1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 10:595 edits
    Spotify is my new toy and I fully intend to bore you with my experiences of it until the novelty wears of.

For example, I simply love the music suggestions it has made for me based on what I have listened to so far. Here are a few:

You listened to Heinz Holliger. Here is a song you might like.

Indeed I did. I think he is one of the finest oboe players I have heard. I wonder what little treasure of his you have dug up. Maybe some of his compositions, perhaps, which I have never heard.

Suggestion : Serse, Act III, Scene XI, Recitativo with Anne Sofie von Otter

Well, I have to admire your precision here. But at a quick glance, I don’t think there is even an oboe in this track. Was Heinz sleeping with Anne Sofie?

****STOP PRESS****

I swear on my mother’s life this has just happened this second (see previous thread of mine). I was looking at one of the suggestions and it changed in front of my face.

You listened to Tomasino Albinoni this week

What did it suggest that I might like to listen to?.

Der Ring Des Nibelungen!

Blow me, the software must be sophisticated.

*****END STOP PRESS*****

You listened to Johann Sebastian Bach. Want to listen to Johann Strauss?

What, because they have the same first name? God forbid I listen to Englebert Humperdinck.

You haven’t listened to Concerto Grosso, Opus 3, No 2 in B flat major, Movt 2 – Largo for a while. Play it now?

Two things:

1 It’s not personal.

2 Mind your own business.

You listened to Bach Collegium Japan

Spot on again (excuse the pun). It was Bach’s Orchestral Suites. More suggestions of similar gratefully received.

Suggestion: Verdi’s Falstaff with the Berlin Philharmonic and Bryn Terfel.

Ahh.....
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 11:37
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Spotify is my new toy and I fully intend to bore you with my experiences of it until the novelty wears of.

For example, I simply love the music suggestions it has made for me based on what I have listened to so far. Here are a few:

[b]You listened to Heinz Holliger. Here is a song you might like.

Indeed I did. I think he is one of the f ...[text shortened]...

Suggestion: Verdi’s Falstaff with the Berlin Philharmonic and Bryn Terfel.

Ahh.....[/b]
    Too weird and interesting. Bach to Strauss? Johann instead of Richard? Albinoni to the Ring? I do believe you would thoroughly enjoy Englebert Humperdinck! The real one of Hansel und Gretel fame. Try Mozart's oboe quaret and see where spotify points you.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 11:53
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    [bTry Mozart's oboe quaret and see where spotify points you.[/b]
    One of the joys and problems of Spotify.

25 recordings of Mozart's Oboe Quartet.

Is there a recording you particularly rate?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 20:14
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    One of the joys and problems of Spotify.

25 recordings of Mozart's Oboe Quartet.

Is there a recording you particularly rate?
    All recordings I've ever heard are very competent. Therefore no clear favorite. My own recording of the work is by an ensemble picked from members of Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. While you're at it make sure to enjoy same ensemble's very competent Mozart Clarinet Quintet, a masterpiece of simplicity and quite possibly Mozart's greatest chamber piece.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 00:532 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    All recordings I've ever heard are very competent. Therefore no clear favorite. My own recording of the work is by an ensemble picked from members of Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. While you're at it make sure to enjoy same ensemble's very competent Mozart Clarinet Quintet, a masterpiece of simplicity and quite possibly Mozart's greatest chamber piece.
    Any idea of the data load listening to spotify uses? Even MP3 is something like a meg a minute and full CD is like 11 megs a minute.

My problem is I only get a half gig a month on my so-called smart phone. I would love to have the music I want to listen to, for instance, can you find dudes like Martin Simpson, Keb Mo, Rev. Gary davis, Judy Collins, Ralph McTell? Folk musicians?

My daily commute adds up to 2.5 hours minimum two ways, and I listen to XM/Sirius but the REALLY ticked me off first killing the folk channel, and to add insult to injury, just killed the book channel where they read stories and had new radio drama's like Sherlock Holmes and such. I think they were monitoring my XM usage and decided I was the channel killer and killed the only reason I got XM in the first place. And DUMB DUMB me, I got a lifetime subscription, a $500 dollar waste of time. Now all I find is BBC radio and 15 year old Car Talk shows and some nice interviews by Bob Edwards. And occasional forays to the comedy channels but it ain't the same. It sucks bigtime actually, ESPECIALLY considering the absolutely INSANE number of sports channels.

It really pointed out where their heads are at. So I am looking for alternatives. I made a flash drive of our family music which covered 25 years of our family onstage and in home recordings so I use that sometimes, and I am considering making a very long set of music on it, the flash drive added up to about 3 hours but you can listen to your own music only so long🙂 So I may put some really nice vinyl stuff on flash like early Doc Watson and Mississippi John Hurt and Eugene O'Donnell who made an outstanding piano and violin record of Irish airs with James McCafferty, a great irish pianist, absolutely first rate. The only problem for me is the amount of time I have to massage all my vinyls, I have over 2000 folk and classical records and they have to go onto the computer and flash drive one for one, one hour of music, one hour of futzing around with the system, for instance, using scratch and tic removers and such, making sure that A 440 is A 440 when played back. I HATE it when I record something that starts out at A 440 and plays back at A 430 or something. I started a project where I re-recorded country blues records with the idea that the musicians of the 1920's actually may have had their instruments more of less in tune, A 440 and so forth. It was quite a job but the result was a tape of stuff that you could play behind with your guitar and be in tune and it sounded great! Anyway going from Vinyl or reel to reel to a flash drive is a pain in the butt. CD's copy a lot faster, what 3 or 4 minutes for a 70 minute CD but the best stuff is not on CD's. Like my first real guitar teacher, Mike Stewart, AKA Backwards Sam Firk who recorded on Adelphi records in Washington DC (long story there) and other dudes who never made it to CD's.

The real music like that is just SO much more real and interesting than the pablum that passes for folk music these days. Martin Simpson is a great guitarist but his day is almost past now and the new players coming on line are specializing in that fingerboard tapping crap the just bores me to tears, nice sound effects but no actual music.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 14:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Any idea of the data load listening to spotify uses? Even MP3 is something like a meg a minute and full CD is like 11 megs a minute.

My problem is I only get a half gig a month on my so-called smart phone. I would love to have the music I want to listen to, for instance, can you find dudes like Martin Simpson, Keb Mo, Rev. Gary davis, Judy Collins, Ralp ...[text shortened]... gerboard tapping crap the just bores me to tears, nice sound effects but no actual music.
    You might enjoy the BBKing Bluesville channel on XM and the opera channel. I agree the rest is claptrap.
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '13 18:192 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse

My problem is I only get a half gig a month on my so-called smart phone. I would love to have the music I want to listen to, for instance, can you find dudes like Martin Simpson, Keb Mo, Rev. Gary davis, Judy Collins, Ralp ...[text shortened]... hat fingerboard tapping crap the just bores me to tears, nice sound effects but no actual music.
    Didn't know if you meant to address this to scacc or me, but here goes.

I looked up all of the musicians you mention in para 2 and there was loads on Spotify.

I have absolutely no idea what 'data load' means, but if this means anything, my spotify account says it streams in normal at 96kbits/s and 160 and 320 in high and extreme.

For £10 a month, you can download all of this for offline listening. The only problem is that, on extreme high quality (which all sounds a bit Wayne's World) it uses up a lot of memory (2.4 Mb per min).

Anyway, hope this is of some use.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree