1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 03:52
    Okay, I capitulated and went to see it. I know I'm going to offend some people, but here goes.

That was the best movie of the year????? Please. It was a semi-punishment sitting through that snooze-fest.

What was great about that movie?

What it the dialogue? What dialogue? The dialogue was completely uninspiring.

Was it suspense? No, we all knew how the "story" ended.

Was it the characters? The fake doctor was okay but are we supposed to sympathize with the protagonist who's little more than an overgrown petulant child? Stomping off in disgust every time someone doesn't play the way he wants them too? Come on.

The conversation in the park about how he could be "great" was particularly laughable. Great?? How was that guy great? Yes. He over came a speech defect to the point where he was able to do a passable job reading a paragraph. Congratulations. Just how much expectation deflation are we assigning when that passes for greatness? Did he win a war? Did he engineer some sort of governing or producing or intellectual coup? No. He read a paragraph... and got a standing ovation. The movie shows Churchill (terrible actor, BTW) and Chamberlain and the real movers and shakers of the era revering this overgrown child like some sort of Deity. Please. They probably laughed at him behind his back if the movie portrays anything like real life.

So, there was no dialogue to speak of, there was no compelling story the protagonist was not a compelling character and the climax, if it could even be called that, was flat and uninsipring.

I don't get how that could be considered the best movie of an afternoon, let alone a year.

I guess that one thing that could be said for the movie is that it captures and portrays the relevancy of the British monarchy to a T; i.e., that it doesn't exist.

The only worse movie I've been to in the last decade was when my wife dragged me to see Meet the Little Fockers; and at least in that one I simply played with my ipod rather than watching the crap on the screen most of the time. Here I kept hoping for it to get better and so I watched it.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 11:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 11:36
    What a bummer it is for Americans when they don't win the top Oscars. :'(
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 13:09
    Originally posted by sh76
    Okay, I capitulated and went to see it. I know I'm going to offend some people, but here goes.

That was the best movie of the year????? Please. It was a semi-punishment sitting through that snooze-fest.

What was great about that movie?

What it the dialogue? What dialogue? The dialogue was completely uninspiring.

Was it suspense? No, we all knew how ...[text shortened]... screen most of the time. Here I kept hoping for it to get better and so I watched it.
    Amen to all that! Critics lauded its bringing awareness to stammering being a problem!?! Guess before this sorry film we never knew some people stuttered. I'm with you. Crappy film, crappy story, crappy acting. Film won the Oscar because we needed a gay director. Guess it was their turn, regardless of quality. Mind you none of the other contenders were much better. It's the usual drivel passing off as art these days. Find a created victim group, write a screen play about it, have another created victim group direct, act or whatever and voila, oscar contender. Next year it will be a film about another invented victim group. Oscar voters seem to adore royalty in spite of its irrelevancy. Perhaps we need a film about royalty coming out of the closet, maybe in a wheelchair for added poignancy. Bingo! Contender!
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 15:312 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    What a bummer it is for Americans when they don't win the top Oscars. :'(
    This has nothing to to with US vs. UK. You may be skeptical of this, but I have no particular preference for US artistic products over UK products. They both produce some great stuff and they both produce stinkers. The Office was brilliant and I was enjoying those Yes, Minister shows you rec'ced to me until Netflix pulled them on me.

Believe me, it's not the first time I've disliked an Oscar winning movie. The only thing longer and more boring than Dances With Wolves was the Oscar night at which it won all its awards.
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 16:59
    I am considering going to see it.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 17:252 edits
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I am considering going to see it.
    Bring Ambein, ear plugs and an eye mask.

Then again, forget the ear plugs. The stupifying monotonous dialogue and the sappy sound track should put you to sleep.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 18:02
    This has nothing to to with US vs. UK. [...] Believe me, it's not the first time I've disliked an Oscar winning movie. The only thing longer and more boring than Dances With Wolves was the Oscar night at which it won all its awards.
    Well then you won't like the 3 hour Director's Cut one shot version of me pulling your leg, assuming it gets released and doesn't go straight to video.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '11 18:27

Then again, forget the ear plugs. The stupifying monotonous dialogue and the sappy sound track should put you to sleep.
    Good one. Same applies to most hollywood fare. I've begun sticking to the great movies of the past. The more old movies I watch the worse the current screewriting, directing, special effects seem! Most movies are quite impossible to sit through these days because of the Ambien effect. My local library has quite a collection of silent era films on dvd, some as old as late 19th cty. These are awesome indeed!
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 15:31

I enjoyed it a great deal. Acting was superb, it was both tense and funny, and I like the story.

Do you prefer action movies and low brow comedies better? I avoid those like the plague.

To each his own.
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 15:33
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Amen to all that! Critics lauded its bringing awareness to stammering being a problem!?! Guess before this sorry film we never knew some people stuttered. I'm with you. Crappy film, crappy story, crappy acting. Film won the Oscar because we needed a gay director. Guess it was their turn, regardless of quality. Mind you none of the other contenders were ...[text shortened]... royalty coming out of the closet, maybe in a wheelchair for added poignancy. Bingo! Contender!
    Go see the next GI Joe Joe or other toy product movie. If you're like SH and play with your cell phone during a movie then I don't want to share the same room as you.

Sorry that thinking hurts you so much.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 15:43
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Go see the next GI Joe Joe or other toy product movie. If you're like SH and play with your cell phone during a movie then I don't want to share the same room as you.

Sorry that thinking hurts you so much.
    Action movies not my cup of tea. Actually that is one of my greatest criticisms of hollyweird, gratuitous violence and nudity. Hollywood is all about pats on the back for their worldview to the exclsuion of all else. King's Speech is a silly example of movie making and only topped for stupidity by the English Patient. Perhaps my problem was watching this piece of feature length drivel after watching The Fountainhead. Ayn Rand herself wrote the screen play. Leaves today's movies in a cloud of creative dust they cannot even peek over! BTW, if I do go I turn off cell ph and shut up for I respect other viewers' right to enjoy what I may not enjoy, so if you think you're insulting me it falls on deaf ears of innocence of accused beahvior!
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 23:39
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Action movies not my cup of tea. Actually that is one of my greatest criticisms of hollyweird, gratuitous violence and nudity. Hollywood is all about pats on the back for their worldview to the exclsuion of all else. King's Speech is a silly example of movie making and only topped for stupidity by the English Patient. Perhaps my problem was watching thi ...[text shortened]... so if you think you're insulting me it falls on deaf ears of innocence of accused beahvior!
    I believe you've won me over. Wanna go to a flick?
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 00:21
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I believe you've won me over. Wanna go to a flick?
    You pick! What do you fancy watching?
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '11 10:56
    The Oscars are just a media stunt. What else is new?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree