1. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:02
    Whose endowment to posterity would have been better served had they died earlier?

1. Michael Jackson - imagine if he had died in say, 1984, at the top of his game and before he disfigured himself.

2. Elvis - what if he had died in the fifties, as a dangerous rock'n'roll star, rather than in the seventies on the toilet as a pudgy Vegas entertainer?

3. The Rolling Stones - what if they had died (or at least disbanded) before they became wrinkly rock dinosaurs endlessly repeating themselves? Well, Brian Jones did, at least. And he got a band named after him: the Brian Jonestown Massacre.

4. Perhaps the same could be said of Pink Floyd, though Syd did have the decency to at least go bonkers.

5. The Beatles. Paul died in '68 of course, and was replaced by lookalike Billy Shears, who went on to smear Paul's reputation by forming Wings a couple of years later. But what if all four had carked it just after the breakup of the Beatles, or perhaps just before? John cranked out a few good post-Beatles tunes before his death, but he would have been even more revered, i think, had he died a decade earlier.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:18
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    Whose endowment to posterity would have been better served had they died earlier?

1. Michael Jackson - imagine if he had died in say, 1984, at the top of his game and before he disfigured himself.

2. Elvis - what if he had died in the fifties, as a dangerous rock'n'roll star, rather than in the seventies on the toilet as a pudgy Vegas entertainer?

...[text shortened]... his death, but he would have been even more revered, i think, had he died a decade earlier.
    Right on the money as always, Blackcamp! Amen, brother!
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:27
    Bullseye!

I agree on all counts... except for Pink Floyd; but hey, I'm all about nostalgia after all.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 13:38
    what about Jerry Garcia? Surely he would've been more legendary if he died younger.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 13:401 edit
    Perry Farrel would have been up there with Kurt Cobain if he had've died after 2 Janes Addiction albums.

So too would have Frank Black after Doolittle or Bosa Nova
  6. Germany
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 14:35
    Varg Vikernes.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 18:41
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Bullseye!

I agree on all counts... except for Pink Floyd; but hey, I'm all about nostalgia after all.
    A good time for a collective Pink Floyd exit would have been after touring The Wall for the first time.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 19:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    A good time for a collective Pink Floyd exit would have been after touring The Wall for the first time.
    D... d... do you mean The Wall tour is over?!?! 😲
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 00:30
    Originally posted by Seitse
    D... d... do you mean The Wall tour is over?!?! 😲
    Yep...So is the Greatful Dead (never-ending) tour
  10. England
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 13:321 edit
    M THATCHER before 79 unless this is only for rock stars
    T BLAIR before 97
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 22:06
    If only Dylan hadn't survived his motorcycle accident, we wouldn't have had to suffer through his evangelical stage and current incompetence. We would have been left with Blonde on Blonde, and all that came brilliantly before.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 07:55
    Originally posted by bbarr
    If only Dylan hadn't survived his motorcycle accident, we wouldn't have had to suffer through his evangelical stage and current incompetence. We would have been left with Blonde on Blonde, and all that came brilliantly before.
    Something similar happened to Wordsworth.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 09:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yep...So is the Greatful Dead (never-ending) tour
    The Grateful Dead stopped touring 14 years ago in 1995 when Garcia died. The remaining members plus a keyboardist and the guitarist Warren Haynes played 22 shows in the U.S. this last Spring - calling themselves The Dead - and they were very good - considerably better than the Grateful Dead were post 1990 (IMHO). As for Garcia's legendary/iconic status, there was no direct correlation with how well he (or the Grateful Dead) were playing. After the hit (studio) album in 1987, "In The Dark", his status was given a whole knew statistical gravity by a whole new generation of Deadheads that filled up stadia by the tens of thousands for the last 8 years of the band's touring life. In contrast to the rather saddening spectacle of the Grateful Dead's last 2 or 3 years of touring, Jerry Garcia recorded a heap of folkie/bluesgrassy music with mandolin player Dave Grisman and this amounts to a very high quality legacy from those years. This would have been lost if Garcia had died back in, say, 1977, when - along with the Grateful Dead - I reckon he was at his guitar playing peak.
  14. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:36
    Originally posted by Blackamp

...[text shortened]... his death, but he would have been even more revered, i think, had he died a decade earlier.
    Kinda off the subject, but can I nominate all the old farts out there who constantly complain about how new music is worse than whatever they perceive as the peak of their generation's contribution to music. And all those who rip on new music forms, claiming their cultural knowledge is superior and some how more pure. Yeah they did not die young enough.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree