1. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 14:271 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "Tommy the cat" by Primus.
    "Jambi" by Tool
    "Mountain song" by Janes Addiction.
    "Mercy Seat" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

But "Like a Rolling Stone" is a fine tune. Bob Dylan definately deserves the no.1 spot, by the sheer weight and influence of his work.
    But musical taste is pretty whimsical , so its probaly not worth too much time in thinking about...
    karoly, you must be a young person, as I've never heard on any of the 4 songs you named. 🙂 I HAVE heard of Janes Addiction and have had the unfortunate experience of listening to a few bars of "Stinkfist", which I think is by Tool (painful to listen to--made my eyelashes hurt). But since my parents thought the same of Grand Funk Railroad, Deep Purple, and T Rex, the world is still rockin and rollin along as it should.😀
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:41
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    karoly, you must be a young person, as I've never heard on any of the 4 songs you named. 🙂 I HAVE heard of Janes Addiction and have had the unfortunate experience of listening to a few bars of "Stinkfist", which I think is by Tool (painful to listen to--made my eyelashes hurt). But since my parents thought the same of Grand Funk Railroad, Deep Purple, and T Rex, the world is still rockin and rollin along as it should.😀
    35 years young.
    Y'know the music that most "displeased " me when I first listened to it, eventually became my favourite.

But by no means would I consider myself "young". I lost track about 15 years ago.🙂

Geez, I cant remember the last time I felt pain in my eyelashes-sounds painful...quick!!-touch wood🙂
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 16:50
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Quite true. Their "greatest" instrumentalists lists I've seen leave much to be desired. And Cobain? Puh--leeeze. There were better guitarists than him in his own band. And now that you mention it, do you remember who they picked as the best drummer of all time? If it wasn't Moon, then I remember why I lost respect for RS.
    cobain's playing many have been overrated, but still, the list isn't totally absurd, they still included a number of old blues players, as far as Im aware they had the likes of bb king and robert johnson at the top. Cobain had to be included as to not make the list totally alien to the taste of younger readers.

as for drummer, I haven't seen that list, but I'd say ginger baker should be at the top.
  4. Pepperland
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 16:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Is Terraplane the only piece of Rory's you have heard? She has a bunch of CD's out and that is just one example of her playing. Some of it is really incredible. So is Martin Simpson. Check him out also if you want to hear some great guitar. One of the best is his wife and other musicians on a CD called Angel Band. Awesome playing and singing.
    yes, Im not much of a blues listener, I've heard some stuff from the likes of robert johnson, muddy waters, and sonny boy williamson, but thats it. I encountered a video of rory playing terraplane blues, almost by accident, and that was the only thing I've heard from her.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 17:08
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    yes, Im not much of a blues listener, I've heard some stuff from the likes of robert johnson, muddy waters, and sonny boy williamson, but thats it. I encountered a video of rory playing terraplane blues, almost by accident, and that was the only thing I've heard from her.
    You should try Albert King's "Born Under a Bad Sign". Brilliant blues record, with a star supporting cast including Booker T. and the MG's and Isaac Hayes.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 17:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You should try Albert King's "Born Under a Bad Sign". Brilliant blues record, with a star supporting cast including Booker T. and the MG's and Isaac Hayes.
    I've heard the cream version of the song, but Im sure the albert king version will be just as good.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 22:01
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I've heard the cream version of the song, but Im sure the albert king version will be just as good.
    Albert King was Clapton's main influence.
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They say that Shaft was a bad mother...shut your mouth.,,
  9. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 10:49
    Originally posted by badmoon
    They say that Shaft was a bad mother...shut your mouth.,,
    Oh we can dig it. Have you heard Isaac Hayes' "Hot Buttered Soul"? It contains one of the funkiest soul songs ever written, "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic". Also a brilliant rendition of Burt Bacharach's "Walk on By".
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 22:15
    I don't remember Theme from Shaft ev en making the top 500 RS list--yet Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On was number 4! It's an abomination, I say! 🙄
  11. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 18:36
    If you know music; you would know that "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones is the greatest song ever written in the history of man!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree