1. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 08:26
    ^...you don't hear that often do you?

what movie have you seen which was better than the book; in your opinion?

though a clocwork orange was an excellent book, i think stanley kubrick did a masterful job making the movie. i think the movie was slightly better.
  2. Standard memberGoatboysrevenge
    Justice 4 the 96
    Airstrip One
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 13:17
    Originally posted by nihilismor

though a clocwork orange was an excellent book, i think stanley kubrick did a masterful job making the movie. i think the movie was slightly better.
    Blade Runner: Directors Cut, is better than 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep'.

But you're right, most of the time the book is better. I think it's because when you read a book, you visualise the characters and action in your own mind, which is always unique to each reader, and a film is the directors visual interpretation, which most of the time differs from yours, and is therefore a slight disappointment.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 14:38
    The Lord of the Rings!!!!

I recently read the short story the Shawshank redemption is based on and I can't imagine their been anybody out their that prefers the short story

When you absolutely love a book though it's very unusual for you to then see the film and prefer it...theirs always far, far more depth in a book, you get to know how the character feels in a book and a film adaptation always has to leave things out!
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 18:33

Forest Gump, Fried Green Tomatoes must confess my wife was the
    one that read them gave this assessment.
    KJ
  5. Joined
    25 Jun '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 22:57
    Godfather
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 23:30
    Originally posted by Jamesqt

I recently read the short story the Shawshank redemption is based on and I can't imagine their been anybody out their that prefers the short story

When you absolutely love a book though it's very unusual for you to then see the film and prefer it...theirs always far, far more depth in a book, you get to know how the character feels in a book and a film adaptation always has to leave things out!
    Nope and nope.
  7. Big D
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 19:30
    I thought "Fight Club" and "V For Vendetta," were better than their respective books.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 19:37
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    "V For Vendetta"
    Blasphemy!!!!
  9. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 20:15
    I would have mentioned 'The Shining' before 'Clockwork Orange' in this thread, but I agree, CW was very well done too.

Kubrick was brilliant.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 17:08
    Clockwork orange: certainly. I couldn't even get through the first 10 pages of the book. What a bloody nightmare.

Star Wars (although the book came later, the film was still better).

Lord of the rings? Dunno. This probably highlights the debate on the issue. Can you really compare two different mediums? What's better? The Mona Lisa (the painting) or Mona Lisa smiles (film with Julia Roberts)?

Shawshank redemption was at least as good as the book. The same with The Apt pupil (which was the second short story, released together with Shawshank).

I'd say... and I may get shot for this one... The name of the rose.
    One of the best books I've ever read, yet, at the same time, the film still strikes me as better. I was a lot younger when I saw the film though.

The Davinci code. The book was so bad, one couldn't help but enjoy the bloody film.
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 21:31
    Bridges of Madison County. The most famous and dramatic proof that a movie can be better than a book!
  12. The sky
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 23:43
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    This probably highlights the debate on the issue. Can you really compare two different mediums? What's better?
    Yes, I struggle with this as well. It's simple enough if you have a great book and a crap film or vice versa, but if both the book and the film are good in their own way, I can't really tell which one is better. My personal example for this is "Death in Venice".

With "The Lord of the Rings" it's very clear for me though. I am a big fan of the books, but didn't like the films at all (I didn't watch the third one because I disliked the first two so much).
  13. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:09
    Gone With The Wind.

Christine.

Most others that come to mind have already been mentioned.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 21:14
    Da Vinci Code and Jaws
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Nov '08 09:15
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    I have yet to see a good film made of The Lord of the Rings.

Yes, I've seen the films, and they're great fantasy films, but they're very poor adaptations of the book.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree