1. Illinois
    Moves
    12 May '08 23:321 edit
    Originally posted by John1916
    Close this thread - games are not films, and never will be - why isn't there a thread asking what songs should be films, exactly, their two different forms of media entertainment.
    Actually, a thread asking what songs should be films would be quite interesting! 🙂

I'd offer, "The Partisan," or, "Sisters of Mercy," by Leonard Cohen. Perhaps even, "Lady Waters and the Hooded One," by Robyn Hitchcock...

BTW, this is not the Science forum. There are quite a bit fewer restrictions on content here, so take it easy.
  2. Club 64
    Moves
    13 May '08 02:09
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Actually, a thread asking what songs should be films would be quite interesting! 🙂

I'd offer, "The Partisan," or, "Sisters of Mercy," by Leonard Cohen. Perhaps even, "Lady Waters and the Hooded One," by Robyn Hitchcock...

BTW, this is not the Science forum. There are quite a bit fewer restrictions on content here, so take it easy.
    Sorry about that. I guess I got a little carried away there at the moment, besides this is only my second thread and I'm still new to the posting of threads.
  3. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    13 May '08 07:03
    Originally posted by redfender1
    Sorry about that. I guess I got a little carried away there at the moment, besides this is only my second thread and I'm still new to the posting of threads.
    No - its a good thread - I enjoy it. Just ignore John - if he doesn't agree with it he can stop reading.

There are plenty of games out there that rely on a serious plot to play and there is no reason why this can't be made into a movie.

Some games with plot lines that could make good movies ...
    Half Life
    Farcry
    Guildwars
    Sniper Elite
    GTA
    Medal of Honour
    Pirates of the Carribean

And the list goes on.

What I don't like is that every movie that seems to come out now has a game out soon after.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 May '08 07:26
    Which Video Games would you like to see on the Big Screen ...?
    None. And I won't. 😴
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 May '08 09:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 May '08 11:15
    Originally posted by Steinberg
    What about Max Payne/Max Payne 2
    They are heavily inspired by film noir, so I guess that's a bit cheating. I wouldn't mind seeing them, though. I love the genre.
  7. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    13 May '08 19:04
    Originally posted by RDM
    No - its a good thread - I enjoy it. Just ignore John - if he doesn't agree with it he can stop reading.

There are plenty of games out there that rely on a serious plot to play and there is no reason why this can't be made into a movie.

Some games with plot lines that could make good movies ...
    Half Life
    Farcry
    Guildwars
    Sniper Elite
    GTA
    Medal of Ho ...[text shortened]...
    What I don't like is that every movie that seems to come out now has a game out soon after.
    Yes - games have serious plots but the simple fact is - these plots are designed for the game, and any film made afterwards is simply a money spinner because the name has been made - I going to raise the question, name a game which has had a good movie tie-in. The same works in reverse, name a film that has a good game tie-in.

The simple matter of fact is that any developer that makes tie-ins is simply to lazy to create their own theme and simply tries to make money off someone else's ideas.

OK - GTA, is being made a movie say, what should the story line be, the exact same thing as the game? but what's the point of that,

Half Life is been made into a movie - what should the story line be?

Just look at the Lara Croft movies - why couldn't the have been released under their own name - why use Lara Croft - because Lara Croft sells, and movie makers don't need to work.

Wouldn't you much rather a new, innovative film, something different that sells well because of "its" storyline, rather than copying a previously used idea...
  8. Illinois
    Moves
    14 May '08 07:18
    Originally posted by John1916
    Yes - games have serious plots but the simple fact is - these plots are designed for the game, and any film made afterwards is simply a money spinner because the name has been made - I going to raise the question, name a game which has had a good movie tie-in. The same works in reverse, name a film that has a good game tie-in.

The simple matter of fac ...[text shortened]... that sells well because of "its" storyline, rather than copying a previously used idea...
    Sometimes it's just "way cool" to see a great idea on the silver screen, whether it's a great idea taken from a video game or not. For instance, Iron Man is an awesome flick precisely because the Marvel artist who originally designed Iron Man's armor was a genius, along with those who created the Tony Stark character (Stan Lee & Co.). I chose to help foot the bill for this movie because I liked the comic book hero enough; whether or not Paramount made an easy buck off an old idea really doesn't matter. Should we poo-poo Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey because he used Arthur C. Clarke's material? Great movies don't just materialize out of nothing. Not every producer/director is a George Lucas.
  9. Joined
    06 Nov '07
    Moves
    14 May '08 18:57
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Definitely Splinter Cell, my all time favorite game. A couple years back it sounded like it was in the works, but no news lately as far as I can tell. Who wouldn't want to see a heavily armed American ninja covertly saving the world from terrorists? The whole movie could be one non-stop mission, just like the game. I say, throw out the old pla ...[text shortened]... for Splinter Cell 2 or 3.

EDIT 2: I didn't realize how passionate I was about this.
    I would agree there with you. Great game!!! Loads of fun and would make a killing (depending on the director and the like) as a movie.
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '07
    Moves
    14 May '08 19:01
    What have you all got to say about Hitman?
  11. Standard memberRSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    The Dark Side
    Moves
    15 May '08 12:17
    Which Video Games would you like to see on the Big Screen and which video games should've stayed video games
    Jet Set Willy
    Bomberman

Any off the GTA's

Street fighter and MArio bros should not have been movies
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 May '08 19:25
    Originally posted by Vladimir93
    Horrible things.
  13. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    27 May '08 12:541 edit
    I think making a movie of each Metal Gear Solid game wouldn't be a bad idea. The games have plenty of plot, lots of bad guys and a guy who you'd legitimately want to root for. The games themselves are huge hits and I think would draw masses. Snake I think can be likened to a covert black ops Batman working for Uncle Sam, and the villains aren't too far off from that franchise either.

Edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808372/
    ... lol
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    27 May '08 13:48
    Originally posted by Vladimir93
    I thought Hitman was a great film.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 May '08 13:55
    Originally posted by lausey
    I thought Hitman was a great film.
    Are you being ironic? I like a good popcorn film as much as the next man, but Hitman was just terrible. The only thing I liked about it was seeing some images of Sofia, even if it's supposed to be St. Petersburg.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree