richard and Mimi Farina(Mimi was Joan Baez's sister, Richard got killed in a motorcycle accident and Mimi died of cancer, RIP), Jean Ritchie, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham, John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Gibson and Camp, Lonnie Johnson, Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Backwards Sam Firk, St ...[text shortened]... thea by Judy Collins if you want a chilling rendition of that song.
    NO argument! WE do miss the sixties, don't we? The reaper has calmed down for now so hopefully we wil be spared any further passings of note!
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Oct '09 23:26
    For me, the Weavers, PP&M, Bud and Travis, Doc Watson, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Richard and Mimi Farina(Mimi was Joan Baez's sister, Richard got killed in a motorcycle accident and Mimi died of cancer, RIP), Jean Ritchie, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham, John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Gibson and Camp, Lonnie Johnson, Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Backwards Sam Firk, St ...[text shortened]... thea by Judy Collins if you want a chilling rendition of that song.
    I vote for Donovan.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '09 17:57
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I vote for Donovan.
    Yep, he is one of the great ones, I rattled off my list mainly in one go, just forgot him. There is also Guy Carawan, Michael Cooney, Gordon Bok, the Beers Family, also, just to name a few more that came to mind. Gordon Bok has a great basso-profundo voice, if I spelled that right🙂
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 18:32
    Yep, he is one of the great ones, I rattled off my list mainly in one go, just forgot him. There is also Guy Carawan, Michael Cooney, Gordon Bok, the Beers Family, also, just to name a few more that came to mind. Gordon Bok has a great basso-profundo voice, if I spelled that right🙂
    Basso profondo. Profundo is Spanish, profondo, Italian. Those artists you cite are all great artists of the era. I love Donovan as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree