1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 07:36
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    This is an important book. Let me know what you think of it.
    Neal Stephenson -- I've started two books by him only to hit some barrier a hundred pages in and stop. Cryptonomicon got me very excited (it did indeed seem 'an important book'😉, but I couldn't push on through. Yet I was able to slog all the way through Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 07:39
    Originally posted by Mimor
    Excellent book, I thought. Definitely worth a re-read.
    I enjoyed it thoroughly -- so much so that I haven't opened Anansi Boys in fear that it will be a disappointment.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 11:56
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I enjoyed it thoroughly -- so much so that I haven't opened Anansi Boys in fear that it will be a disappointment.
    the road to wigan pier is extraordinary good book, but i was duped into think that he really was down and out in Paris and in London, now i learn it was a conscience appeasing experiment, does he really go and fight in the Spanish civil war, if so, i must read that.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 12:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the road to wigan pier is extraordinary good book, but i was duped into think that he really was down and out in Paris and in London, now i learn it was a conscience appeasing experiment, does he really go and fight in the Spanish civil war, if so, i must read that.
    He did, nearly getting killed for his efforts.
  5. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 13:16
    there's one based on his experiences as a policeman in Burma - can't think what it's called, but it's also worth reading.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 14:12
    Homage To Catalonia is Orwell's account of his time in the Spanish Civil War. It is an excellent book.
  7. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 18:111 edit
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    there's one based on his experiences as a policeman in Burma - can't think what it's called, but it's also worth reading.
    'Burmese Days' - kind of embarrassing that i forgot that😞
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 19:41
    Shock Wave- Clive Cussler
    My Family and Other Animals-Gerald Durrell
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 21:23
    I figured it was time to read:
    The Little Red Book
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 19:19
    Originally posted by scherzo
    I figured it was time to read:
    The Little Red Book
    It would make a perfect little gift -- the sort of thing you find at book shop check-out counters.

Is it any good?
  11. At the Revolution
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 21:26
    It would make a perfect little gift -- the sort of thing you find at book shop check-out counters.

Is it any good?
    Well, I actually got it at the local RCP store. Crazy wackos are even more leftist than I am.

And it's ok. I disagree with some of his ideas, and some are outdated or apply solely to China, but as far as Communist works go, it's in my top ten.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 21:32
    Well, I actually got it at the local RCP store. Crazy wackos are even more leftist than I am.

And it's ok. I disagree with some of his ideas, and some are outdated or apply solely to China, but as far as Communist works go, it's in my top ten.
    Is there anything in it that you could actually apply?
  13. At the Revolution
    Moves
    23 Jun '09 23:44
    Is there anything in it that you could actually apply?
    Well ... yes ... the ideal of Maoism. I'm not Maoist myself; I find the ideology too agrarian for my tastes.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 09:43

And just what is in your "Communist top ten." Can we have Casey Kasem count them down for us?
  15. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 10:15
    Well ... yes ... the ideal of Maoism. I'm not Maoist myself; I find the ideology too agrarian for my tastes.
    ah yes, Maoism. something to do with causing famines and turning kids against their parents, isn't it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree