1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 18:251 edit
    Sometimes songs are marred when mishearings are corrected. For instance, 'Yellow Rose of Justice' lost its importance for me on being corrected to 'Yellow Rose of Texas'. (I was about 8.)

Can you bear witness?
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 15:00
    It's happened to me many times - I just can't recall them right now. And when I listened to American and English music in my early teens, I probably didn't get much of the text at all - I just invented.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 07:46
    Growing up in the 1950s, we only had a limited radio choice, and our pocket money went on little books full of words to the popular tunes we heard. We usually got to read the words long before we were able to understand the lyrics from listening to the music. As a result, I've never actually tried to follow lyrics.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 23:26
    There's a boatload of misheard lyrics at:

http://www.kissthisguy.com

The site is called that from the classic misheard Jimi Hendrix lyric: "'scuse me, while I kiss this guy", instead of "'scuse me, while I kiss the sky"

People are welcome to leave their own stories of misheard lyrics and I've wasted many an hour laughing at some of these.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 00:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Sometimes songs are marred when mishearings are corrected. For instance, 'Yellow Rose of Justice' lost its importance for me on being corrected to 'Yellow Rose of Texas'. (I was about 8.)

Can you bear witness?
    Classic
    http://www.killsometime.com/videos/8697/O-Fortuna-Misheard-Lyrics
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 13:35
    Don't know if it's on the list but:

Beelzebub has a devil for a sideboard, me
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 13:492 edits
    Sorry to change tack slightly but one of the funniest things I did see was someone interpreting the lyrics to Squeeze's Up the Junction (great song).

Anyway the line is:

We spent the time just kissing
    The Railway Arms we're missing

Now the poster (who lived outside the UK) clearly had not seen the capital letters and posted a long analysis saying that she loved the imagery of railway arms, representing that the couple may be embracing, but their arms are unyielding like railway lines, underscoring that their relationship is not all it seems on the surface.

She got a bit of a shock when someone pointed out the Railway Arms was a pub and the speaker was a person with a drink problem.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 16:18
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Don't know if it's on the list but:

Beelzebub has a devil for a sideboard, me
    Yes ...
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Nov '12 15:26
    "My libido, a mosquito". Smells Like Teen Spirit
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '12 18:27
    My niece (who's the one who gave me my GreatBigStees name) sang , what she thought were the lyrics to Paul Young's cover of "Every Time You Go Away" as , "Every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you." I couldn't remember the name of the song so I googled the first five words and there it was. The first one that came up is listed below and to my surprise when he first sings the words it sounds like he's saying "meat". Who knew eh?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUKBuAkr4Lg
    My niece is now 27 yrs old.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '12 15:49
    In Paranoid by Black Sabbath I always heard "I tell you to end your life, I wish I could but it's too late"

In reality it's "I tell you to enjoy life, I wish I could but it's too late"

Also, met someone who thought Kiss' "Rock and roll all night" said "I want to rock and roll all night and part of every day." I kind of prefer it that way.. I think it makes the song a bit humorous.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Nov '12 10:02
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    In Paranoid by Black Sabbath I always heard "I tell you to end your life, I wish I could but it's too late"

In reality it's "I tell you to enjoy life, I wish I could but it's too late"

Also, met someone who thought Kiss' "Rock and roll all night" said "I want to rock and roll all night and part of every day." I kind of prefer it that way.. I think it makes the song a bit humorous.
    Ha. I heard: 'I tell you to end your life I wish that I could emulate.'
  13. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    17 Nov '12 21:32
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Ha. I heard: 'I tell you to end your life I wish that I could emulate.'
    This is my favorite:

YouTube

GRANNY.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 16:59
    Solitude stands by the doorway
    Once more I am struck by her black silhouette
    Her long cool stare and her sideburns
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 17:03
    Originally posted by smw6869
    This is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU

GRANNY.
    That's funny.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree