What are you reading?

What are you reading?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I
Cause I'm the taxman

Moves
03 Jul 09

Turgenev: On the eve

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
04 Jul 09

The Elegance of the Hedgehog
-Muriel Barbery
©2008

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jul 09

Business Stripped Bare
Branson

rc

Moves
08 Jul 09

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jul 09

Singularity Sky, a sci-fi book by Charles Stross, engaging space opera.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Jul 09

How Life Imitates Chess -- Garry Kasparov

rc

Moves
13 Jul 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
How Life Imitates Chess -- Garry Kasparov
what is it like? the style? anecdotal? philosophical? political? is it captivating or quite dry, for there is a huge difference in chess books from ones that resemble knitting patterns to ones that are hugely enjoyable. i always felt that if i picked up a Kasparov book, if i dared to have a poke around or heaven forbid a contrary thought, it would snap shut on me until I stood at attention and my thoughts we re-aligned. that being said he I have no doubt he is a very humane and caring person. please tell me, what's it like?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jul 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
what is it like? the style? anecdotal? philosophical? political? is it captivating or quite dry, for there is a huge difference in chess books from ones that resemble knitting patterns to ones that are hugely enjoyable. i always felt that if i picked up a Kasparov book, if i dared to have a poke around or heaven forbid a contrary thought, it would sn ...[text shortened]... said he I have no doubt he is a very humane and caring person. please tell me, what's it like?
The sub-title gives the gist: 'Insights into life as a game of strategy'. Since I've never read a chess book in my life, I'm enjoying it a lot -- Kasparov, without going into complex detail (this is a book for the general reader!) covers the various aspects of chess (strategy, tactics, calculation, talent, preparation, material ... ) and shows how the qualities of a good player are applicable to other competitive activities (life). Historical and personal anecdotes liven it up considerably and yes, he's humane, with a sense of humour, even.

rc

Moves
14 Jul 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The sub-title gives the gist: 'Insights into life as a game of strategy'. Since I've never read a chess book in my life, I'm enjoying it a lot -- Kasparov, without going into complex detail (this is a book for the general reader!) covers the various aspects of chess (strategy, tactics, calculation, talent, preparation, material ... ) and shows how the ...[text shortened]... nal anecdotes liven it up considerably and yes, he's humane, with a sense of humour, even.
🙂

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
14 Jul 09

Non-fiction

The Magic Mirror: Law in American History (Kermit L. Hall)

Fiction

Altazor - Vicente Huidobro

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
15 Jul 09

Graham Greene - The Heart of the Matter

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Jul 09

Hans Magnus Enzenberger: Ach, Europa.
Alistair McAlpine: The Servant: A New Machiavelli.

F

Moves
17 Jul 09

Glen Garry Glenross - the 1984 stage play

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
18 Jul 09

At Play in the Fields of the Lord - Peter Matthiessen.

I recently read the Watson trilogy which was powerful, so it was while to read some other works of this author.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
21 Jul 09

Heavens On Earth
Utopian Communities In America 1680-1880

-Mark Holloway